Throttlestop question

Hey guys, I had an interesting question about throttlestop on my m18x i7-2760qm.. For some reason when i use it - my c0% is stuck at 99.9 and the Watts reading on the main throttlestop page is around 58W and this is the max I can get with primary plane adjustments and TPL limits maxed out. When I put my computer to sleep and resume my c0% is 100.0 straight across and my Watts is around 64W resulting it better turbos. I have already disabled ProcHOT and my temps are fine < 90C (throttle limit also raised in unlocked bios). My question is - what is changing when waking it up from sleep so I can apply this from fresh start?

post-187-14494991960928_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Some more info - this c0% at 99.9 before sleep and full 100 after only occurs with prime95. With the TS Bench I get c0% = 100.0 before and after sleep so there is no issue there but TS Bench does not push me to 64Watts that Prime95 does after resuming from sleep. Maybe an issue with prime95? What is another quick benchmark I could try with high stress at 8 threads 4 cores? Attached is a picture AFTER sleep notice the new c0% and watts post-187-14494991961111_thumb.jpg

Edited by littleone562

I PM'd Unclewebb about it its very interesting. Intel Burn Test 8thread very high setting makes 4gb usage of your ram for test more ram actually does add more stress to the cpu and the test lasts longer. Try Very High setting first and select 8thread manually.

IntelBurnTest.zip

check out how many watts I can get on intel burn test AFTER sleep. This is a 2760qm remember :) Before Sleep it is locked to the usual 58-59W. Temps do reflect the increase in watts as now I hit 95C on stock 2760qm cooling where I would hit 91-92 max on 59W. post-187-14494991961393_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah I am getting a full 3.2 on turbo and longer turbos after sleep. That was just a random screenshot. My benchmark scores for my cpu are exactly where they should be and temps as well before and after sleep but benches higher after sleep, above the normal benches. So weird but after sleep it seems the hard power limit locks for the cpu are being bypassed. Unclewebb and me discussed this and he said this behavior might be on the verge of some discovery to bypass the hard limit power locks.

Edited by littleone562
  • Thumbs Up 1

A04 unlocked as well, in the unlocked bios page that cpu power settings disable turbo MSR lock its near the bottom and then try. Remember I have the 2760qm so my multi will be a bit higher but see if you can get the unlocked power draw in TS after resuming from sleep.

Edited by littleone562

• Founder
A04 unlocked as well, in the unlocked bios page that cpu power settings disable turbo MSR lock its near the bottom and then try. Remember I have the 2760qm so my multi will be a bit higher but see if you can get the unlocked power draw in TS after resuming from sleep.

Yeah msr lock is disabled but still nothing. Maybe it doesnt work with the 2720.

Oh well, I cannot really make good use of it because temps hit 96+ on stock cooling since the power draw is close to that of a 2920qm :P. It even goes up to 75W peak becuase I cannot adjust multipliers so it doesnt want more. It does seem unlocked power though.

Littleone power draw max of 2920 is undocumented and i have a pic on other computer not on my m18x now... that shows 200watt peak while i ran 4.7ghz 8thread (had a few runs with higher speeds but had not been monitoring power draw... just recently seen the 200 since last i een 155watts i caught in a throttle stop log) for a few secs... The max power draw is related to speed/voltage/amperage/load/temp all to give you the watts being drawn. You are obviously getting more of one of those. If the same test was performed twice and only difference was one had lower temp... the lower temp run will draw a undetermined amount of wattage less and also require less voltage too. So in that example you would see lowe VID and lower peak watts. Are you on stock thermal paste? You can see higher watts if its running hot but forced to continue on. I somehow think Intel XTU could either help or be involved. Widezu before going to XM had used it to help the unlocked bios turn off the short limit so that the 99watt max could be indefinite with no time limit attached... and ability in unlocked bios to raise amperage to allow turbo boost to maintain higher watts and there fore maintain the already set turbo limits... So Brian I would try XTU when you have time and combining both techniques well three the unlocked bios, XTU, TS and sleep method.... i know there is a key element. it must have to do with a sleep state set in power options in windows + a option we all (yes all must) have in our unlocked bioses related to power savings and sleep states etc... we need to compare notes. Can you post in your free time how all the options are set right now in your bios and in power options in task bar... the advanced options pci express, cpu, sleep mode can be sleep, hybrid or something... there's got to be a few key factors involved... also all the options for cpu you changed could you list them... bi-directional prochot... what else?

post-34-14494991961572_thumb.png

<!--EndF-->

Edited by mw86