MS-16F2 GT683DXR - Not so random shutdowns, need help troubleshooting

Bugii

Hello guys,

I will need your help with troubleshooting one really strange issue.

MSI GT683DXR is randomly shutting down when GPU is stressed. (switched to 3d performance mode)

It's not overheating as it sometimes shut down immediately, sometimes runs for like 5 minutes.

Shutdowns when core tems were 50°C as well as 76°C

first I've made sure its nothing else - known good HDDS, CPU, all RAM sticks, latest unlocked BIOS ... everything else seems to be okay.

I've got MSI GTX570M (stock card from that notebook)

DELL GTX675M (both DELL and MSI vBIOS)

CLEVO GTX770M (stock vBIOS)

and MSI GT780R notebook.

GT683 is randomly shutting down with 570M card.

I X-tested the card with MSI780:

570M shutdown in MSI780

770M works like a charm in MSI683 (no shutdown after 30minutes, stressed to 79°C!)

So far good.. result seems to be dead 570M.

Ordered 675M:

Shutdown in MSI683 as well!

770M still working fine in that notebook.

Right after shutdown, the laptop immediatelly turns on and boots to windows.

No BSOD, I've turned off automatic restart in windows when it crashes.

It's not restart, it literally is shutdown, then it turns on on its own.

Do you guys have any idea what might be the issue ?

It seems like it doesnt work with fermi cards (770M is kepler) Might it be different power drain ?

675M has 100W TDP, but both 570M and 770M have 75W ??

I dont think its the mobo, since 770M works.

Might it be DC jack ? Is it possible the 770M drains power somehow different than 570M ?

Any ideas ?

I really don't know what else might be the problem.

Thank you in advance for any tips.

[Edit:]

I forgot to add,

it's happening only on AC-Adapter. (both battery in and out)

I've tried several ACADs - 120W, 150W, 180W.

I cannot reproduce the issue on battery only since the card refuses to switch to 3D performance mode on battery only. So it works on battery but with the proformance of atari.

just leaving this here in case somebody runs into same issues.

it really was the GPU. Yes, that tiny little chance the second GPU I ordered to replace the bad one was faulty as well.

3rd GPU fixed the shutdowns.

Had the exact same problem as you, once gpu was stressed it switched off and turned itself one after 1-2 seconds. Replacing it with a 770m fixed it for me too.

Yes, I did read your thread. My 770m worked, but this laptop was a present for a friend, I didnt want to give him my 770m.

Thats why I ordered new GPU (675M). But the shutdowns didnt stop. Looks like the replacement gpu had exactly the same issue! 3rd one fixed it.

Odd however, it wasnt triggered by gpu load... I could play battlefield3 for one hour then shutdown, next it played for 2 minutes only for example... it was random, but only during 3d gaming.Never happened in windows desktop.

Anyway, this just confirms that yes, it's faulty gpu even though it might appear fine since it is possible to play on it for a while and temps are okay.

• 4 months later...

I'm having the same issue and you guys both can confirm that it is the gpu causing it? I have the 580m in my system, not the 570m. Also, what brand of 770m do you have? I'd love to upgrade the graphics card since they both require the same amount of power. That would definitely give my 16f2 some new life.

Changing the Gpu solved my issue. In time it got worse, at first they were random, than after a while it would crash as soon as a game loaded afetr 5-10 seconds. I bought my card from Mokkin from ebay, the card is the clevo version.

• 1 month later...

Changing GPU not really fixed the ISSUE, it can be Motherboard Fault, mine already brick 2 GPU on GX680 the original one GT555m GPU also HD5870 for GT660 laptop. Another is PSU power is getting lower by the time, Change The PSU

Changing GPU not really fixed the ISSUE, it can be Motherboard Fault, mine already brick 2 GPU on GX680 the original one GT555m GPU also HD5870 for GT660 laptop. Another is PSU power is getting lower by the time, Change The PSU

In my case it was GPU.

Laptop is working fine so far. (3rd GPU... oddly enough the second one was DoA, that confused me)

In original post I've also mentioned I've tried several AC adapters.

Hi bugii

This may be a little off topic, but have you experienced any cpu throttle issues when you play 3d games on the 150w psu?

Yes but I've fixed them.

You have to install Throttlestop and uncheck BD PROCHOT.

Have TS running in the background - no need click "Turn ON" - leave it as it is in "monitoring only" just make sure BD PROCHOT is NOT checked.

No issue on 150W acad at all.

When I used 120W - it used to switch to battery when I run very demanding game.... like BF4 or Crysis 3, sometimes the ACAD led light just went off and PC swithced to battery - had to disconnect ACAD and connect it again. This was however only with 120W acad and 100W GPU (GTX680M, 675M). For GTX570M and 770M, 120W acad was enough.