NAS drives network optimization

Gost_dog

Anyone with experience with NAS drive?

I bough a mycloud 4tb from WD months ago and im loving it! its easy to configure and the remote access via HTTP and apple apps is great!

However, I came to a point I needed more space and started to worry about backup.

So this is my current setup:

Main 4TB, mycloud used for DATA.

AT the back of the mycloud device, used a USB 3.0 hub.

And added 1 seagate backup plus 5TB

and 2 WD mybook 5TB each.

My questions is speed wise, witch one should be used for media streaming?

I had in mind to use the mycloud + seagate as media streaming one... and the 2 mybook as backup device.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

I ended up testing both drives on the benchtest and actually there is not a big difference... the difference is the time it takes to reach cruise speed... so if your interested, for best optimization, higher dick RPM faster it reach the cruising speed... at least that is my deduction.

Interesting fact...

Since im extending my NAS drive using USB 3.0 to the other drive...

I noticed that when im transferring files from the main drive to the extension, the speed is VERY low... about max 23mb/s.

Anyone experiencing that?

My theory is that since im using windows explorer as the interface with the 2 location mapped as drives, i think it transfer the file to my PC and then to the final location which is completely stupid!

Even hardwired, with a 100MB/s connection and lan card, 23mb/s is my max speed...

When I use the NAS interface software to move files, I cant see the speed unfortunately but I times a transfer and it seems like were going to about 90.33mb/s (300go/h) that would confirm my theory with windows explorer.

Anyone experiencing that?

I tried to find a solution to do a NAS to NAS transfer with something else then win explorer of the NAS interface like an FTP program but without success...

I see that my NAS is FTP and SHH enable but Ive never done any SHH or FXP (server-to-server).

Any help would be appreciated...

Hi

can you set jumbo frame to 9Kb on the NAS Drive?

on the laptop / pc is this under Device Manager, Network ,

expanded,Jumbo Frame?

post-41173-14495001303161_thumb.png

i have see 100Mbit!

so 100Mbits is 12.5MBs! 1gbits / 125Mb pro second

23mb/s is fast for 100Mbit!

actually too fast :adoration:

Sry for my bad English.

LG

Chris

Not sure I understand your question...

This is my network card config:

post-41177-14495001304152_thumb.jpg

Jumbo frame is disabled (OS is in french)

But his is my PC not my NAS.

and I meant my ISP connection speed it is 100mbps max.

This is the slow speed, when transferring using Windows explorer.

post-41177-14495001304335_thumb.jpg

Right now its slower but ive seen 23... its just im doing a transfer right now from NAS to NAS usb.

And this is the speed I get from LOCAL SSD (SATA3 samsung 840pro + rapid share ON from samsung optimizator) to NAS:

post-41177-14495001304457_thumb.jpg

Current network speed when I did those test (LOWER then usual):

post-41177-14495001304623_thumb.jpg