Maximum SSD performance on your laptop with ThrottleStop and registry mod

StamatisX

• Founder

This is what I did to get the maximum performance out of my SSD (finally....)

You need the latest version of ThrottleStop, to perform a registry mod and an extreme CPU (:55_003:) like i7 920XM or 940XM if you don't want to loose the Turbo boost functionality.

Results

---no tweaks----only ppm------ppm+TS---

150d1299414178t-nothing-png147d1299413747t-before-png148d1299413758t-new-png

ThrottleStop settings

149d1299413866t-ts-png

With this mod, as you can see I gained 2MB/s reads and 13MB/s writes compared to applying only the registry mod and 7MB/s on reads and 39MB/s !!!! on writes with reg mod + TS applied compared to stock settings. That's a very noticeable improvement. The only problem is the temperatures, I am with the retention mod and still as you can see from the TS screenshot I get 70C+ easily... but I am constantly at 3.5GHz on all 4 cores :Banane09:.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Great results StamatisX. I'll give it a try since i have a 920XM. Cudos on the 3.57Ghz 8thread quadcore!

Thanks, yeah give it a try and tell us know if you saw any improvements.

All the following tests were done with throttle stop set to no c1e state and no EIST.

th_beforestamsmod90tdpandtdc.jpg This pic is of WEI score with 90tdp and tdc before registry mod.

th_beforestamsmod130tdpand110tdc.jpg This pic shows WEI score before registry mod using 130tdp and 110tdc.

th_beforestamsmod130tdpand110tdcusingcrystaldisk.jpg Pic of crystal disk on 4k with 130tdp and 110tdc before registry mod.

th_beforestamsmod130tdpand110tdcusingcrystaldiskalltests.jpg This pic displays crystal ran using 130tdp and 110 tdc before registry mod.

th_afterstamsmod130tdpand110tdcusingcrystaldiskalltests.jpg This pic is the first run of crystal disk after registry mod.

th_afterstamsmod130tdpand110tdcusingcrystaldiskallteststest2.jpg This pic shows 2nd run of crystal disk after registry mod.

th_afterstamsmod130tdpand110tdcusingwei.jpg This pic shows WEI score after registry mod

th_strangefindingafterevrything.jpg this pic shows the QPI readings are messed up and confirmed by second run of intel processor ID utility on the following pic

th_strangefindingafterevrything2ndtime.jpg

th_anotherstrangefindingafterevrythingaftershowlogonscreenwhenresuming.jpg This pic shows that after idle and require password on resume is enabled baseclock drops to default 133mhz

StamatisX, Michael or Brian do you know what these anomalies are?

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

By the way StamatisX I badly need to get paste and and do the retention mod did you see my temps? As for a quick update i'm starting to notice its anytime it sits for a little while. I'm gonna uninstall processor icons like the article states to undo this and see if that fixes this because i think now its not this registry mod doing this but the fact that I am now on the Wiz's version 1 Modded Bios and read that there was a similar issue with bios A10 and may have carried over to modded bios. Not sure what to think but wish i could keep this baby cool enough to keep a constant 3.57ghz on anything. StamatisX do you use a tdp or tdc around what i was using? Any thoughts on this subject?

Edited by mw86
Added

• Founder

mw86, I only use TDP 92, TDC 87

post-3-14494987595364_thumb.jpg

Those numbers occurred after trial and error by running the applications I mostly use (ie Eclipse or games) and determining what the TDP and TDC has to be in order to maintain the 26x multi across all cores.

I am also on 3% BIOS overclock, and the fact that when you enter into sleep mode you loose the BIOS overclock has to do with Dell since that is a bug from day one, even the R1 has the same problem.

The cooling of the R2 unfortunately is not enough to keep it cool at clocks like 3.5GHz under every circumstance ie prime95 or wprime 1.55 1024M and by raising the TDP and TDC too much you will exceed the Tj and the laptop will shut down or crash, with lower settings you simply won't maintain those multipliers so you need to experiment a bit.

