7970m on GX740 stuck at 450/300 clock speeds.....

BringerOdeath

Hello everyone,

I got my sisters gx740 laptop upgraded to a Dell 7970m, but now the clocks are 300/300 and 450/300 when running games and benchmarks. Do I have to flash a custom bios to fix this, like a clevo one? HDMI and everything is working, so the card is fully functional besides the clocks..... Any help would be great! Thanks!

You're lucky the laptop boots with the wrong vbios on the card. It's amazing how many people brick systems thinking that by flashing a different vendor's vbios will solve their problems.

The problem is that only dell laptops can read the temp sensor on dell amd cards. Because the system cannot directly read the temperature it does not use the card's top speed bin. Drivers can still report the temperature for programs like gpu-z, but the system's embedded controller cannot, which means you lose overheat protection and variable fan speed.

We can flash the 450/300 speed bin to higher speeds. I made a dell vbios that runs 450/900, and have done the same mod to my clevo vbios to have decent battery performance. I'll link you the vbios shortly. Higher clocks will work as well. I raised the clocks manually with a hex editor. I think that Radeon Bios Editor can also raise the clocks too, but I am not certain because RBE reports incorrect voltages for multiple speed bins.

Keep in mind that the card will never work 100% properly. The laptop EC will never be able to read the card temperature, and this is just a workaround to get the card running decently.

UPDATE:

Here is my post where I did this before. The link to the 450/900 file is at the bottom. I included instructions on how to modify the clocks even higher via hex editor.

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/6790-dell-7970m-stuck-450-300-a-2.html#post93299

So, only the clevo 7970m with the HM bios will work at full speeds on the GX740? I only flashed the vbios at the suggestion of others with the clevo bios. I already flashed it back to stock. I will try that bios you made, but I may just sell the card and get the clevo ones if that is what I need to do.... Thanks!

Why would you want to yell at someone for trying to help Khenglish? You can yell at me if that helps. I didn't tell only suggested trying. So feel free to yell.

I also stated before flashing anything to backup the vBios that was on there before messing around. I have had issues when I tried doing 7970M on my laptop. I even flashed a Clevo to a dell card to try and get it to work before flashing back to a Dell vBios as it didn't solve the issue. I also said about getting a Clevo card and even went looking for the user.