Titan on overclocked PCI Express bus

silvertop

• Founder

Mines pcie 3.0 but anyway bclk overclock just made it unstable. I'd stick with multiplier only.

If you have an lga 2011 board and something like 3820 then bclk should work fine in a single card.

Sent from my GT-N7000

• Founder
Mine is running on 105MHZ now and is 100% stable.

I run at 125 bus blk with my 3820. Tri sli titans. 3820 is at 4.8 and with pci e 3.0 nvidia patch

What patch?

25% OC! That's insane! I wish the Areca cards could go higher. The 1800 series have some sort of protection built in that shuts them down somewhere around 109MHz. The 1600 series did not and I remember if you went higher than about 115 or so it would beep rapidly and the logs would show 1bit DRAM errors so they are probably playing it safe. It does provide over 100MB/S extra bandwidth (if you need it) on storage arrays going from 100 to 105 for example. I know the controller is good here just wanted to make sure the graphics cards could take it. I know AMD cards don't do well in an overclocked pci bus environment. It would be subtle but flickering pixels could be seen on the desktop, for example.

• Founder
I always thought that overclocking the PCI-E slot was a REALLY bad idea..?

Since a single TITAN doesn't fill the entire bandwidth of the PCI-E express slot, what's the use in overclocking it?

There's no use at all from a performance perspective.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I always thought that overclocking the PCI-E slot was a REALLY bad idea..?

Since a single TITAN doesn't fill the entire bandwidth of the PCI-E express slot, what's the use in overclocking it?

I'm not sure how the rumor started that overclocking PCI-E was bad. Maybe it's a throwback from the fsb days where overclocking AGP also overclocked the ATA, sometimes causing HDD corruption. The fact is that there is nothing bad about it. BCLK does not overclock the SATA. FSB/BCLK overclocking was done frequently by eGPU users on 4 and 5 series chipsets, and there were no negatives except possible instability.

From a performance perspective though it is extremely minor with just 1 card. Not really worth trying unless you're on x8 2.0 or worse IMO.

High end storage controllers definitely see a boost when PCI-E speed is increased.

Current SAS 6Gbps RAID on Chip controllers cannot fully utilize PCIe 2.0 x8 bandwidth. But for next generation SAS 12Gbps RoCs, PCIe 3.0 x8 is required.

Current SAS 6Gbps RAID on Chip controllers cannot fully utilize PCIe 2.0 x8 bandwidth. But for next generation SAS 12Gbps RoCs, PCIe 3.0 x8 is required.

I have benchmarked it both ways and the increase is nearly proportional with increase of PCI-E speed. It may not be an issue with interface bandwidth per-se but host XOR clock speed "tracking" with PCI-E clock. In other words the XOR is being overclocked. This occurs with Areca hosts.

I have benchmarked it both ways and the increase is nearly proportional with increase of PCI-E speed. It may not be an issue with interface bandwidth per-se but host XOR clock speed "tracking" with PCI-E clock. In other words the XOR is being overclocked. This occurs with Areca hosts.

Great! RAID controllers can be overclocked too... I always used LSI RoCs since LSI SAS1068, but now I cannot try this out because my current motherboard is Supermicro X9DRG-QF which have no overclocking options at all.

Not sure about overclocking, but when I was running Windows 8 I attempted to change PCI-E latency timings to avoid some BSODs. Ended up having to revert back to Windows 7 because it wasn't stable. This was a few months ago, when Win8 was relatively new so it's possible that those issues are gone now.

• 2 months later...

I used to run all my boards with at least 115 MHz PCIE speed for years. That can rise Fps in some cases, especially when running out of VRAM. Well, with a Titan you simply can not run out of graphics RAM :Banane06:, so the benefit from PCIE overclocking is low. Of course you can still try rising the clock on PCIE 2.0 board since Titan is a 3.0 card and my benefit around 1-3 percent. Why not?

My new Asus 990FX Sabertooth with PLX for PCIE 3 can't even run @ 108 MHz, I get strange stuttering above 105 MHz ... guess the PLX is the bottleneck. But generally, recent GPUs can go far beyond 110 MHz on the right rig.

Greetings from Germany,

Raff

• 8 years later...