BIOS Rev 3.05 problem lenovo y510p

mindfree

I bought a y510p a year ago, unplugged and saved the original HDD with Win 8 untouched and installed Win 7 on M2 SSD .

It worked fine for until few days ago I upgraded the BIOS to rev 3.05 which messed up boot with SSD, I get garbled screen and safe mode is also not accessible.

The new BIOS is buggy and freezes in under 5 seconds, so any change I intend to do I must do it very quickly.

The original HDD works fine though.

Is the Rev 3.05 more suitable for Win 8 ? How can I revert back to previous revision which I don't remember maybe it was 2.04 or 2.07 ?

Is BIOS firmware backed up with other drivers on a original HDD that came with lenovo y510p ?

Can BIOS actually cause problems with booting like display etc once it detects HDD ?

Upgrading my BIOS seems to be the worst decision I made and it is causing me huge loss of productivity.

Thank you for your help!

PS I'm glad to find this wonderful forum while looking for a solution.:Banane44:

what SSD do you have? It shouldnt cause problem on latest bios. Try to put back original hdd and reflash the bios again. If you want to revert back to previous bios version, select Bios Flashback option in Bios. Then flash older bios v2.07. If problem still persist, it may be due to faulty SSD. I know they are not cheap but investing in quality SSD will bring its fruits. Did you tried it on other PC? Try it if you have spare one to see if it do any trouble on other PC. If it does it again it may be faulty SSD. It looks very dodgy that SSD cause bios to freeze. Also set SATA to AHCI mode if you havent done it allready. Maybe thats the culprit :).

If you installed Windows in IDE mode you will have to go to Safe Mode after you change SATA to AHCI and when booted in Safe mode fire up regedit and find following entries

[FONT=arial]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesMsahci

[/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI regular][FONT=arial]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesIastorV[/FONT]
[/FONT]

On the right side right click on Start in Name column and click modify

Type 0 in Value and save it.

Restart and see if it works.

I fixed it like this when I stupidly installed Windows in IDE mode instead of AHCI
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for replying!

I own this one Amazon.com: Crucial m4 256GB 2.5-Inch (9.5mm) SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive CT256M4SSD2: Electronics

It worked fine for over a year last week when I updated bios to 3.05. How do you revert using BIOS flashback option ? I reflashed it with 3.05 again, can I go back to earliest version now using flashback option?

It could be a display problem too. Any idea how to fix that when I can't boot into my SSD (even safe mode doesn't work due to garbled screen on boot ). I had installed Win 7 ultimate (with debian as dual boot)which worked well during last 1 year.

I check my SATA controller , it was AHCI and not compatible. Also I used Legacy mode to detect my hdd.

Thanks again!

Thank you very much elementalfx !

Everything worked fine after reflashing with same BIOS version i.e. 3.05

I have another query : From where to update my win 7 ultimate drivers to get graphics performance and look of original installation ? I noticed the graphics

performance is much better in preinstalled Win 8 . Do automatic driver updaters like Driver Easy [http://www.drivereasy.com] work?

Thank you very much elementalfx !

Everything worked fine after reflashing with same BIOS version i.e. 3.05

I have another query : From where to update my win 7 ultimate drivers to get graphics performance and look of original installation ? I noticed the graphics

performance is much better in preinstalled Win 8 . Do automatic driver updaters like Driver Easy [http://www.drivereasy.com] work?

I have only Windows 8 Installed so I cant say really much but I would rather download latest nvidia drivers directly from nvidia website rather than third party. You can set Nvidia Driver Experience to notice you about new driver updates and if you want you can set it to download it automatically whenever new driver is released. Geforce Experience will let you know when driver is ready to install. I dont know if it can be set to automatically install it but its better to install it manually by opening Geforce experience and hit install button as before you install new drivers you can read changelog of new drivers and decide to install it or not if you are not happy with it for some reason.

All other drivers can be downloaded from Lenovo website directly, and in most cases its best to download it from official manufacturer unless for some specific reason you want to install drivers from different source.

I dont really have a good experience with automatic driver downloaders from third party so I cant recommend you any at all. I let Windows download it itself via Windows Update if there is any new driver update offcourse approved by Microsoft. Any other drivers I just check drivers every month or two manually by visiting manufacturers support website.

You also mentioned that you boot SSD with legacy, so you are saying it does not detect ssd if you select uefi only? Even in bios?

Regarding previous question about downgrading to older bios. I dont know if its good idea as I personally feel better performance under v3.05 rather than older one, but I understand that some people just want to revert back to older.

After you select Bios Flasback option and set it to Enable in bios.

Now go to Windows and go to:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html

There is a stock firmware v2.07 in step 3 so you just have to download it, unpack it and run it as administrator. This will downgrade your bios. Make sure you have battery in, all programs closed to prevent bad flash.

It will probably ask you to restart the computer or it will do it itself I cant remember but anyway after restart dont touch anythink yet and let it flash the bios. It may turn off for couple of second and then it may turn on itself, if not just start it and load bios and load default settings. After that you are good to go.

Hope this will help you.