Thread: [GUIDE] 2013 Macbook Air + GTX570@4Gbps+c-TBEC2 (PE4L 2.1b) + Win7

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[GUIDE] 2013 Macbook Air + GTX570@4Gbps+c-TBEC2 (PE4L 2.1b) + Win7

TLDR: By buying around $250 in commonly available parts, plus a video card, you can make the graphics of your 11" Macbook Air from 5X to 7X faster. Demo video at end of post. Step-by-step, here's how to exactly do it. Warning: not for the faint of heart!

NOTE: after this guide was written another was produced showing how for less than $100 more than this solution you can create a faster native 10Gbps Thunderbolt solution instead. See it at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-g...html#post63754.

(click to see larger versions, video at end of article)

Hey everyone!

This is my third article here on this forum, though it's the first that the process can be done by anyone with off-the-shelf parts. No more discontinued exotic parts like the $180 BPlus TH05 are required. All you need is a macbook air, a graphics card, a power supply, Windows 7, and ~$250 to buy some adapters and software online. All these parts are readily available for anyone.

Like usual, I really want to thank nando4 for his help in doing all this. He's the mastermind behind the technicals, I just like writing articles and making stuff easier for everyone. He's super dedicated and eGPUs wouldn't be anywhere near where they are today if it wasn't for him! Thanks!

So what are we doing? We're going to make a Macbook Air accept an external video card via Thunderbolt! Yes, you might have read in the news that real commercial solutions are just around the corner. We've been promised by these companies over-and-over again, with youtube videos, hands-on reviews, press releases, etc, but nobody is releasing anything. It's been like this for over a year. Intel even openly admits its bias against GPU usage where it's listed as unsupported in their Thunderbolt Certification Application. Talking to one of their thunderbolt guys, here's what that "Not Supported" means:

The “Not supported” means that Intel won’t neither certify your product nor deliver, at the moment, any Technology License for this kind of usage. As you know, this Technology License is required to develop a Thunderbolt device in the market and Certification is a must have to market any Thunderbolt product.
    So with the bad news out of the way, the good news is that you can still do it yourself -- just a bit less elegantly. We'll be using the Sonnet Thunderbolt to ExpressCard adapter, together with the BPlus PE4L ExpressCard to PCI-Express adapter. This PE4L adapter also includes a Delayed PCI-Reset jumper, making Windows 7 + Internal LCD rendering possible on the Macbook. Also, it's not that bad. As you'll see by the benchmarks later in the article, yes you're only running at expresscard 5Gbps x1 2.0 PCI bus speed (as opposed to 16X 2.0 on a proper PC and only half of Thunderbolt's 10Gbps), but its WAY WAY better than the internal integrated graphics of the laptop, plus you can still max out tons of games. The full PC bus speed is super rarely used anyways, so it's not like you'll get 1/16th the performance.

As part of this tutorial, we'll be using Windows 7 BIOS (installed the regular Bootcamp way). Things are possible in Windows 8 as well, but the instructions differ, and I've also had troubles getting Internal LCD rendering working on Windows 8. Yeah I'm not a fan of using legacy Windows versions either, but whatever, every game works on both OSes for now anyways. Oh and we're using Windows because games only exist for it, and I can't get the setup to work on OSX (haven't tried too much though).

Alright, lets get started!

My laptop specs

• Mid-2013 11" Macbook Air
    • 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7-4650U (basically the most maxed out 11" mba)
    • 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    • Intel HD Graphics 5000 1024 MB
    • 512GB Apple SSD

Stuff to buy

• Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro. I purchased mine for $134 at B&H Photo Video. This adapter turns 10Gbps Thunderbolt to 5Gbps ExpressCard, which is needed for the PE4L later. It's probably one of the more expensive parts in your setup because of Intel's arbitrage on Thunderbolt-related parts. Note that Sonnet also sells a faster 10Gbps Thunderbolt->PCIExpress box (~US$310 Sonnet Echo Express SE) which might seem like a great idea, but that's all sorts of problems with it, including an underpowered power supply, no PCI Delay switch (making it not easily work with Windows) and dismantling it to be able to use full length and double width video cards.

