What things to check to be able to determine if I have a defective laptop.

Marcus007

I am guessing you bought a used one? If so, I'd do the following:

- Install some temperature monitoring software (like HWInfo)

- Turn it on and see whether it works, run some benchmarks, see whether the numbers are roughly there and monitor the temperatures, see if it is overheating.

- Check for scratches etc.

- Check the status of your warranty online if possible

- Check for dead pixels, say create completely white image then stretch it on full screen

Also I don't know much about MSI but Thinkpads have a software that lets you check the number of battery cycles, so if you can do that check that out. [see here]

I hope this helps.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am guessing you bought a used one? If so, I'd do the following:

- Install some temperature monitoring software (like HWInfo)

- Turn it on and see whether it works, run some benchmarks, see whether the numbers are roughly there and monitor the temperatures, see if it is overheating.

- Check for scratches etc.

- Check the status of your warranty online if possible

- Check for dead pixels, say create completely white image then stretch it on full screen

Also I don't know much about MSI but Thinkpads have a software that lets you check the number of battery cycles, so if you can do that check that out. [see here]

I hope this helps.

Thanks. It really helps. :D I bought this brand new. I already have an Openhardware Monitor and downloaded some apps to test my CPU and haven't tested my GPU. I downloaded Prime95 abd Intel Burn Test. Would you kindly suggest me some good programs to test my CPU and my GPU?

• Founder

Good advice from unreal and also be sure to uninstall bloatware (e.g. preloaded antivirus programs--replace those with Microsoft Security Essentials). Also have a dvd on hand to check your drive to make sure it works and test out your speakers/microphone to ensure they work. Finally check all ports to ensure they are functioning properly.

Good advice from unreal and also be sure to uninstall bloatware (e.g. preloaded antivirus programs--replace those with Microsoft Security Essentials). Also have a dvd on hand to check your drive to make sure it works and test out your speakers/microphone to ensure they work. Finally check all ports to ensure they are functioning properly.

Thank you for replying Brian. I don't think there's any bloatware installed here because I have downloaded AVG as my antivirus. Yeap, have checked all ports except the E Sata and some earphones port. Haven't checked the dvd yet but I guess it's working because I used it to install the OS. Thanks again.

• Founder

Cool congrats on your purchase! If you get some time, put up your impressions/review of the notebook, we'd love to read it.

P.S. now that you got your new gaming laptop, come join us on our new T|I battlefield 3 server: http://forum.techinferno.com/pc-gaming/1398-t%7Ci-battlefield-3-64-man-server.html

Cool congrats on your purchase! If you get some time, put up your impressions/review of the notebook, we'd love to read it.

P.S. now that you got your new gaming laptop, come join us on our new T|I battlefield 3 server: http://forum.techinferno.com/pc-gaming/1398-t|i-battlefield-3-64-man-server.html

Thanks for the warm welcome. Will try it out when I already have BF3 installed in my laptop. :D

Hey, np. Few things:

- wPrime is good to see how the CPU runs at 100% utilization, whether it throttles down, overheats etc.

- Furmark is good to test the maximum possible temp your GPU will use, but I would actually suggest not using it, at least not at this point. It has a burn-in option that pushes your GPU a bit more than 99.99% of the games ever will. Some Alienware reps suggested not running that as it can overheat their GPUs (which I found really funny since its supposed to be a high-end gaming laptop).

- 3DMark 11 or 3DMark Vantage are decent benchmarks so you can get a number and compare that number with different people who use the same computer. I am not sure what kind of cooling this MSI has but if the GPU runs at 90+ C while gaming, it probably needs a better cooling paste etc. Since its new, it should run a bit below that though. I consider CPU and GPU temps up to 80C during heavy gaming acceptable. If it runs too hot the computer will automatically shut down or the CPU/GPU will downclock in order to cool down... but why push it.

- The best way is of course to run some 3D games and check out the FPS.

- I suggest you try out Microsoft Security Essentials as an anti-virus solution. It is free if you didn't pirate Windows :P and just works fantastically good for me I put it on all my computers. AVG is fine too if you don't want to mess around but I found MSE far less intrusive and annoying than anything else.

Also I deliberately avoided suggestion to check the ports, because at least for me for USB, the windows can bug out if you keep plugging in the same device to different ports (I think it keeps reinstalling the same driver or does something equally dumb). If you have an old-school crappy USB mouse that you can just plug in and see if it lights up, that will work fine though. :)

Another strange thing to check considering its a new system but the fan/s. I just got my m17x r3 8 days ago and there was something like a 1cm by 3cm piece of paper in one of my fans. I wouldn't have noticed but I was checking out the insides and removed the fan and was looking at the cooling fins to see how easy it would be to clean the and little paper fell out and then the noise level dropped which I am glad I found it so soon. Another thing I used to check with desktops not really with laptops but if you do open it up check to make sure everything is seated right. my old HP laptop had a wireless ant. not clipped on all the way and it was months before I noticed it.

Its an interesting idea but my policy is to NEVER open a laptop unless you are:

1. servicing something (cleaning fans, replacing a part)

2. upgrading (installing more memory, HD,...)

In this whole process of looking for a flaw, you might just create one. :) (I am thinking here of the cursed top plastic cover on Alienwares that has to "snap" and the little latches break in like 90% of the times.)

That said, if its a new laptop, why assume it has defects -- it has a warranty right? So if something is discovered later as wrong, just report it.

Mmskate and Unreal both your suggestions are 100% that is completely true if you take chance into consideration based on knowing the plastic tabs are delicate one should as said go into the unit only the minimum need to have your system fully configured. I have gone only into my system to add parts, replace thermal material, dust fans out. Monitoring your overall system and just using it the way you normally do is the best because if something is not operating right its bound to show up in daily use eventually.

• 7 months later...

Id suggest checking for any irregular sounds such as popping or crackling. Check the plastics for damage/cracks. Make sure all the hardware toggle buttons work IE: wireless, display switch, ROM Eject button. Update any and all drivers that can be found. Put the laptop to sleep, then awake. Hibernate then resume. Adjust brightness, volume, etc. Try an external display. Open notepad and type out every key on the keyboard. Let the laptop run without ac power to see how long the battery last.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel like my computer is screwed up or something. When I first got it, it ran great. Now I get some pretty poor graphics performance. Battlefield and even MINECRAFT run like junk. MINECRAFT!!! I tried using vsync and EVGA precision to lock the FPS at 60 but it keeps dropping down to 30. GT780R-012US.

I feel like my computer is screwed up or something. When I first got it, it ran great. Now I get some pretty poor graphics performance. Battlefield and even MINECRAFT run like junk. MINECRAFT!!! I tried using vsync and EVGA precision to lock the FPS at 60 but it keeps dropping down to 30. GT780R-012US.

How high does the temps get while under load? If they're too high the gpu will throttle.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a stuck pixel on my GT60. It stays lit and wont go away on its own.... If i gently put some pressure on it it will dissappear until the next time I reboot... Is there any way to fix this without sending it in or taking it apart??

Do you have any dead or defect pixel guarantee?

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much what to check for....but in my experience with laptops, especially anything approaching high end or gaming...dust in fans can cause so many problems that can cause you to waste hours checking other components when actually a 2 minute clean can solve the issues. I also despair when i see badly applied or poor quality thermal paste of a high end cpu or cpu - so I usually check/reapply when i have a go at the fans.