Using internal monitor (Apple MB Pro Retina 13.3")

Nico

Hey guys,

today i received my Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box. I tried it on my Retina Macbook Pro 13 Late 2013 and it worked with a GT 720 eGPU @Thunderbolt2.

Windows 10 installed the latest GT 720 drivers and i was able to recognize the card in Device Manager, GPU-Z and Nvidia control Panel. But when i tried to launch a 3D app on the internal Retina display, the Iris iGPU was used instead of the GT 720.

So i rolled back to 350.12 drivers for Windows 8. With these drivers i was able to launch 3D apps using the eGPU, but they all crashed immediately.

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to use eGPU power to play games in Retina internal display in Windows 10? Or should I downgrade my OS to Windows 8.1 to do that?

2) I also Windows 7 capable of running eGPU for gaming in internal screen? (I would downgrade to Windows 7 if necessary because i don't like Windows 8.1 too much).

Currently the best way is to use Windows 8.1. imho Windows 8.1 isn't that bad, especially if you install sth. like "Classic Shell".

For Windows 10, we depend on Users to test a lot, because currently there is no "golden way" to get Optimus.

Maybe this post might help you: https://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10563-egpu-window-10-optimus-mode-problem-4.html#post151732