• $70 BPlus PE4L V2.1 ExpressCard to PCI-Express adapter. You want the PE4L-EC060A package that includes the SWEX adapter to power on your power supply. If wanting a neater enclosure solution then purchase a $170 BPlus PE4H V3.2 instead, noting that your chosen video card will require the pci-e power connectors on the side of the card rather than the top. Visual comparison of the PE4H-EC060A 3.2 (left) and PE4L-EC060A 2.1 (right) in the spoiler:

Spoiler

If you're curious, BPlus used to offer a US$180 TH05 (which included the TB cable), which was a direct Thunderbolt to PCI-Express, but Intel shut it down and the entire BPlus Thunderbolt division in Jan 2013 per TH05 Recall Notice.

• A Thunderbolt cable. You can get this at any Apple Store or online for around $36. I'd recommend getting a 2m cable since you'll probably want to have your GPU not directly beside your laptop.

• 450W power supply capable of running the video card. $24AR-shipped Diablotek PH450 offers 12V/30A (360W) or Corsair CX430 offers 12V/32A (384W) of peak power, enough for ALL current video cards. If getting a basic ATX PSU then carefully read the first rail data on it, eg: 12V1:18A means 12*18=216W of peak power. That wouldn't be enough to drive my GTX570 that can draw up to 298W peak power. Look at your video card's spec sheet to see the peak wattage only it uses (not the suggested value that often includes motherboard + hard drives, etc). Honestly though, I'd recommend going for the 450W or even 500W power supplies available for around $20 at your local money-laundering stolen-stuff electronics store. If you get a power supply that doesn't output enough or doesn't like power spikes, it'll basically make your computer blue screen a lot mid-gaming. Ask me how I know.

• $25 DIY eGPU Setup 1.X, developed by nando. Yes, you're paying for software, get over it. Nando did spectacular work to get Windows 7 Bootcamp to be able to properly accept the external videocard without giving an "Error 12" code. You want the latest 1.20 version incorporating new Macbook features that's not advertised on that linked page as yet.

• A video card. I have the NVidia GTX 570, which is an awesome balance of great performance and price. You can use basically any video card you want, including AMD ones. Note on AMD cards, internal LCD rendering won't be possible without using something like Lucidlogix Virtu (not covered in this article). Also, don't go too crazy and order a NVidia Titan. Yes it's a great card, but you won't see the value for money since you are limited to a slower PCI bus. I'd recommend sticking in the 5xx or 6xx series of NVidia GTX cards.

• 2013 11" Macbook Air. This is the laptop I have, but these instructions should be identical for the 13" Air. Additionally, the only step that will be different for every other kind of Macbook is the contents of the PCI.BAT file later. Post your laptop's specs in the comments of this thread to see if someone has a PCI.BAT for you.

• A USB memory key that's at least 4GB for Bootcamp to install windows plus it's drivers.

• Other software: Windows 7 ISO (from MSDN / MSDNAA / etc). Don't steal software.

PART A: Generic prep of Windows 7 64-bit

Spoiler

PART B: Putting together the eGPU and understanding the problem

Spoiler

PART C: Getting rid of Error 12 on this Windows 7 (BIOS) install

Spoiler

Install Notes

• Again, for AMD cards to render on the Internal LCD, you’ll need to use Virtu. See Lucidlogix Virtu : internal LCD mode for AMD eGPUs for instructions on how to get this to work.

• When doing Internal LCD mode (which you’re doing when you have no monitor plugged into the video card), PhysX might not be on. Open the NVidia control panel and switch it from CPU to Auto. When doing benchmarks, keep it on CPU though.

• Dont forget that every time you reboot, you must power cycle the eGPU

• If someone knows how to get the eGPU to restart with a reboot of the computer, please let me know. Simply connecting the black and red cable isn't enough on the MBP from my observations. I tried the switch in both positions and both polarities.

