Throttling with modified VBIOS (GTX 780M)

buonca

Hi Guys,

I'm using AW M17x R5 and i got throttling (when gaming and benchmark) with Gtx 780m even flashed vbios with this guide:

Unlocked NVIDIA GTX 780M VBIOS

This is my benchmark result (3dmark11)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 068R5X

and GPU-Z log

GPU-Z Sensor Log - Copy.txt

post-40503-14495001128077_thumb.png

I already plugin the charge, set high performance and update latest driver but no luck.

Could you please help me :too_sad:

Thank you

Hey bud. Saw your message in the shout box.

Before burning any more calories on this, the driver is likely your problem. Try dropping back to 345.20 or an older driver from Dec, Jan or Feb and see if the thing runs right. I have three systems with GTX 780M and all of them have essentially been rendered worthless by NVIDIA cancer drivers. If I run anything newer than 345.20 they all throttle like there is no tomorrow.

Let us know if older drivers correct the problem. If so, you can join the "screwed by the Jolly Green Giant" club for 780M owners. If it still has the problem with drivers that old, something else is going on that will need to be explored.

Hey bud. Saw your message in the shout box.

Before burning any more calories on this, the driver is likely your problem. Try dropping back to 345.20 or an older driver from Dec, Jan or Feb and see if the thing runs right. I have three systems with GTX 780M and all of them have essentially been rendered worthless by NVIDIA cancer drivers. If I run anything newer than 345.20 they all throttle like there is no tomorrow.

Let us know if older drivers correct the problem. If so, you can join the "screwed by the Jolly Green Giant" club for 780M owners. If it still has the problem with drivers that old, something else is going on that will need to be explored.

Hi Mr.Fox,

Thanks for your response. I was dealing with couple issues when removing and installing elder driver (311.48) which from my resource DVD.

But unfortunately, the issue is not resolved :(.

Could you please give me another advice?

Thanks

@buonca - I'm not sure at this point what to recommend. I haven't been able to fix that problem with three different machines I have with GTX 780M. It makes me really sad, and I know how you feel because I have the same unresolved issue. This is a driver problem that only NVIDIA can fix as far as I know.

How severe is your throttling? How low does it go? How are your NVIDIA Control Panel settings? Make sure it is not set to "Adaptive" performance and you need to choose, not "Let the application decide" and that may help.

@buonca - I'm not sure at this point what to recommend. I haven't been able to fix that problem with three different machines I have with GTX 780M. It makes me really sad, and I know how you feel because I have the same unresolved issue. This is a driver problem that only NVIDIA can fix as far as I know.

How severe is your throttling? How low does it go? How are your NVIDIA Control Panel settings? Make sure it is not set to "Adaptive" performance and you need to choose, not "Let the application decide" and that may help.

How severe is your throttling?How low does it go? > Could you please have look at GPU-Z Sensor Log - Copy.txt?

How are your NVIDIA Control Panel settings? Make sure it is not set to "Adaptive" performance and you need to choose, not "Let the application decide" and that may help > I already set it before i ran benchmark

I think my VGA sucks :( . Could you please give me some trick to test new VGA (gtx 780m, i think i have to buy new one)?

Mine goes as low as yours does. I don't know how to fix it. It has the same behavior with all vBIOS and all drivers except 345.20 and older.

Mine does this the same as yours...

Date , GPU Core Clock [MHz] , GPU Memory Clock [MHz]
2015-11-13 01:17:27.375 , 405.0 , 400.0

The best suggestion I have is to try my driver mod here: Mr. Fox's GeForce 345.20 Desktop Driver Mod for Alienware and Clevo Mobile GPUs | NotebookReview

It's the only driver I use with 780M any more. Until NVIDIA fixes it, this will remain broken.

Hey @Mr. Fox

Can I ask you something? My 680M (Clevo 4GB) has the following issue with every driver starting 35X.XX. As soon as it hits 76°C, it drops utilization to around 40-60%, clocks stay the same. I only fixed this by rolling back to 347.88, a Pre-W10 driver.

To ensure it is not caused by driver remains or software issues I actually re-installed W10 for this. I will try your driver as well :)

Did you see anything like my issue before, and do you have an idea on how to fix it?

@sirana - It's probably the same driver power throttling issue that is manifesting in a slightly different way with 680M. NVIDIA has totally borked 780M drivers and it malfunctions for a lot of people, but fewer people complain with 680M.

Mine goes as low as yours does. I don't know how to fix it. It has the same behavior with all vBIOS and all drivers except 345.20 and older.

The best suggestion I have is to try my driver mod here: Mr. Fox's GeForce 345.20 Desktop Driver Mod for Alienware and Clevo Mobile GPUs | NotebookReview

It's the only driver I use with 780M any more. Until NVIDIA fixes it, this will remain broken.

I'm trying to do following your guide in that topic, but i got this error when i was installing the driver. This is not the first time, do you think my VGA is broken?

post-40503-14495001194836_thumb.png

I'm trying to do following your guide in that topic, but i got this error when i was installing the driver. This is not the first time, do you think my VGA is broken?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16540[/ATTACH]

No, you just have to add your GPU ID to the inf file, as he explains in the thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was installing success your driver, this is new log of GPU-z. Could you please have look?

