Flashing ATI HD 4870 Vbios

Long time no see :) well i sort of fixed all my problems i had with my R2, the Bluetooth problem seems to be a total mess so i am leaving it alone, just using a micro dongle when i need it.

My main problem now is with my Xfire 4870's, i dabbled in overclocking them just to get by until i upgraded to a couple of 6x. When i say dabbled i mean adjusting using TRIXX but even a slight modification 5-10 MHz resulted in BSOD. Looking into it a bit more it would appear that i need to unlock the Vbios on the cards to let me overclock using AMD Overdrive but i have no idea how nor can i find a tutorial.

Does anyone know how to do this? I cant seem to find a tutorial on how to do it for mobility cards, i am interested in doing it now only because when i checked my stats using GPU-Z it looks as if one of my cards is running at about 500MHz whilst the other is running at 100MHz even when benching? from what i have been told they can be pushed to around 820MHz using overdrive so i just wanted to check it out :)

I had the similar problem at some point. One of my cards (5870M) got stuck on Power Savings frequency but I managed to fixed it simply by doing clean driver install. I haven't tried overclocking mine. (Yet. :) )

I have downloaded a tool that allows an easy OC but from the looks of things one of my cards is acting strange, wont allow modification and will not raise to even stock clocks while in use so i don't know whats going on, found a patchy guide that suggests 3 different approaches (i am following the version that involves sliders lol) but i am going to try out a full uninstall plus wipe using a trace remover before i try out the pre boot DOS method :S

I tried a clean install after uninstalling and then using sweeper to delete traces....after 3 failed attempts with no error they finally installed and now my cards are running with the same frequencies :) tried some basic overclocking while they where running fine and still a series of BSOD's so i am now officially giving up and just going to live with it :)

Sounds like an issue with ULPS just check out some stuff on ULPS it may be what caused your prob back when Unreal and your prob now Adam... I had similar issues... when your issue was fixed upon re-install of drivers cleanly Unreal the registry entries for ULPS is reset.

In your case Adam you may need to disable ULPS so your cards can overclock... sometimes Afterburner and Trixx and many more can be used till you do that ... and why its an option in Trixx... but it can get buggy rather than cleanly re-installing to get the ulps issue fixed I restarted plenty in between and told trixx to start with windows and apply overclock at start up... plus toggled ULPS on and off eventually I got it working correctly... and when it wasn't it did same as yours Unreal Locked at 50-100mhz core lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Well my R2 is comparable to that "girl" you are almost 100% sure of but still need to sweeten up before you make any moves ;) I mean looking back on all my threads the AC Adapter cutting out was because of power limit problems when i was OC'ing, solved with a nice little medium. The bluetooth problems still confuse the shit out of me however it did let me re-install last night (0_0) trying the same thing i have over and over but it finally worked lol. Now finally the GPU overclocking problems, i mean TRIXX does say that i need to disable ULPS upon startup which i do promptly but even the slightest overclock of 10MHz results in a BSOD once in game, the lesser the overclock the longer i get, sometimes it will just BSOD upon launching a game :/

I am going to do some research into moving to a 6X/7X card in the next couple of weeks, until then i am going to bounce between BSOD's looking for that perfect whistle =)

• Thumbs Up 2

Well my R2 is comparable to that "girl" you are almost 100% sure of but still need to sweeten up before you make any moves ;)

ROFL !!! :21_002:

If you need a faster GPU, 7970M looks pretty insane to be honest. If it's going to be needed for Guild Wars 2 and I decide to play it, I might do some kind of upgrade 69xx/79xx. They may or may not be worth it depending what do you want to play. If not, I am sticking with 5870Ms for Diablo3 and League of Legends/DotA2. :) (Even though I think these games can be maxxed out on 1920x1200 even with a single 5870M).