Benchmarking

Cutting to the chase, benchmarks are below. It's insanely fast because the MBA LCD is 1366x768, it's a 15W i7-UM Haswell CPU that is on par performance wise to a high end 35W Sandy Bridge i5 CPU, plus a crazy video card. Woo!

external monitor

3dmark06: 19921
    vantage: P15876 (gpu=19574)
    3dmark11: P4900 (gpu=5210)
    3dmark: Ice Storm: 87663, Cloud Gate: 10128, Fire Strike: 3413

internal monitor

3dmark06: 17645
    vantage: P15030 (gpu=18270)
    3dmark11: P4732 (gpu=5110)
    3dmark: Ice Storm: 23839, Cloud Gate: 8943, Fire Strike: 3264

Intel HD5000 PE4L with GTX570 Difference Difference vs Internal
    Min Settings Max Settings Min Settings Max Settings Min Settings Max Settings Min Settings Max Settings
    Mirror’s Edge (DX9) Internal 41.467 18.083 88.933 85.133 2.1X 4.7X
    External 41.467 18.083 142.167 123.333 3.4X 6.8X 1.6X 1.4X
    Witcher 2 (DX9) Internal 20.700 6.083 70.683 29.567 3.4X 4.9X
    External 20.700 6.083 121.300 39.417 5.9X 6.5X 1.7X 1.3X
    Red Faction Armageddon (DX11) Internal 25.683 12.650 82.323 70.283 3.2X 5.6X
    External 25.683 12.650 107.333 84.667 4.1X 6.7X 1.3X 1.2X
    Bioshock Infinite (DX11) Internal NA for now
    External 36.533 15.733 149.367 69.317 4.1X 4.4X

• All numbers above are in frames per second done using FRAPS and recording 1 minute of actual gameplay

• All games were run at 1366x768. Internal and external monitor were set to this. VSync off everywhere. The Macbook Air 11" has this resolution on the LCD. Sorry that this kinda makes the numbers seem high for real-world-with-a-monitor gaming.

• "Internal" refers to numbers when rending in internal LCD mode. "External" is when I had an external monitor hooked up

• "Min settings" means that I set every setting to the lowest possible value. This should make the game run as fast as possible (but look ugly). "Max settings" is the opposite. If the game had the option for presets of "Very Low" and "Ultra", etc, I just selected those and didnt go into advanced modes (except to turn off VSync).

• Bioshock Infinite Internal LCD numbers arent ready yet.

Internal LCD Rendering vs External

A decision you'll need to make is if you want to plug a monitor into your video card or just use your laptop's monitor. Each has it's own pros and cons. You'll get faster performance with an external monitor, but you'll lose the convenience of not needing a giant monitor. This becomes relevant as people make better eGPU cases where your eGPU will be portable. Why bring a monitor to your friend's place when your laptop already has one?

It's actually kind of cool that you even get this choice. The way it works is by the NVidia Optimus drivers taking the video frame memory from the video card, piping it back over the Thunderbolt bridge to the Intel HD 5000 memory and overwriting Intel's memory so that you see the eGPU's output on the Intel LCD. Cool! If you're curious, this is the exact tech that's used when laptops have an NVidia internal discreet graphics chip.

Conclusion

It has become very clear that gaming is not only high-performance, but super practical on an 11" Macbook Air. There's so much going against it: this hodgepodge of adapters, it has a low voltage CPU, disaster of wiring and exposed sensitive parts, crazy boot-time chainloading software, Intel killing companies producing adapters and products left right and center via legal threats, etc. but somehow, with the right parts and some patience, it works spectacularly. And is quite cheap too!

Again I want to thank nando4 for all his help in working with me tirelessly over the last few months to get this working. Also, thanks goes out to TechInferno and the community thats been built here for allowing people to help eachother so efficiently. If you have any questions/comments, please feel free to reply to this thread.

I'm also available on twitter, @lg.

Thanks everyone -- have a great day! And enjoy gaming, I hear PayDay 2 is awesome too

kloper

Additional References

* http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-g...html#post63754 - an alternative guide put together after this one showing a native 10Gbps Thunderbolt solution for < $100 more.

* [GUIDE] 2012 13" MBP + GTX660Ti/HD7870@x2.2 (TH05): nando's extensive performance comparison of x1 2.0 (TB-to-EC) versus x2 2.0 (native TB) bandwidth, AMD vs NVidia, and NVidia Optimus vs LucidLogix Virtu drivers for internal LCD mode.