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

p/s: this is new benchmark result (4821points :( ) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10545218

I was installing success your driver, this is new log of GPU-z. Could you please have look?

[ATTACH]16542[/ATTACH]

p/s: this is new benchmark result (4821points :( ) http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10545218

Your CPU score is crazy low. Can you show us a CPU-Z log or MSI Afterburner log that includes CPU temps and utilization?

Hi, this is latest log for CPU and GPU, please have look.

[ATTACH]16546[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16547[/ATTACH]

Your GPU tems are on the high side, in the 90's at times. But interesting that when it throttles, the GPU temp is fine. The problem should be the CPU, and in the CPU-Z.txt I can not read utilization/temps for the time period as in the GPU-Z log. Can you upload an MSI afterburner log which includes CPU values during the 3dmark run?

Edit: Anyway I strongly recommend you to clean your fans and repaste the GPU with quality thermal compound for sure. The healthy limit for GPU temps is around 80°C.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree with @sirana. Cleaning/repaste never hurts, even if it does not resolve the issue you remove that as a contributing factor and improve temps.

NVIDIA has a LOT of driver issues since the end of Q1 2015, the most severe of which appear to impact 780M performance, but there are lots of malfunction issues going on with mobile and desktop cards. They've really dropped the ball on drivers very badly and are consistently producing trash. They need to stop wasting calories on worthless garbage like GFE, Battery Boost and Shadowplay and focus on performance and stability. Those extra features are just bloatware that should be reserved for making the children happy once they have gotten their act together again with good working drivers. @J95 has worked his butt off to try to tweak their drivers for Maxwell, but Kepler seems to be more or less ruined at this point.

Your GPU tems are on the high side, in the 90's at times. But interesting that when it throttles, the GPU temp is fine. The problem should be the CPU, and in the CPU-Z.txt I can not read utilization/temps for the time period as in the GPU-Z log. Can you upload an MSI afterburner log which includes CPU values during the 3dmark run?

Edit: Anyway I strongly recommend you to clean your fans and repaste the GPU with quality thermal compound for sure. The healthy limit for GPU temps is around 80°C.

Here it is :)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 068R5X

HardwareMonitoring.txt

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

p/s: please change HardwareMonitoring.txt to HardwareMonitoring.html before openning

Dude, 2231 on physics score is like smartphone, Atom or AMD CPU material... way beyond pathetic. (OK, the AMD part is just a jab because they suck so bad at making CPUs.)

You need to fix that first, then, and only then, start thinking about GPU performance. That is SO LOW your GPU probably cannot work right. Something is very seriously wrong with the behavior of your CPU. Try re-flashing the BIOS and/or resetting BIOS defaults, because something is horribly wrong.

Dude, 2231 on physics score is like smartphone, Atom or AMD CPU material... way beyond pathetic. (OK, the AMD part is just a jab because they suck so bad at making CPUs.)

You need to fix that first, then, and only then, start thinking about GPU performance. That is SO LOW your GPU probably cannot work right. Something is very seriously wrong with the behavior of your CPU. Try re-flashing the BIOS and/or resetting BIOS defaults, because something is horribly wrong.

I didn't do anything with my CPU but enable Turbo boost in bios, i just flash vbios and install your moded driver.

Here it is :)

[ATTACH]16548[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16549[/ATTACH]

p/s: please change HardwareMonitoring.txt to HardwareMonitoring.html before openning

Judging from your CPU temps everything should be fine. It is interesting though that your CPU actually maxes out (90% + utilization) in the regular graphics tests, but not in the actual CPU test.

Are you running the latest BIOS? If you have spare time, try re-installing Windows. As [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] and me mentioned, the CPU score is ridiculously low. It should be 4x higher at least!

• Thumbs Up 1

Judging from your CPU temps everything should be fine. It is interesting though that your CPU actually maxes out (90% + utilization) in the regular graphics tests, but not in the actual CPU test.

Are you running the latest BIOS? If you have spare time, try re-installing Windows. As @Mr. Fox and me mentioned, the CPU score is ridiculously low. It should be 4x higher at least!

I'm running on original BIOS version for M17x R5 (A09), the latest one is A14. I will update the BIOS and try again :)

Agree with @sirana. Cleaning/repaste never hurts, even if it does not resolve the issue you remove that as a contributing factor and improve temps.

NVIDIA has a LOT of driver issues since the end of Q1 2015, the most severe of which appear to impact 780M performance, but there are lots of malfunction issues going on with mobile and desktop cards. They've really dropped the ball on drivers very badly and are consistently producing trash. They need to stop wasting calories on worthless garbage like GFE, Battery Boost and Shadowplay and focus on performance and stability. Those extra features are just bloatware that should be reserved for making the children happy once they have gotten their act together again with good working drivers. @J95 has worked his butt off to try to tweak their drivers for Maxwell, but Kepler seems to be more or less ruined at this point.

I'm using MSi GT70 20D with unlocked vBios (GTX780M card).. I've raised the value of core to +140 and memory +115.. it goes right without crash but the problem is I can't raise it more than that.. is there any advices? I'll be testing your driver soon (the 345.20 drivers).. FYI, I have stock BIOS.. and stock 180 PSU for my laptop.. really appreciate your advices in the future.. thanks a lot.