15" Fujitsu Lifebook AH532 + GTX660@4Gbps+c-EC2 (PE4C 2.0) + Win7/64 [useafo]

Yesterday, I have finally got eGPU working on my new laptop. Benchmarks are on the way. All credits goes to @Tech Inferno Fan for providing the DIY setup and @angerthosenear for the DSDT override.

System configuration

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532/G21

Intel core i7-3612QM 2.1Ghz

6GB RAM

Intel HD4000 iGPU + Nvidia Geforce GT 620M dGPU

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

eGPU configuration

ASUS GTX660 eGPU with x1.1Opt and x1.2Opt.

PE4C V2.0 - Enables the graphics card to run at Gen2 speed.

DIY eGPU Setup 1.30 software to disable the dGPU and perform PCI compaction to overcome error 12

Option: DSDT override if want dGPU + eGPU active at the same time, though eGPU sees degraded performance as dGPU is given Optimus features (no x1 pci-e compression and no Intel LCD mode)

Benchmark scores Comparisons

Benchmark/link x1.1Opt x1.2Opt
3DMark06 21,104
3DMark Vantage 19,007
3DMark11 5547
Fire Strike 3902 4010
Cloud Gate 14037 14224
Ice Storm 75932 76463
Sky Diver 12076 12115

Software Setup:

At first, let me tell you that this is my first laptop equipped with dedicated GPU, which was a problematic to me. The BSOD was more frequent than my old Lenovo laptop because I was dealing with a new hardware. I have asked for a help from @Tech Inferno Fan and @angerthosenear about how to do the DSDT override. Thankfully, I ran into angerthosenear's post about simple DSDT override solution that makes iGPU, dGPU, and eGPU work together, and it helped me a lot. I won't forget nando for providing the diy setup.

Benchmark:

The first benchmark I've tested was 3DMark06. I was surprised with the degraded performance at first because usually with my laptop specs, it should get a score of 21K. Then nando told me that it's the dGPU that's degrading the performance and optimus was not engaged, and the solution was to disable the dGPU through diy setup. I tried testing the benchmark again, and this time with the dGPU disable. The performance was way better than with dGPU enabled. The 3DMark Vantage gain a bit more performance with dGPU (extra 400) more than with no dGPU. The 3DMArk and 3DMark11 weren't affected by this. Overall I was very satisfied with the results.

Edit: added X1.2Opt scores. The difference maybe small using benchmarks, but try gaming, and the difference is significant. Almost every game I have runs without lag, and it's smoother than when running at x1.1Opt.

Docking and Undocking:

The docking and undocking is easy. But before you do one of the options, you need to power on the eGPU while your laptop is booting and the windows dots are merging (in case you haven't disabled the dGPU). If successful and set the external monitor as your main display, you can undock it by going to "safely remove hardware and eject media" icon that's hidden in Windows taskbar, and then select eject video controller. To dock it again, simply connect the eGPU to the laptop.

eGPU setup:

I'm using PE4C V2.0 that runs NVidia cards at Gen2 speed with expresscard as an attachment. The graphics card used is ASUS Geforce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5. And the setup is powered by Dell 220W power supply.

Overall:

I am very happy with this setup. It was tough in the beginning, but thanks to this wonderful community, I have gained a lot of experience. If you want to transform your business laptop into a gaming one, come and check this forum, It's totally worth a try.

Photos:

2v13wuw.jpg

207xeus.jpg

2ljl5xh.jpg

PmiDB6K.jpg?1

• Thumbs Up 2

We have the same monitor!

Very nice writeup for your system. I like how you have your case setup. What case is it?

---

(side note: you misspelled my name in your first paragraph ;D )

It's a great monitor, The price was surprisingly cheap for the specs it has.

The case I have is mentioned in the eGPU setup paragraph.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I have corrected your name. :)

It's a great monitor, The price was surprisingly cheap for the specs it has.

