Intel 310 PCIe SSD instead of the bluetooth module?

svl7

When I recently disassembled my system to take a look at the mobo, I realized that I have a bluetooth module, lol, didn't know this... I didn't order (and pay) it when I configured my M15x in 2009, hahaha, and I had it all the time, lol.

Anyway, I recently thought about getting an Intel 310 SSD (mini PCIe) for additional fast storage (as long asI can find a nice deal), now mrrey question... this should work in the slot where I currently have the bluetooth module, right?

Would be great for having the OS (or maybe second OS) there.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Very interesting, I am curious as well cause I haven't heard of anyone installing one to an M15x/M17x-R2. My only concern is if the bluetooth slot is mSATA compatible.... I would also consider buying one since I don't use the bluetooth card that came with my system and I have it removed from day one.

Chances are that there's no mSATA support... but it would be great! Hopefully I can find out more about this soon. Will let you know in case I got more info.

I was just on the phone with the Alienware support... I really hate the European support guys, they're stubborn and have no idea about the systems. I asked them whether the mPCI-e connection where the bluetooth module is plugged in was mSATA capable. The answer was "you can't put non-original hardware in your system or you'll loose your warranty. After discussing for a while he said he'll look it up, then he answered: "The bluetooth module is connected by mini PCI-express" ... wtf? Very helpful indeed...

He didn't give me any additional information, and he said that no one would have the information which I was looking for, and again, that I couldn't just use non-Dell hardware.

It's just crazy, in the US they have the policy that you're allowed to change GPU, CPU etc on your own, the new parts have no Dell warranty of course, but you won't loose your system warranty on the rest of the parts... (that's officially described like this in the Dell community forums) and here it's just like" ask a stupid question and you might loose your warranty".

So I still don't know whether it would work or not, probably not, but it isn't confirmed...

If it did would you see ssd speeds similar to desktop PCI express ssd's? They are know for nearly double to triple the transfer rate of sata3.

Edited by svl7

No, but about the same performance as with my Intel 320 drive, here you can see some benchmarks of the 310 series.

Lol, I accidentally posted my answer in your post, sorry, must've clicked on "edit" instead of "reply" and did't realize it :D

Hey

I'm not 100% sure. It seems like the M15x's mini pcie slots use the pci interface. The SSD should be using the same atleast.

Although not sure if the system will accept it even if it's compatible with everything else. You know, bios white/black lists ect.

I'm thinking of trying sometime when i get time. Unfortunately that won't be soon enough im afraid.

First thing is to make sure its using PCI and not USB.

Some info about the pcie slots:

Added 3G/WWAN Connection to M15x

i remember wanting to try this out a while back before i did the dvdrom -> ssd mod.

not sure who it was but someone tried it and i still remember the results. it doesn't work in the bluetooth module, however it did work in the wifi slot.

Oh, really? It works with the wifi slot? Wow, that's interesting!

Btw., nice to see you here! :D What are the speeds of an SSD plugged in the dvdrom connector? I thought the ODD was SATA I...

Oh, really? It works with the wifi slot? Wow, that's interesting!

Btw., nice to see you here! :D What are the speeds of an SSD plugged in the dvdrom connector? I thought the ODD was SATA I...

thanks

well here's a bunch i just downloaded ran this morning. when i spring clean sometimes next week, perhaps i'll swap the drives to see if there's any change in performance.

corsairdisk.th.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, for a drive in the optical drive slot... but I'm still wondering a bit about the mPCI-e SSD. If I can grab one really cheap I'll just slap it in and see whether it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too... but I guess it won't work. Apparently it should be possible in the M14x, but I doubt that our mobo will support it.

I quickly looked at the datasheet of the Intel 310 SSD and there's the pinout, I guess if I do some measuring at the different pins while the system is running I can find out a bit more... if the voltage pins are different than in the datasheet, mSATA won't work, otherwise there's a slight chance.

I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but I should be able to test it in a couple of weeks. The only problem is that the measuring is only possible when the system is running... so I'll have to disassemble half of the system and turn it on. The easiest way of course would be to simply buy a mSATA card and test it, lol. If I come across a cheap one I might buy it just to test whether it works or not.

• 1 year later...

I know this tread is old. I Just had a similar experiment with a Broadcom HD decoder from dell. (It did not worked in the Bluetooth's socket) But it did recognized and installed, in the half mini pci-e wireless card's socket. I not using the bluetooth and i have the socket empty because currently using a Dell Wireless + BT combo (Broadcom BCM94313HMGB) But is really interesting that any wireless card i stick there is working even a crappy ralink usb ones. and the mini pci-e diagnostic cards too.