* [GUIDE] 2013 11" Macbook Air + GTX570@x2.2 Win7-BIOS (TH05): my writeup using a native Thunderbolt TH05 eGPU adapter

* [GUIDE] 2012 13" Retina MBP + BIOS-WIN7 + GTX570@x2.2 (TH05): my writeup using a native TH05 Thunderbolt eGPU adapter

* Thunderbolt, expresscard and mPCIe eGPU implementations: documented DIY TB/expresscard/mPCIe eGPU implementations.

Last edited by nando4; 10-06-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: title

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to kloper For This Useful Post:

Brian (07-30-2013),Michael (07-30-2013),Michael So (08-01-2013),nando4 (07-28-2013),Nospheratu (07-31-2013),StamatisX (07-30-2013),steberg (07-31-2013),svl7 (07-30-2013),unreal25 (07-29-2013)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Additional info relating to kloper's post

A tidier solution: use a US$170 BPlus PE4H 3.2 enclosure (below left) instead of US$70 BPlus PE4L 2.1b adapter (below right) used in kloper's article:

2011-2013 Thunderbolt is 10Gbps

I'm seeing comments at macrumors about Thunderbolt's bandwidth limitations. The electrical link to the pci-e device is x4 2.0 (16Gbps) but Thunderbolt is restricted downstream to 10Gbps, 12.5% slightly faster than x2 2.0 as discussed. Need to wait for 'Thunderbolt 2' with 2014 ETA to see them uprate that to 20Gbps. 'Thunderbolt 2' will be slightly faster than x4 2.0 performance, giving over 90% of real-world desktop PC performance.

Native 10Gbps Thunderbolt enclosure instead of using 5Gbps expresscard?

Kloper is using a Sonnet Echo Expresscard Pro Thunderbolt-to-expresscard adapter to connect a PE4L 2.1b (expresscard) to his MBA's TB port. That adapter downgrades bandwidth from Thunderbolt's native 10Gbps to Expresscard 2.0's 5Gbps.

OWC Helios and Sonnet Echo Express SE are alternative native 10Gbps TB solutions starting at a costlier $310. Though they have two additional problems. First is they'd need to remove the circuit board and run it without the case since it's restricted to single-width cards unless you want to pay US$799(!!) for a Sonnet Echo Express Pro that can host a double-width card. Second is they are missing the PCI Reset Delay circuit necessary for BIOS/MBR boot (bootcamped Win7/Win8) to work. T|I user strandmatte was able to overcome both these issues and present a faster 10Gbps native Thunderbolt solution costing less than $100 more than klopers expresscard-to-thunderbolt one. See strandmatte's guide at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-g...html#post63754 .

It's worth mentioning that a US$180 BPlus TH05 (inc Thunderbolt cable) native Thunderbolt adapter released in Sep 2012 had none of the issues the Sonnet Echo Express SE or OWC Helios has but was recalled in Jan 2013 due to (presumably) threats by Intel/Apple per TH05 recall notice. Prior to the recall, several users had successfully implementing eGPUs using the TH05 as shown below. These were simpler, cheaper and had double the pci-e bandwidth of kloper's expresscard (5Gbps) solution.

2013 13" Macbook Pro Retina + Nvidia/AMD (PE4L+TB-EC, BIOS) (nando4)
    2013 11/13" Macbook Air + GTX570@x2.2 (TH05, BIOS) (kloper)
    2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina + GTX560Ti@x2.2 (TH05, UEFI) (shelltoe)
    2012 13" Macbook Pro Retina +GTX570@x2.2 (TH05, BIOS) (kloper)
    2012 13" Macbook Pro Retina +GTX660@10Gbps (Sonnet Echo Express SE, BIOS) (Strandmatte)
    2012 13" Macbook Pro + GTX660Ti@x2.2 (TH05, BIOS + UEFI) (nando4)
    2012 11/13" Macbook Air + GTX560Ti@x2.2 (TH05, BIOS) (goggle_peace)

The performance difference between 10Gbps Thunderbolt and 5Gbps expresscard as used in Kloper's solution is discussed at 2012 13" MBP + GTX660Ti + HD7870 (TH05 @ x2 2.0) summarized as:

What performance benefit does x2 2.0 give over x1 2.0?

