ASUS G73Jh HD 5870M DEAD fail vbios flash

evgasr2

Hi guys ,

My Asus G73Jh got bricked when I flashed MSI vbios with my Asus hd 5870m card so now the screen is blank , but I can do ctrl + alt + del restart , I can confirm this because after I press it the laptop restarts and keyboard light lights up again, and hdd spins.

so the culprit is the vga, I tried flashing vbios blindly but it doesnt get flashed, I tried to even backup my bios but it doesnt get backuped ( I do this things blindly im sure about the commands).

but I removed the vga and turned on the laptop then both the fans were on 100% speed , with the gpu it runs slowly ,

Now what should I do , should I desolder the vbios chip and re-program it with spi programmer and re solder it? can any one tell me which programmer I should buy and is there an alternate solution?

the vbios chip name : Pm25LV010

mods: please dont move thread until I find a fix because no one looks at Asus thread.

Thanks for helping.

• Founder

Hi @evgasr2 at this point the best person to help you is @svl7 since he has done this procedure many times and posted a relative article on how to do it here:

Recovering a notebook GPU from a bad VBIOS flash | Tech|Inferno

and trust me except me there are people that check all the threads and posts very often ;)

Thanks bro, but I talked with him , he said he will send a replacement chip ,but I want to reprogram my own chip so it will be very useful for me when i get it bricked again. so I wanted to know which programmer to use and is there a way to reprogram vbios chip without desoldering, otherthan blind flash it doesnt work.

I already told you what I can offer. You can send me your card or order a programmed vbios chip, that's all I can offer..

If you want to do it by yourself, fair enough. About the programmer, any which supports your chip will do.

Thankyou every1 , I have ordered the EZP2010 programmer for 33$ in ebay and Now I know how to program the chip with it. it comes with 2 smd holders.

that chinese guy will ship it today or tommrow , I wanted to say thanks to svl7 that in his thread he have mentioned that he used the ezp2010 to program the 6970m chip , he still has it and he will program the chip for my hd 5870m with it,so ezp2010 will do the job as I thought and svl7 proved it.

I think he should ship it soon.,

Thanks guys.

Il post after reprogramming.

Thankyou every1 , I have ordered the EZP2010 programmer for 33$ in ebay and Now I know how to program the chip with it. it comes with 2 smd holders.

that chinese guy will ship it today or tommrow , I wanted to say thanks to svl7 that in his thread he have mentioned that he used the ezp2010 to program the 6970m chip , he still has it and he will program the chip for my hd 5870m with it,so ezp2010 will do the job as I thought and svl7 proved it.

I think he should ship it soon.,

Thanks guys.

Il post after reprogramming.

glad to hear you decided to pick one up :) im also glad SVL7 and our team was able to get you the info you needed. Good luck on the fix.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Alas, my Asus G73 is working fine, but IM surprised that its working with an Dell hd 5870m , Do you know: I ordered an dell hd 5870m after ordering spi programmer,

because i was not sure if I reflash vbios chip and if it doesnt work, so to save time I ordered an dell 5870m.lol :D

can I flash it to 6870m? if so how?

my cpu is heating like hell what could be causing it to? but my gpu is on the ambient temp, lol this is surprising.

but the problem is soon after my laptop posts it goes to bios screen and after few seconds , my laptop will turn off it self >??

im using an 65W psu , is this enough to keep an i7 740qm with hd 5870m ?? but laptop turn's on and works for few secons , i can see the screen but after few second it would go off that's the problem does any one experianced it?

I dont think you can flash the 5870m to 6870m... If you had 6800_6900m series they can flash to AMD professional cards for CAD I know thats not what youd want anyway. Yes if somehow CPU is reaching max temp it could shutoff that fast... but if you have checked the CPU heatsink then that most likely isnt the issue. Sounds like it could be a few things. Is that AC adapter original... Did they make any more powerful adapters for that? Had a HDX 18 got replacement AC and it had too few amps and wouldnt even turn on... so its hard to say but yours shouldnt even turn on if AC wasnt enough... but if there is a heavier duty AC adapter for it id be looking into that. maybe the Dell card is at fault but I doubt that... there shouldnt be very big differences.

the cpu got heated before like that but the laptop didnt turn off automatically, I have even kept it over 10mins or so , noting happented,

but after I install the Dell card when I press power button for the first time , it started and turned off automatically and it automaticalled started again and then I saw then asus splash screen , but the screen looked like bit messy, so I inserted an ubuntu cd , then the ubunt logo was horrible , the colours are messed up like,

not normal , looks like flicking , but when I connect the external monitor that works like normal, very clear , and colours are awsom.

but with internal monitor there are artifacts moving like in the ubuntu logo , some of orange colour parts were flickering.

what could be causing it? and after few mins it turns off , not few mins , I should say seconds, like it stays 50 second from start up.

can this be the psu? the original one that comes from company is 150W but the one im using is 65W . can it be that.,

thank you

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

My G73 now doesnt turn off it self after I removed the internal lcd connector, its now like 25 mins without any probs running with dell hd 5870m and external monitor connected,

then i turned off my laptop and and connected the internal lcd cable and now it start to turn off after 56 seconds, so I removed it and now is running like a beast, so what can be the problem? can it be the lcd? or power psu , and I get artifacts moving, flickering on the screen.

thank you

Thanks a lot guys, the problem is now solved , I had to flash my dell hd 5870m to A00 version (its the old one) , the one on dell card was A01 , that's why there was corrupted colours, now the screen is awsome and doesnt turn off itself.

so that's how a fairly tale ends.

thanks a lot guys.

Its working... Ubuntu can have problems like that sometimes... installed on an older AMD gpu and it showed similar color and artifacts but even fully logged into Ubuntu. Your Asus gets you through.