For the SSD performance all you need is to disable the EIST,C1E, do the registry mod and you are set, you won't see any performance gain from adjusting the TDP,TDC

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay thanks for the warning. I've used 98tdp 4%overclock and 25turbo muliplier for 4 and 3 core and 26 for 2 and 1 core. This gives 7.6 for mem and cpu on WEI. All on stock volt. The one I used for the 3.57 on those was exactly like you wrote 3% overclock and 26multiplier on all cores with a 75mv cpu increase. I'll stay away from the 130 tdp and 110 I know these are what a desktop processor would reach and could cause damage. Thank you I'll try the regedit again. When I went back to my computer I checked out the device manager and all cpu's had yellow exclamation so I uninstalled all and rebooted and it is acting normal also disabled sleeping. Thanks for the help I'll let you know where about I settled on TDP and TDC. I think I misunderstood all of your posts... So if your under extreme load StamatisX your cpu isn't running at 3.57? See I thought your 3.57 was unyeilding to anything you throw at it. I'll get this yet... So using a bit lower tdp and less voltage may yeild best results in the end due to thermal roof. By the way did any of those results show the proper improvement the mod is supposed to show? I noticed it gave you more 4k write and read speed, and for me seemed to affect the larger file size more than the 4k for me. Still I see an improvement and I think that at 7.9 Wei score for hard drive after mod is the highest it's ever been. I have only reached 7.7 in the past with all the regular tweaks.

Edited by mw86

• Founder
Okay thanks for the warning. I've used 98tdp 4%overclock and 25turbo muliplier for 4 and 3 core and 26 for 2 and 1 core. This gives 7.6 for mem and cpu on WEI. All on stock volt. The one I used for the 3.57 on those was exactly like you wrote 3% overclock and 26multiplier on all cores with a 75mv cpu increase. I'll stay away from the 130 tdp and 110 I know these are what a desktop processor would reach and could cause damage. Thank you I'll try the regedit again. When I went back to my computer I checked out the device manager and all cpu's had yellow exclamation so I uninstalled all and rebooted and it is acting normal also disabled sleeping. Thanks for the help I'll let you know where about I settled on TDP and TDC. I think I misunderstood all of your posts... So if your under extreme load StamatisX your cpu isn't running at 3.57? See I thought your 3.57 was unyeilding to anything you throw at it. I'll get this yet... So using a bit lower tdp and less voltage may yeild best results in the end due to thermal roof. By the way did any of those results show the proper improvement the mod is supposed to show? I noticed it gave you more 4k write and read speed, and for me seemed to affect the larger file size more than the 4k for me. Still I see an improvement and I think that at 7.9 Wei score for hard drive after mod is the highest it's ever been. I have only reached 7.7 in the past with all the regular tweaks.

With 3% BIOS OC you most likely don't need extra voltage, if you add extra voltage to your CPU your temperatures will raise even further and you won't be able to maintain high multipliers without external cooling. Anything above 3% thought will require voltage but according to my tests, the heat resulted in lower performance.

So far I haven't see any program to stress the CPU close to what wprime 1.55 or intelburn test does, let alone the prime95... so don't worry about it, all you need is to maintain the multipliers you want based on the software you are using, if you do something that pushes the CPU to those extremes like the programs mentioned above then you will have to settle to lower multis.

About your 4K writes, I think your SSD has low random read/write performance from the factory and that you are already maxing it out, that's why it seems unaffected. If you see my CDM screenshots, my SSD can hit those writes without any mod, so the only improvement you will see is on the sequential ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

With 3% BIOS OC you most likely don't need extra voltage, if you add extra voltage to your CPU your temperatures will raise even further and you won't be able to maintain high multipliers without external cooling. Anything above 3% thought will require voltage but according to my tests, the heat resulted in lower performance.

So far I haven't see any program to stress the CPU close to what wprime 1.55 or intelburn test does, let alone the prime95... so don't worry about it, all you need is to maintain the multipliers you want based on the software you are using, if you do something that pushes the CPU to those extremes like the programs mentioned above then you will have to settle to lower multis.

About your 4K writes, I think your SSD has low random read/write performance from the factory and that you are already maxing it out, that's why it seems unaffected. If you see my CDM screenshots, my SSD can hit those writes without any mod, so the only improvement you will see is on the sequential ones.

Thanks for the advice. I've had pages and pages of notes of different speeds, temps, settings, tdp's i have tried when stability testing and i'm trying to learn the curve. Temps play a great roll in all this and I agree the use of any voltage at all makes it slower due to this increase in heat. I'll try no increase in voltage and see how things fair then. The main thing is this mod works great and its even got me thinking later down the line if i need to format i may change the Raid 0 setup from 128kb to 4k or 16k. It may bring my Sequential down but 4k may be improved.

• Founder
The main thing is this mod works great and its even got me thinking later down the line if i need to format i may change the Raid 0 setup from 128kb to 4k or 16k. It may bring my Sequential down but 4k may be improved.

