NVIDIA GTX 700 series - modified VBIOS

svl7

I imagined that people would like a vbios similar to the one I released for the Titan, so here you go.

As I don't have 780 myself I'll need your feedback in order to adjust the mod in case something doesn't work as it should.

Thanks for the people who tested it so far, all seems to work fine.

Features of the "OC edition":

• Boost 2.0 disabled - the card runs at the clocks you set it to
  • Voltage is adjustable up to 1.2125V
  • Default power target = 350W (so there should be no more need to adjust it manually per software, EVGA classified vbios is set higher)
  • Fan speed adjustable up to 100%
  • Clocks are stock, card idles normally at 2d voltage

• 'rev03' adds undervolting capabilities

To clarify some things - as boost is disabled clocks and voltage will be fixed in 3d mode. In all other performance profiles the card will behave just as the with the stock vbios.

The main differences to the stock vbios is that there is no throttling.

NOTE: If your 780m came with a 80.10.3A.00.xx or newer vbios from the factory, then please don't use an older version. People have reported issues when using an older vbios on 780s that came with 3A or newer.

The reason for this might be a slight revision on the board or GPU. It won't harm if you flash an older vbios on such a card, but it can cause crashes and unstable behavior.

Download links 'OC edition':

Nvidia_GTX_780_(EVGA)_80.10.3A.00.82_-_'OC_edition_v03'.zip

EVGA 780 - SC ACX - 80.10.3A.00.81 - 'OC edition v03' (new fan profile).zip

Nvidia_GTX_780_-_80.10.36.00.01_-_'OC_edition_v00'.zip

80.80.30.00.01_-_GTX_780Ti_'OC_edition'_v04.zip

MD5 sums for the paranoid guys:

Spoiler

EVGA 780 - SC ACX - 80.10.3A.00.81 - 'OC edition v03' - 6FD7FDEE05120BF41F98B5CC898A8CD1
EVGA 780 - 80.10.3A.00.82 - 'OC edition v03' - CDCFC4B53F0676E0AAA86A73BDE3B2FB
EVGA 780 - 80.10.3A.01.80 - Classified_LN2_'OC edition' - C61934619746349575E4E3BF03CC0B3E
EVGA 780 - 80.10.3A.00.80 - Classified_normal_'OC edition' - 236A73C0DA85A170CAF867E0D9A57CB4

EVGA 780 Classified - 80.10.3A.0x.80 - 'OC edition v03'.zip

EVGA 780 - SC ACX - 80.10.3A.00.81 - 'OC edition v03' (new fan profile).zip

• Thumbs Up 43

• Founder

Very nice turn around time on the mod man! I'm sure lots of 780 GTX owners will appreciate it. For those asking about it being on the main download page, he hasn't even beta tested the vbios yet and isn't even sure it works, I'm pretty sure its not ready for that yet.

• Founder
I personally can't wait for it. My card has me limited at 1.18 for whatever reason, :too_sad:

I thought you had a Titan before or did you sell it? Anyway, try NVInspector to change your voltages, I found that Precision X and its variants can be buggy at times. Just so you guys know: Once @svl7 has determined the vbios is 100% stable and has received enough bug reports from you guys, we'll make the final version available to all on the main download portal. In the mean time, please submit any bugs you encounter (or if you don't and just want to brag about your new high score) in this thread and/or forum. We won't be giving any support on other forums.

I thought you had a Titan before or did you sell it? Anyway, try NVInspector to change your voltages, I found that Precision X and its variants can be buggy at times. Just so you guys know: Once @svl7 has determined the vbios is 100% stable and has received enough bug reports from you guys, we'll make the final version available to all on the main download portal. In the mean time, please submit any bugs you encounter (or if you don't and just want to brag about your new high score) in this thread and/or forum. We won't be giving any support on other forums.

I returned my Titan's for 780s. Been using the bios on my EVGA GTX 780 SC since last night and so far so good. Haven't ran into any bugs as of yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I returned my Titan's for 780s. Been using the bios on my EVGA GTX 780 SC since last night and so far so good. Haven't ran into any bugs as of yet.

Sounds good, can you post a benchmark and or some graphs showing the clocks? Also if you don't mind can you send me or upload the SC vbios?

I haven't been able to find that version either... contacted someone who hopefully will have it though and will post it if I get it :). I'm going to try this BIOS on my 780 around 30 minutes after it's installed in my system (make sure it works properly first and see its default boost behavior, then flash). Still crossing my fingers for an early delivery...

Welp, this has me stopped in my tracks:

C:\nvflash>nvflash -b backup.rom

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.134)

Adapter: D15U-50 (10DE,1004,3842,2784) H:--:NRM B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds during access to the

EEPROM depending on your display adapter and output device.

Identifying EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (C8,4012) : GD GD25Q20 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page

Reading adapter firmware image...

ERROR: PCI Block chain corrupted - PCI Expansion ROM Header not found - GetUEFIS

upport() failed

Same error with the DOS version of NVFlash. Card is an EVGA 780 SC w/ ACX cooler and mobo is ASUS P8P67 Pro rev 3.0 if that makes any difference.

You're trying to back up the stock one? If so use gpuz 0.64 (yes old version) to do so. Then try flashing with NV flash with the new bios. Edit,not at my desk so may have number wrong but here is the link. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48112&d=1344772659

You're trying to back up the stock one? If so use gpuz 0.64 (yes old version) to do so. Then try flashing with NV flash with the new bios. Edit,not at my desk so may have number wrong but here is the link. http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48112&d=1344772659

That did the trick. And NVFlash 5.134.0.1 worked just fine to flash the modded BIOS.

Power Target is now 115%. Voltage is now 1212mV. Off to run some tests.

I can't test the versions myself since I don't have a 780, and the Titan doesn't work very well with a 780 vbios, hehehe... (and I assume vice versa won't work either, i.e. Titan vbios on a 780.... can anyone confirm this?)

MD5 sums for the paranoid guys:

Nvidia GTX 780 - 80.10.36.00.01 - 'OC edition v00' - 9FE763F778DAEF629E4B54F9C6F6E466

depending on where u live in the famous Heidiland ... may u can test it. My card will arrive most likely at the end of this week .. depending on customs .. but the rest off the pc not before middle end next week. Just let me know per pm.

That did the trick. And NVFlash 5.134.0.1 worked just fine to flash the modded BIOS.

Power Target is now 115%. Voltage is now 1212mV. Off to run some tests.

Yeah power target should be adjustable to 115%, but the default value is already set above the stock vbios. Stock 3d voltage shouldn't be 1.212V though... if you don't adjust anything, what's your 3d voltage?

Yeah power target should be adjustable to 115%, but the default value is already set above the stock vbios. Stock 3d voltage shouldn't be 1.212V though... if you don't adjust anything, what's your 3d voltage?

I was referring to max voltage being 1.212V. Default is 1.162V. Default GPU clock at load is 901MHz and memory is 3005MHz.

I was able to get a stable pass on Valley with 1215/3506 at 1.212V. 72.9 FPS and 3050 score.

Previous best with stock EVGA SC BIOS was 1163/3557 at 1.187V. 70.2 FPS and 2936 score.

• Thumbs Up 1