920xm wont work with turbo boost enabled in m17x R2

Anal4o

Hey,

When I install the 920xm I bought recently it just hangs between after post info and windows loading screen- black screen, no HDD activity, no response from keyboard. When I disable turbo boost option , everything goes just fine. Its and alienware m17x R2 laptop, with A10 bios. I tried a clean windows install...just the same...could the BIOS be corrupted? I tried tweaking it a bit with Throttlestop today. It behaves like it doesn't get enough power. I can get the multiplier max to 19 on all cores, and its perfectly stable. As long as i try to get even 1 core ( tried on every core ) to 20 multiplier, the system hangs... I don't know what to think anymore...but I guess it's not a faulty CPU and the problem is elsewhere... Should I try reverting to A09? Any other suggestions?

Did you increased the Turbo Power Limits (TPL) ?

You should increase the Numbers to TDP 80 and TDC 62 and set the Button on Sync Profiles.

Then start an TS Bench with 8 Threads and 32M. While benchmarking look if the multiplikator stays at your 19.00 or if its throttling (going under 19.00)

The multiplier stays always on 19, so it doesn't drop...but still hangs when set to 20...temperatures on idle are around 46 degrees, and on load with prime 80-81...

Edit: I wonder if there could be some kind of conflict between the CPU and the GPU (6990m) , because since I installed the new CPU , the system wont shut down automatically...it actually shuts down, but doesn't power down, and I have to do that from the alienhead button...but as I said everything works fine with the older CPU (620m) and none of these problems persist