MSI GX70 CPU Overclocking - Possible?

Aikei

Hello.

My friend have MSI GX70 Laptop with APU A10-5750M (Richland) and Radeon HD8970M Graphics. Video perfomance is exellent, but CPU perfomance is very low. Is it possible to overclock the CPU?

Hello.

My friend have MSI GX70 Laptop with APU A10-5750M (Richland) and Radeon HD8970M Graphics. Video perfomance is exellent, but CPU perfomance is very low. Is it possible to overclock the CPU?

You can lock the CPU to never run slower than 3ghz, but as for actual overclocking that is not possible (unless AMD reference clock documentation gets leaked).

How to lock to 3ghz and 3.5ghz:

There is no program that does it properly, so you need to do it directly with PCI config space writes. I use BAR-EDIT on the trinity laptop I have access to. The way the method works is you just limit the number of P-states the processor is allowed to use. PScheck can do this, but it neglects changing what P-state the CPU goes into C6 in, which is set by default to a state that is no longer available, thus breaking the top turbo bin.

B0D24F3xDC clear bits 9 and 10 (in english: on bus 0, device 24, function 3, offset 0xDC, make bits 9 and 10 equal to 0)

To then fix top turbo:

B0D24F3xA8 clear bits 30 and 31

These changes net a consistent 9-12% raw performance gain in multithreaded programs. In games the difference is actually more noticeable since without this fix the CPU will randomly drop as low as 1.6ghz for me, which is just flat out dumb and causes major stutter.

cinebench throttle fix vs no fix: http://i.imgur.com/Ov8Wkhk.jpg (this fix alone only gets to 2.27, not 2.29. I also lowered memory timings a little for the 2.29)

cpu only hits low 70s in P95 with this fix and an undervolt. Undervolt can be done with AmdMsrTweaker or manually with MSR writes.

• Thumbs Up 4

There's ES A10-5750M with unlocked multi, but 1/ it's hard to find, and 2/ It's ridiculously expensive.

I don't get why AMD locks its top end CPU anyway. MSI even puts them in laptops with the 7970m, which 3ghz is completely inadequate for.

I don't get why AMD locks its top end CPU anyway. MSI even puts them in laptops with the 7970m, which 3ghz is completely inadequate for.

That's what I wonder as well. It would be pretty awesome if AMD let all of their CPUs to be overclocked. But then, most of their CPUs end-up in cheap machines with even cheaper cooling, so I can see why :(

Yeah I was shocked when the first one with 7970m was released with a crap CPU.

• 1 month later...
You can lock the CPU to never run slower than 3ghz, but as for actual overclocking that is not possible (unless AMD reference clock documentation gets leaked).

There is no program that does it properly, so you need to do it directly with PCI config space writes. I use BAR-EDIT on the trinity laptop I have access to. The way the method works is you just limit the number of P-states the processor is allowed to use. PScheck can do this, but it neglects changing what P-state the CPU goes into C6 in, which is set by default to a state that is no longer available, thus breaking the top turbo bin.

B0D24F3xDC clear bits 9 and 10 (in english: on bus 0, device 24, function 3, offset 0xDC, make bits 9 and 10 equal to 0)

To then fix top turbo:

These changes net a consistent 9-12% raw performance gain in multithreaded programs. In games the difference is actually more noticeable since without this fix the CPU will randomly drop as low as 1.6ghz for me, which is just flat out dumb and causes major stutter.

cinebench throttle fix vs no fix: http://i.imgur.com/Ov8Wkhk.jpg (this fix alone only gets to 2.27, not 2.29. I also lowered memory timings a little for the 2.29)

cpu only hits low 70s in P95 with this fix and an undervolt. Undervolt can be done with AmdMsrTweaker or manually with MSR writes.

Hi there Khenglish

Would you be able to expand a little on the overclock you described above? None of the methods you described above are known about on all the other GX60/70 forums so I'd like to flesh them out because we are in desperate need of giving our CPU a boost!

I own the GX60 with the a10-5750m and admit I'm not the most capable over clocker..

Firstly you described the "cinebench throttle fix" which netted you a 5% boost, but I can't find reference anywhere to what the fix actually is?

Secondly what system did you test the changes with BAR-EDIT with? because different APU's are locked to different degrees and the a10-5750m seems quite touchy (a lot of people have bricked theirs with fiddling with bios and etc) So mostly I was hoping for a pretty basic step by step to arrive at that point and also just if you could shed some light on the potential to break things? Same goes of the AmdMsrTweaker..

I realise it is a lot that I'm asking for but there is a whole community for gx60/70 owners that are desperately searching for ways to squeeze more out of our APU's, you seem to have some of the answers so if you can make it a little more fool proof I can pass it on in the other user lounges etc (If you look here *The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge* - Page 266 You'll see that people are starting to give up and sell their GX60s!)

