Y500 Problem trying to put in 1TB mSata as boot drive/ put Win7 OS on it

NyMartin

Hi TechInferno!

I did the whitelist BIOS mod back in January. I updated to the modded bios and put in a new WLAN card in my Y500. I have had Win7 for quite sometime.

My issue now is that I have a 1TB HDD and the 16GB Cache Msata in my y500.

I just bought a 1 TB Samsung mSata to make it the boot device, however whenever I try to boot the system without the 16GB cache device (in legacy mode since I put Win 7 on my Y500) it gives me an error that says Atheros and that there is no bootable drive available.

This is impossible since my 1 TB HDD Win 7 is my bootable drive. Any help on why I can't boot to my Win 7 HDD to then migrate to my new 1 TB mSata? It's very frustrating since I bought the mSata and now I can't make it my bootable drive/ migrate OS to it. I've also tried using a bootable Win7 USB to just try a clean install on my new mSata but it hangs at the Lenovo logo screen at boot not going anywhere when the Win7 USB is in.

The system boots fine when my 1 TB HDD is in and the 16GB cache is in, which makes no sense to me that the cache needs to be in.

When I put the Samsung 1TB Msata in the laptop it is recognized by the bios, however whenever I try to boot without the 16gb cache mSata (even with HDD alone) it gives the Atheros error and says no bootable device.

I've ordered an mSata Adapter and SATA to USB cable just in case to try migrating OS by USB and then putting it in my laptop to see if it then boots from it but would like to find a solution as fast as possible.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can help me with this as soon as possible.

Thanks again TechInferno.

I had exactly the same problem a month ago, bought crucial mSata ssd, and got that atheros error.

First try to put your hdd first in the boot priority list, if it doesnt work then probably boot sector on hdd is fucked and you need to re-install OS.

If you want to boot from usb also make sure usb boot is enabled and your usb device is on top in the boot priority list. After thi is done you should be able to boot from usb and install OS, if not, try your usb device on another pc/laptop - probably something is wrong with device itselfs or rather with OS image on it.

Thanks for your reply

My HDD is number 1 in the boot list priority, however it won't boot when the Samsung EVO is in and goes to Atheros error BUT for some reason when I take out the new mSata and put the 16 GB Stock cache mSata everything boots up normally.

As for the USB boot its enabled however I don't have an option on the boot priority list for a usb device to make it top priority. However when the USB is in at boot the laptop just stays on the lenovo logo. I made the bootable usb with Microsoft USB bootable tool.

Also I tried what you were saying to try on another device. On my desktop I tried to load the usb (I set the boot priority to USB: CD ROM), It began to say on the line LOADING OS: and then USB CD ROM but then it just went after that and booted from the HDD so maybe there is something with the USB.

I will try to make another USB but anyother suggestions on the HDD boot priority? Thanks Again

• 5 weeks later...

it sounds like your bios is skipping past your hdd and trying to boot pxe network hard drives. they are listed in the bios as options.

try changing the boot order as booting on these laptops are getting quicker and quicker it might be missing the hdd. lol