the new Y50/40

savas

Hello, i was wondering and searching for some information about this new lap top, i really like the design of it and i want to get rid of my y500 and looking at the new y50 Lenovo Y Series | Premium Multimedia Laptops | Lenovo (US) (not the dumbass touch) does anyone own one allready? is is as crappy as the y500?

Not sure if serious

serious. y500 does not have intel graphics, so on battery it sux for games. The cd-rom randomly works irf restarted as also the bluetooth, now the screen cable broke. The touchpad was already replaced by warranty. This is not a good laptop if it does shit like this and i have to struggle to make parts of it work. I have hopes for y50 that there are no such issuses

it is not only the performance wich makes me consider of selling my y500 for y50 ist the whole pc itself, The y50 supports nvidia optimus/cuda wich y500 does not, it barely runs anything on battery wich is annoyng. secondly the Bluetooth and other problems with it. I need bluetooth to work. also the screen, the y50 has the antiglare wich i think is very nice of them, and finally, the size and wight and looks of the y50 just blows me away. If i eventually will buy this laptop (in 2months or so) i will post everything i have to tell about it, it looks promising. Buch of reviews are coming up that the y50 is quite a bargan and it actually works and maybe will last longer (i have my y500 for a year now and i changed the track pad, teh buetooth sux balls my screen cable broke, the blue-ray works when it wants to work no intel graphics so no fun stuf on battery, the laptop is crap)

You know, I'd buy without ANY doubt a 15.6" screen laptop that is 8K resolution. Cause that's the perfect resolution for 15.6". The films would be native, cause 8K is multiplier of 1080, and the curves and resolution would be stunning. But we would need many many improves in the OS and games. So it's gonna happen like 10 years later.

Well, after much discussion and multiple phone calls with Lenovo Customer Support, I was able to trade in my y510p for the new Y50-70 notebook which I'm using right now. Overall, an improved laptop and I really like the 1080p screen and the 860m-GTX graphics chip. Some shortcomings: No builtin DVD drive bay, but the laptop is definitely thinner and a little lighter which is nice. Screen is not the clearest 1080p I've seen; and, wait for it......the Intel 8160-AC wireless card stinks! It is only a single stream in 802.11n (max links speed of 72Mbps!! Unbelievable - why couldn't they use the 7260-AC chipset?? Also, I removed the back cover and it is MUCH more difficult - the owner's guide says to remove all screws (more on this one), lift up the front part then slide it back and then up. Well not matter how much I tried, being careful, etc, I still broke off a couple of the little locking tabs at the back wrap around corners! So beware!! No real issues with it going back on OK (except one screw base as stripped) as the screws hold it in place pretty good. I haven't tried any different wireless cards yet, but after testing the unit today I feel changing the wireless card is a must. I'm ASSUMING they locked the BIOS but don't know yet. No modded BIOS out there yet??

You know, I'd buy without ANY doubt a 15.6" screen laptop that is 8K resolution. Cause that's the perfect resolution for 15.6". The films would be native, cause 8K is multiplier of 1080, and the curves and resolution would be stunning. But we would need many many improves in the OS and games. So it's gonna happen like 10 years later.

I never watch movies on 15.6" screen, I dont know why would you ever buy 8K laptop for such purpose. For everything else - its a total waste.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never watch movies on 15.6" screen, I dont know why would you ever buy 8K laptop for such purpose. For everything else - its a total waste.

Well, I do watch films in my laptop. And it's freaking awesome to watch them there. The thing is that the highest standard quality for films is Full HD, 1920x1080. If you have a laptop with that resolution, like me, you're gonna watch them without scaling, at its native resolution. Now, 1080 is still a "poor" resolution for 15.6" screen. I can clearly see the pixels in my Y510P. So I want more resolution. If you go 1440 or QHD+ or any of those "weird" resolutions, you're gonna scale a film, and it's going to lose some pixels there, cause the division is not perfect, there are decimals. Nevertheless, if you are using a 4K or 8K screen, that division is going to be perfect, cause in a 4K screen, each 1080 pixel is.going to be represented by 4, which is a non-decimal number. In 8K, by 16 pixels. So the upscale is perfect. That's one advantage of having a multiplier screen resolution, scaling is perfect.

But, of course, you're not buying an 8K screen to watch 1080 videos or images. Having an 8K resolution screen in 15.6" means that the curves and fonts and images and everything would be so realistic. But we're gonna wait for 10 years or so to see an 8K 15.6" screen working along a nicely optimized OS and software that sqeeze that resolution.

it seems like the 860m of the Y50 is based on Maxwell architecture, that means it should have a good overclocking potential, (if the temperatures are good)

just found some nice benchmarks on this link http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/751352-860m-beast.html

stock 860m: 4603 Graphics score http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2974033

with overclock: over 5000 Graphics score http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2981759? (in firestrike)

Well, after much discussion and multiple phone calls with Lenovo Customer Support, I was able to trade in my y510p for the new Y50-70 notebook which I'm using right now. Overall, an improved laptop and I really like the 1080p screen and the 860m-GTX graphics chip. Some shortcomings: No builtin DVD drive bay, but the laptop is definitely thinner and a little lighter which is nice. Screen is not the clearest 1080p I've seen; and, wait for it......the Intel 8160-AC wireless card stinks! It is only a single stream in 802.11n (max links speed of 72Mbps!! Unbelievable - why couldn't they use the 7260-AC chipset?? Also, I removed the back cover and it is MUCH more difficult - the owner's guide says to remove all screws (more on this one), lift up the front part then slide it back and then up. Well not matter how much I tried, being careful, etc, I still broke off a couple of the little locking tabs at the back wrap around corners! So beware!! No real issues with it going back on OK (except one screw base as stripped) as the screws hold it in place pretty good. I haven't tried any different wireless cards yet, but after testing the unit today I feel changing the wireless card is a must. I'm ASSUMING they locked the BIOS but don't know yet. No modded BIOS out there yet??

Are you in Canada or the US? How'd you manage to get that trade done exactly?

Thanks!

Neither the y500 or y50 gives the option of an SSD. For a high end gaming laptop they should at least offer an option

Both the Lenovo US and CA websites currently offer a 512GB SSD option for the Y50 non-touch screen model.