* external LCD: +4.8%, max=18.1% [GTX660Ti: +6.3% max=18.1%; HD7870=+3.2% max=8.8%]
    * internal LCD Optimus: +14.6% max=40.8%
    * internal LCD Virtu^$35 : +21.5% max=36.6% [GTX660Ti=23.6% max=36.6%; HD7870=19.5% max=34.2]

Users with IVB/SB expresscard/mPCIe eGPU implementations would likely want to know how much better performance would a Thunderbolt eGPU provide.

We see external LCD sees only +4.8% with max 18.1% performance improvement over x1 2.0. This means the sample benchmarks
    are not taxing the pci-e bus. The extra bandwidth required when running internal LCD mode where both Optimus and Virtu benefit significantly from the increased bandwidth.

Youtube gaming videos at expresscard 2.0 pci-e bandwidth level (x1.2Opt, 5Gbps + pci-e compression)

SimoxTav has produced the most comprehensive set of youtube game videos showing x1.2Opt internal LCD performance. x1.2Opt designates that a x1 link and iGPU was detected after which the NVidia Optimus driver engages pci-e compression greatly accelerating mostly DX9 titles (30-300%). That's using a 12.5" HP 2560P + GTX560 with the 1366x768 LCD resolution and 5Gbps pci-e bandwidth as kloper's 11" MBA above.

SimoxTa's Channel - YouTube: Battlefield 3, Starcraft 2, WOW, Diablo 3, NFS Shift 2, Dragon Age 2 + more
    SimoxTa's summary of performance seen. notebookreview.com host linked via webarchive as they've been a saboteur of this project.

Youtube gaming videos at native Thunderbolt pci-e bandwidth level (x2 2.0, ~10Gbps)

boon111 has youtube gaming videso showing x2 2.0 internal LCD performance. That's using a 2012 13" rMBP i7-3520M 2.9 + GTX670 with a native 10Gbps TH05 Thunderbolt adapter. Full configuration details at TH05 eGPU Setup 13" Retina Macbook Pro Late 2012.

boon111's channel - Youtube: Black Ops 2, Crysis 2, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Dirt 3, Borderlands2, Batman Arkham City.

Best upcoming option: US$250 Silverstone T004 450W native 10Gbps Thunderbolt enclosure

The affordable gamechanger may come if Silverstone T004 is released in the coming month or two. US$250 for a 450W double-width, full length and width native 10Gbps Thunderbolt eGPU enclosure. No messy wiring, well priced and looks great. Awesome. Will only be available for purchase if they pass Intel certification. Am curious if Intel will continue to be a fun-wrecker and block it or finally concede.

SilverStone debuts Thunderbolt external graphics card case
    Computex 2013: Thunderbolt Graphics from Silverstone

Seeking Intel/Apple cooperation

Intel have not exactly been generous in giving users pluggable bandwidth for their notebooks. Had they been more cooperative we would have seen mainstream eGPUs over 4 years go. Instead Intel obstructed the possibility by locking down features like user-settable x2/x4 southbridge ports (starting Series-6) preventing ganging mPCIe/expresscard slots to extract multi-lane bandwidth. Intel's oppositional conduct disorder means it's listed as a saboteur of this project.

Worse still is them gategrashing the TB eGPU party. As mentioned, TH05 Recall Notice shows Intel forced a recall in Jan 2013 of the US$180 BPlus TH05 released in Sep 2012. You are welcome to contact Intel's Thunderbolt development to voice your TB requirements:

>> Contact: Intel Thunderbolt Development Team <<

What if Intel/Apple continue to refuse to support eGPUs over Thunderbolt?

Then we'll continue to see more hacks via mPCIe slots such as MikJoa's workaround below. There Sony never bothered to allow an external desktop video card via it's proprietary 10Gbps Lightpeak port. So MikJoa completely ignored the LP port instead cutting a hole in his 13" Sony Z3 (awesome machine!) and wiring up an eGPU using the x1 2.0 (5Gbps) mPCIe wifi slot as shown below. End result is the same 5Gbps + pci-e compression bandwidth as kloper achieved but without any need for Thunderbolt accessories - it's all just straight pci-e 2.0, so is $134 cheaper than kloper's TB-to-expresscard solution. If Intel enabled pci-e 3.0 on their Southbridge ports then it would be x1 3.0, nearly the same bandwidth as 2011-2013 Thunderbolt.