The case I have is mentioned in the eGPU setup paragraph.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. I have corrected your name. :)

Whoops, now I see it. I read this just after I woke up lol.

Will you be going for a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b or the PE4H with Gen2 capabilities in the future?

Whoops, now I see it. I read this just after I woke up lol.

Will you be going for a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b or the PE4H with Gen2 capabilities in the future?

I liked the PE4H because it holds the GPU more than PE4L. To be honest, I am waiting for a PE4H that supports Gen3 capabilities and has socketed mini-hdmi ports, because I didn't like the soldered ones on both Gen2 devices.

I liked the PE4H because it holds the GPU more than PE4L. To be honest, I am waiting for a PE4H that supports Gen3 capabilities and has socketed mini-hdmi ports, because I didn't like the soldered ones on both Gen2 devices.

Series-6 (2nd gen i-core) or newer runs a Gen2 expresscard/mPCIe slot on the Southbridge. All Thunderbolt ports run Gen2. Only the Northbridge x16 port on Series-7 (3rd gen i-core) runs Gen3 however there isn't a MXM-to-pcie adapter that could tap that as yet in compatible systems. So Gen3 support for Expresscard/mPCIe/TB ports is not necessary.

I've mentioned that the PCIEMM-060B cable (thin one) allows me to run an AMD HD7970 at Gen2 link speed with a PE4H 2.4a. Prelim tests suggests a slight performance degradation over a PE4L 2.1b. That suggests to me that AMD have better fault tolerance for minor transmission errors in their drivers. Though the PCIEMM-060B doesn't help when using a NVidia card - it will still fail to run reliably at Gen2 speed as will BSOD, stutter, hang.

Series-6 (2nd gen i-core) or newer runs a Gen2 expresscard/mPCIe slot on the Southbridge. All Thunderbolt ports run Gen2. Only the Northbridge x16 port on Series-7 (3rd gen i-core) runs Gen3 however there isn't a MXM-to-pcie adapter that could tap that as yet in compatible systems. So Gen3 support for Expresscard/mPCIe/TB ports is not necessary.

I've mentioned that the PCIEMM-060B cable (thin one) allows me to run an AMD HD7970 at Gen2 link speed with a PE4H 2.4a. Prelim tests suggests a slight performance degradation over a PE4L 2.1b. That suggests to me that AMD have better fault tolerance for minor transmission errors in their drivers. Though the PCIEMM-060B doesn't help when using a NVidia card - it will still fail to run reliably at Gen2 speed as will BSOD, stutter, hang.

Any words from Bplus about the release date of the next PE4H?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have similar laptop with you:

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532/G21, Intel core i7-3612QM, 6GB RAM

But with Win 8.1

I would like to install / buy eGpu set, which components do you recommend ?

IU need some advice, sorry i'm newbie in eGpu things... i'd liked to use GTX660 like you do

ty already for helping

I have similar laptop with you:

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532/G21, Intel core i7-3612QM, 6GB RAM

But with Win 8.1

I would like to install / buy eGpu set, which components do you recommend ?

IU need some advice, sorry i'm newbie in eGpu things... i'd liked to use GTX660 like you do

ty already for helping

GTX660 is the perfect eGPU to start with. As of the components, you can either go with PE4L 2.1b, or EXP GDC V6.0.

Docking and Undocking:

The docking and undocking is easy. But before you do one of the options, you need to power on the eGPU while your laptop is booting and the windows dots are merging (in case you haven't disabled the dGPU). If successful and set the external monitor as your main display, you can undock it by going to "safely remove hardware and eject media" icon that's hidden in Windows taskbar, and then select eject video controller. To dock it again, simply connect the eGPU to the laptop.

Thanks!. This is a little OT but I did not know you could freely plug in and out like this ones the laptop has booted up with the eGPU. What I did before was to completely shut down my laptop before plugging in or out, much more cumbersome.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...