You can try but IMHO you won't see any difference because you are already maxing it out the 4K and what's left for this SSD are the sequential reads and writes... what you can try to do is to keep the stripe size to 128 and change the cluster size to 64K because by default Windows format the disk with 4K.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thats a great suggestion I guess I'd have to get it formatted before Windows is installed or being installed, I don't think I can adjust the cluster size on the windows installer.

• Founder
Thats a great suggestion I guess I'd have to get it formatted before Windows is installed or being installed, I don't think I can adjust the cluster size on the windows installer.

It is very easy actually, you have to type like 6 commands at the beginning of Windows installation and you are all set. I will make a thread so you can follow the instructions or post any problems you might encounter.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice tweak. I need to test a bit more... sometimes my CPU just stays at a multi of 9. Closing and starting TS seems to help... hmm.

However, I don't think I need to have C1 and EIST disabled all the time... the disk is a bit faster with them disabled but most of the time the lower temperature is preferable to me. I don't think the difference is really big in everyday task.

Here some runs:

No tweak applied, fresh install of Windows 7:

cdmintel320.th.png

Tweak, but EIST and C1 are enabled:

cdmintel320tweakeistc1b.th.png

Tweak with C1 and EIST disabled in Throttlestop, multi 25x across all cores:

cdmwithtweakintel320300.th.png

Nice tweak. I need to test a bit more... sometimes my CPU just stays at a multi of 9. Closing and starting TS seems to help... hmm.

However, I don't think I need to have C1 and EIST disabled all the time... the disk is a bit faster with them disabled but most of the time the lower temperature is preferable to me. I don't think the difference is really big in everyday task.

Here some runs:

No tweak applied, fresh install of Windows 7:

cdmintel320.th.png

Tweak, but EIST and C1 are enabled:

cdmintel320tweakeistc1b.th.png

Tweak with C1 and EIST disabled in Throttlestop, multi 25x across all cores:

cdmwithtweakintel320300.th.png

I have noticed the same sticking of the 9x multiplier in the use of throttle stop and this tweak. Other than reopening TS (ive been using eversion 2.99.9) I found reselecting eist, C1 and select turbo off and selct multiplier turbo and then uncheck all of them the multiplier is back at the max turbo multiplier you set again. I think it is whenever you switch to a profile with powersaver on and try to switch back to a performance profile with this tweak in throttle stop.

actually to correct myself all you need is the set mulitplier box checked with it set to turbo then when you switch from powersaver to performance it sets back to your max multiplier

Thanks, I'm going to try this. Besides this issue it's really a nice tweak!

@StamatisX: I'm not really familiar with the older Intel drives, but the 320 series definitely isn't the fastest in benchmarks so far. The reasons I went for this drive were mainly the size (300GB is ok, preferable to 256GB and much less expensive than 512GB) and reliability (I heard that the older Intel drives are pretty reliable). Maybe they can improve the performance a bit with a firmware upgrade sometime.

those new Intel 510 series are outrageously fast the 256gb can go 500+mb reads and like 350+ write on a single ssd and priced nice for a 256gb flavor. May I suggest you make a Throttle Stop profile that has the EIST and C1E disabled and the powersaver etc. and another profile with those enabled so at the drop of a hat you can have your multiplier locked for quad core or switch profiles and have power saving features still work and allow turbo boost to once again dynamically boost according to the single, dual, triple or quad core turbo boost max multiplier that you have set. Like constant 3ghz quad core or 3ghz quad, 3.2ghz triple core, 3.4ghz dual core or 3.6ghz single core. However you set it up with the profiles feature its like the tweak has not affected anything as you can have the "best of both worlds."

Edited by mw86

I apologize but I have to correct myself again above I stated with this tweak you can keep dynamic turbo boost but you can't. It's like this with this tweak you can set a turbo boost max the same for the multipliers any number thats higher is void, it uses the lowest value you set for the turbo multipliers in throttle stop. But without the tweak you can set a setting for 1, 2 , 3 or 4 core and it will boost to the multipliers you set for each scenario. So without tweak you can set different turbo multiplier max settings per amount of cores used and with tweak only the lowest value set here will be used but it will keep processor at that value at all times. So it's your choice.

• 7 months later...

Quick question, on the registry guide it has the second registry change missing. Another individual noted that it should be "

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Processor

be changed to "4" as well

Just making sure this is accurate.