Well the games of the moment at the likes of Battlefield 3, Skyrim, ANNO's and now i am back into World Of Tanks, all of witch i am running almost at full specs on 1920x1200 with a couple of modifications. I am planning on playing both Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 when Uni dies down for the year. So far i have to say the 4X cards have performed amazingly, i have never had a want or a problem with them and they have played everything apart from Two Worlds 2 not playing in crossfire :/ I was thinking of moving to Xfire 5870's for the time being since i can get a pair for about £80 so i can enjoy DX11 but i also want to move to a Sandy Bridge CPU and up my RAM to 8-16Gb for the summer but i think i will wait for them to drop in price when the Ivy Bridges roll in :)

Sounds like an issue with ULPS just check out some stuff on ULPS it may be what caused your prob back when Unreal and your prob now Adam... I had similar issues... when your issue was fixed upon re-install of drivers cleanly Unreal the registry entries for ULPS is reset.

In your case Adam you may need to disable ULPS so your cards can overclock... sometimes Afterburner and Trixx and many more can be used till you do that ... and why its an option in Trixx... but it can get buggy rather than cleanly re-installing to get the ulps issue fixed I restarted plenty in between and told trixx to start with windows and apply overclock at start up... plus toggled ULPS on and off eventually I got it working correctly... and when it wasn't it did same as yours Unreal Locked at 50-100mhz core lol

Just had the same problem again (GPU1 clock stuck on 500 MHz) and did what you wrote, worked wonderfully. Back to stock clocks! Thanks! :)

• Thumbs Up 1

i mean TRIXX does say that i need to disable ULPS upon startup which i do promptly but even the slightest overclock of 10MHz results in a BSOD once in game, the lesser the overclock the longer i get, sometimes it will just BSOD upon launching a game :/

My understanding with ULPS is that it sometimes requires changes to the registry, TRIXX worked for me but I remember reading about people having to go further to solve BSOD woes.

Well i have made some progress, uninstalled TRIXX and cleaned the registry sector it used, then re installed the latest version and after a few warnings and errors it seems to be holding nice :)

My stock Clocks for the XFire 4870's are;

GPU Clock - 550MHz

Memory Clock - 888MHz

VDDC - 1100

Moved them to;

GPU Clock - 600MHz

Memory Clock - 900MHz

VDDC - 1100

This worked fine through a good old bashing of World of Tanks, played for about 8 hours on max settings and not a single problem, going to move them up slightly. I am pretty sure i saw somewhere they are capable of running around 750MHz (GPU Clock) and 1175 (VDDC) but i am not sure about jumping that high to fast.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well i think it has finally allowed it to work :) everything is holding strong at;

GPU Clock - 650MHz

Memory Clock - 950MHz

VDDC - 1111

I have been benching using ANNO 2070 since it stresses the entire system when i play it and its going great :) going to move up another 0.50MHz tomorrow and bench again and see if it still works ok :) i can already see a big difference within ANNO so it should be noticeable in my other "Favorites"

Oh and thanks for the Regedit tip, at least i know it is disabled :)

At the stated OC I saw GPU temps of around 61°C-68°C from 43°C Idle and CPU Temps going from 40°C Idle to around 70°C

GPU Clock - 650MHz

Memory Clock - 950MHz

VDDC - 1111

This is with the Above overclock and it seems very stable so tonight when i have finished my long due uni work i am going to bump it up again by another 0.50MHz on each and see how it handles :)

EDIT:

Right moving the GPU clock to 700MHz causes problems, in short it BSOD just after a GPU failure "Pink Checkered" screen lol going to move up in 0.10MHz now and find a sweet spot :)

Edited by Adam Noble
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unreal and Adam glad everything has worked out on the ULPS topic :)

Adam I think the pink blocks and discoloration is caused from you video ram being clocked too high. It's one of the common ones seen for vram... Core tends to be white specs, driver crashes, crash to desktop.

Both core and mem can be black,missing textures or black random objects not part of the game scene.

Unreal and Adam glad everything has worked out on the ULPS topic :)

Adam I think the pink blocks and discoloration is caused from you video ram being clocked too high. It's one of the common ones seen for vram... Core tends to be white specs, driver crashes, crash to desktop.

Both core and mem can be black,missing textures or black random objects not part of the game scene.

Makes sense, i am making some slight changes here and there but not seeing anymore drastic performance increases anymore so might just stop for a while lol