Single GTX 780ti or (2x) GTX 670 FTW (sli)

eimart

Hello guys,

I've never had 2 video boards in SLI in my desktop. I am now using a EVGA Gtx 670 FTW, and I have two options of upgrade.

First option is sell my Gtx 670 and buy a evga gtx 780 ti and use it as a single video card.

The second option is to keep my evga gtx 670 FTW and buy another one to connect in SLI with the board that I already have here.

My main question is what will be better for gaming? 2x Gtx 670 FTW or 1x Gtx 780ti?

Here are the specs of both card:

Gtx 670 FTW edition :

Base Clock: 1006MHz

Boost Clock: 1084MHz

Memory Clock: 6208MHz

Cuda Cores: 1344

Gtx 780ti superclocked edition:

Base Clock: 980 MHz

Boost Clock: 1046 MHz

Memory Clock: 7000 MHz Effective

CUDA Cores: 2880

3072MB GDDR5 384bit Memory

Microsoft DirectX 11.2, OpenGL 4.4 Support

Nvidia TXAA Technology, Nvidia GPU Boost 2.0, Nvidia Adaptive Vertical Sync, Nvidia Surround, Support for Concurrent Displays, Nvidia PhysX, Nvidia 3D Vision Ready, Nvidia SLI Ready, Nvidia CUDA Technology

PCI express 3.0

Thanks guys!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder

Single 780 ti for sure. No sli scaling to worry about, no microstutter (although with the 700 series and titan it's minimal) and you can add a second card later.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Have any of you who are bashing SLI actually done it? It's so obvious that most SLI haters are simply regurgitating what they've READ on the Internet, or tried (and failed) with AMD cards. Newer Nvidia cards- such as the GTX 670- run beautifully on SLI. I would know- I've been rockin this setup for about 18 months with hardly an issue. SLI 670's (especially OC'd) will definitely beat a 780ti, so why suggest a "sidegrade" for $700 when a second 670 can be had for less than half of that?

Heat? No, not with a good case (and you shouldn't be buying anything high perf. if you have a crappy case anyway).

Noise? Not really... remember SLI'd cards only have to do half the load, so they don't get that warm.

Microstutter? I think it's happened ONCE, and I was able to fix it with a few tweaks.

If someone is starting from scratch, then sure- go with the best single card you can afford... but if you already own a 670, SLI makes the most sense by a mile.

some games dont work on sli or crossfire but if you arent playing those games (some new big titles are like that) than the question is budget and a processing vs memory question. GTX 670 has 2GB or vram while a gtx 780ti has 3GB. New games and high res use more vram while 2x gtx 670 will not double the amout of vram.

In terms of outright performance both setups will return about the same FPS. The 780TI will be better at higher resolutions or games which use a lot of VRAM (whether they require it or not) - like Watchdogs.

Honestly though, if you can pick up the 670 cheaply I would go down that option and upgrade properly when the true next gen Maxwell cards hit.

Alternatively look at a GTX780 (non TI) and overclock it. At around 1200/7000 it should match up reasonably well to a stock 780TI.