Thanks in advance man, you're a legend!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
Hi there Khenglish

Would you be able to expand a little on the overclock you described above? None of the methods you described above are known about on all the other GX60/70 forums so I'd like to flesh them out because we are in desperate need of giving our CPU a boost!

I own the GX60 with the a10-5750m and admit I'm not the most capable over clocker..

Firstly you described the "cinebench throttle fix" which netted you a 5% boost, but I can't find reference anywhere to what the fix actually is?

Secondly what system did you test the changes with BAR-EDIT with? because different APU's are locked to different degrees and the a10-5750m seems quite touchy (a lot of people have bricked theirs with fiddling with bios and etc) So mostly I was hoping for a pretty basic step by step to arrive at that point and also just if you could shed some light on the potential to break things? Same goes of the AmdMsrTweaker..

I realise it is a lot that I'm asking for but there is a whole community for gx60/70 owners that are desperately searching for ways to squeeze more out of our APU's, you seem to have some of the answers so if you can make it a little more fool proof I can pass it on in the other user lounges etc (If you look here *The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge* - Page 266 You'll see that people are starting to give up and sell their GX60s!)

Thanks in advance man, you're a legend!

Wow I wrote a reply to this weeks ago but for some reason it's gone. Well here's try #2:

As you have figured out, what this does is make it impossible for the CPU to run slower than the slower boost bin, which is 2.7ghz on the A10-4600m, and I think 3.0ghz on the A10-5750m. The power management mechanisms would otherwise cause the CPU to run slower than this.

I tested this on a toshiba satellite S875D.

As for breaking things, this does increase power draw some which will strain the CPU voltage regulation some more, but it shouldn't be enough to risk any damage, especially if you undervolt the CPU as well. AmdMsrTweaker can be used to lower the voltage to bring the power draw back down. AmdMsrTweaker's changes to the system are all temporary so in case there is a problem, a restart will revert everything, and thus it cannot cause damage.

As for true overclocking, my understanding is that it would be possible if someone could get the proper documentation from AMD.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

hey. after days of searching the web i figured that it is impossible to overclock the A-5750 since its unlocked, and there is no way of disableing the lock.

anyways thank you for the shown method, my frames in battlefield 4 went up from 27 on high settings to 60 on high settings. it seems like amd turbo core cripples the CPU by a big amount

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
hey. after days of searching the web i figured that it is impossible to overclock the A-5750 since its unlocked, and there is no way of disableing the lock.

anyways thank you for the shown method, my frames in battlefield 4 went up from 27 on high settings to 60 on high settings. it seems like amd turbo core cripples the CPU by a big amount

cheers

Is this a standard increase in performance that you've noticed?

Hi Guys, I have a GX60 which I have just picked up, mine has the 750gb mech HDD and 4600m,

Is it worth me adding an SSD, and upgrading the CPU to the 5750m before trying this?

An SSD is always worth it. In regards to the CPU, most benchmarks show it to be 10-20% faster. Actual performance may vary.

Is this a standard increase in performance that you've noticed?

An SSD is always worth it. In regards to the CPU, most benchmarks show it to be 10-20% faster. Actual performance may vary.

can't get bar-edit to modify those address each time i boot.

tried apply on startup but not working. do we have any solutions?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Gx60 Owners,

Kenglish's Method Gives the GX60/70 A great boost so in order to simplify the method for beginners I've Described the entire process with one Image, Enjoy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9378[/ATTACH]

Hey skidmarek, I just made my account and am trying to reduce the bottleneck the 5750m is giving my 8970m as well as the headaches this gives me. Apparently I can't see the image you posted (I am aware it's been a while), could you rehost it to imgur or something of the sort? I am not able to figure out Khenglish's instructions past the fourth paragraph. Thanks in advance.

I can see the Picture from skidmarek.

So the Picture is not deleted ;)

I can't, when I try it gives me this message:

ztf
, you do not have permission to access this page.

1. [*=2]This could be due to one of several reasons:Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    [*=2]If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

However I have activated my account already and don't know why this message is showing up, could anyone send me a pm or reply with the rehosted image (this image by skidmarek?

To then fix top turbo:

So does bar edit work with windows 8 i see it only mentions up to windows 7?

To then fix top turbo:

do you have any guide on how to lock the cpu to 3.4 to 3.5 instead of 3.2 to 3.5?

thanks.

• 1 month later...

One question I want to ask that is related to this is: I have this laptop and see that there are AMD drivers (14.2 beta) for it as well as VGA drivers from MSI's website for it? Are they the same thing? If not, do they complete the same task? If so, which one should I use? I am computer noob and would really appreciate some advice. Thank you!