Netgear R7000 vs ASUS RT-AC68U

sluisman

Was in same position. In my case I got an AC66u as I needed it and couldnt wait for ac68u to be available.

My thinking was the good feedback, maturity and enough speed and stability. Ive had a few Asus products in the past and mostly good.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I got my brand new Asus RT-ac68U. First thing I noticed was the incredible easy set up for the router. next thing: Its very fast. At the 5G band the speed is doubled over my old linksys E4200. There is downsite however. There is no NAT-loopback on this router in the stock firmware. Thats a minor because I want to use my domain name insite and outsite my network. Gues I have to wait for an other firmare like Merlin. Other than this I am very pleased with my new router.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I picked up the asus 56u and after making a couple tweaks to the settings its up and running solid. I did forget about the built in FTP and kept trying to figure out how come i couldn't get to my internal network ftp.

I'm quite satisfied with my R7000. Easy to set up and manage, works great in managing a mix of N and AC connections, and the default software (firmware + genie app) is more than sufficient for me needs. I've read, but can't confirm that the Asus has better cloud features. The netgear is passable but not great in that respect. I've also read, and can confirm that the netgear has great usb3 transfer rates. I have a hard drive mounted in the usb3 slot acted as a NAS, and it's working great.

My only complaint is that it's huge (coming from a dir-615). Between the device and antennae, it takes up a lot of horizontal and vertical real estate.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Running an R7000 with DD-WRT and increased power. I can say with honesty that the 2,4 reaches way out there and the speeds on the 5ghz are better than my previous Asus. Do have some random reboot issues and the DHCP server sometimes not forwarding a lease to my access points for a new authentication (AP's not running DHCP of any kind and requesting lease from R7000). I recently put it to the test and dabbled for days on all kinds of settings to tweak performance, eventually being able to cover about 35 of my 60 acres of farm with >35% signal, even with reasonable foliage and walls made of tin and steel. I could stream music no problems at my barn which is about 250 yds across a ravine from the house where the router was as well as in my shop which is about 200 yds the other side of the house.

The stock firmware is not bad and has lots of options without being overwhelming, and the beamforming blows my old Asus out of the water. Don't like the USB3.0 being in the front of such a sexy machine, and if you crank the power, expect the noise to go up too. The stock antennas, for looking so good, have a shape that really doesn't make available any adjusted configuration that isn't the generic 'sits on desk horizontal, antenna have to be vertical' type. Trivial complaints I know, but still complaints.

I think my next setup will be those stand alone Ubiquity Unifi dual-band AP's though, I've used them for work and the range for having internal antennas is awesome, they are POE, and they cost $250 for three of them.