Help with modding INF...

jand2340

Hello all

I have a alienware 17 that I purchased in December. It came with a 860m which I promptly switched with a 970m 6gb that I bought through HID.

I have messed with downloading different drivers and modding the inf which Im not sure if Im doing right but, I am running DDU and disabling driver enforcement on win 8.1 pro and the driver actually installs, but when it reboots I can only get as far as AIDA64 dectecting and waking the gpus on

boot and the screen will freeze. Im at a total loss here on whats going on. Id really like to be able to overclock my card.

here is my hardware info

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_05AA1028&REV_A1

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_05AA1028

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&CC_0300

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

post-32874-14494999516885_thumb.png

ok i tried what you said j95 and im still having boot issues and black screens. maybe I dont have a full understanding of what I need to replace in the .inf file. and i am just editing the nv_dispi.inf file only

The .inf I linked above is already modded, use it as future reference. Again, extract downloaded driver (stock INFs), this time use Modded nv_dispi.inf v347.52_AW remember to disable driver signing before installing drivers.

BIOS settings -> Boot options -> set UEFI -> "Load Legacy Option Rom" Disabled -> "Secure Boot" Disabled...? http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-102.html#post119029

so replace the whole nv_dispi.inf file with your modded one? and as always I disabled driver signing before installing and load legacy option and secure boot are disabled. Last time I did replace the entire nv_dispi.inf file with the modded one and that just gave me a blank screen when aida64 extreme was loading on the boot. sorry to be a PITA ive never messed with driver modding

- - - Updated - - -

just out of curiosity could my aida64 extreme that I have running at boot be causing any of these issues??

so replace the whole nv_dispi.inf file with your modded one? and as always I disabled driver signing before installing and load legacy option and secure boot are disabled. Last time I did replace the entire nv_dispi.inf file with the modded one and that just gave me a blank screen when aida64 extreme was loading on the boot. sorry to be a PITA ive never messed with driver modding

- - - Updated - - -

just out of curiosity could my aida64 extreme that I have running at boot be causing any of these issues??

Yep, overwrite. Extract v347.52 to avoid previously modded INFs, only use nv_dispi.inf above.

Disable 'Aida64 Extreme', NV Optimus Intel drivers should be installed first or use Dedicated mode. GPU switching you need to install AW OSD from here

sorry for the late reply j95 I had to work out of town. I did EXACTLY as you said and I still have freezing issues at boot.. Im at a total loss!!

guess im stuck with the drivers that HID provides for this 970m

@jand2340 here you go,

Run DDU, under options uncheck 'AMD Audio Bus' (bug) & disable driver signing

GeForce Hotfix driver 347.71

GeForce 347.71 HF

Optimus AW -> Display.Driver folder

nvcvi_v347.71_AW_Optimus_GTX_980M_970M.zip

• 7 months later...
@jand2340 don't edit nvdmi.inf/Dell, sections including this parameter/setting "NvSupportMSHybrid = 1" should be avoided. Instead edit nv_dispi.inf, using desktop 980/970 entries.

Run DDU 'Clean and Shutdown' then disable driver signing.

GeForce 347.52 WHQL

Modded nv_dispi.inf v347.52_AW

If I installed my gtx 970m on my m15x with modified nvdmi.inf instead of nv_dispi.inf could that cause performance issues?

• J95 locked this topic