Source: DIY eGPU guide for sony VAIO VPC-Z2 & SVZ13. Mikjoa's ultrabook-thin 13" Sony Z3 with i7-quad CPU and GTX660Ti@x1.2Opt eGPU packs quite a punch
    Last edited by nando4; 12-12-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    DIY eGPUeGPU Implementations: TB, EC, mPCIe12" HP 2570P with i7-3740QM@3.87GhzHP C2D DualIDA BIOS

14" Dell Latitude E6440 i7-4800MQ 3.7Ghz HD4600 1600x900 8GB 500GB SSHD + ODD + BCM4352AC WWAN Win7/64 + DIY eGPU (PE4C 2.1) weapon of choice:

GTX770@4Gbps+c-EC2 3dmkGPU:13-fs/11/06=7487/9842/30508
    R9 280X@4Gbps-EC2    3dmkGPU:13-fs/11/06=7314/9721/28904

13" Macbook Pro i5-3210M 3.1 HD4000 8GB 500GB Win7/64 +GTX660Ti@8Gbps-TB1 (TH05) 3dmkGPU:11/06=7810/18569

Which is better? E6440 is 2.5+ times better at 70% the cost of the MBP making it 3.5+ times better value => MBP had to go

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nando4 For This Useful Post:

Brian (07-30-2013),Michael So (08-01-2013),StamatisX (07-30-2013)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Items for Sale
    @kloper thanks for the very detailed guide. Sorry about the temporary downtime everyone, we didn't expect such a large influx of guests all at once. Server has been upgraded to handle the increased traffic.
    AMD 7970M Xfire vs. 680M SLI Review | All Powerful Alienware Steam Group | 680M SLI + BF3 Video

Desktop: Corsair C70 Vengeance | ASUS Maximus V Formula | Intel 3770K@4.5 GHz | EVGA SC Geforce GTX TITAN SLI | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 MHz | Corsair H100i | Corsair AX1200i PSU | Samsung PM 840 500 GB + 1 TB Seagate 7200 RPM | CM Storm Cherry MX Blue | Logitech Z506 5.1
    Display:LG 27EA83-D (LOVE IT!)
    Laptop: Sony VAIO SVS15 - 4.4 lbs of awesomeness.
    Phone: iPhone 6 Plus - finally!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    US$250 Silverstone T004 450W Thunderbolt enclosure

The affordable gamechanger may come if Silverstone T004 is released as they say in the coming month or two. $250 for a 450W double-width, full length Thunderbolt eGPU enclosure. Awesome.
    Very exciting to see this. But if Intel, as stated in the first post, will not give a license to a Thunderbolt device aimed for external GPU usage, then how can SilverStone ever release this product?

Ok, I saw you edited your post. Let's hope Intel will stop their nonsense, they are getting bad reputation. Would be rather pointless of SilverStone to even start work on this just to get rejected.
    Last edited by Mackan; 07-31-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M17x R4 i7 3940XM OEM @4.3GHz - Modded A10 bios - 8GB 1866MHz CL9 HyperX Limited Edition RAM - Bigfoot Killer 1103 Wifi - 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 512GB Samsung PM830 SSD - Dell nVidia GTX 780M 4GB with unlocked vbios @1006/3000Mhz - 120Hz 3D 1080p with Light Boost

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about performance

First of all, you must have big balls (and a big wallet) to try something like this.

I have a couple of questions about the performance if you find the time to show a bit more. I've seen companies like MSI, Silvertone, and others build prototype external GPUs for Thunderbolt over the past couple years that only worked with Windows as well but none of them had benchmarks like yours listed.

Do you have any other GPUs form different generations you could try? I am curious to know what the cap on performance would be. Like, would a GTX460 (or whatever older card) get the same or worse numbers as the 570 you have.

Could you post a video of game play footage when in an intense battle? More baddies the better. Let's see this thing under a heavy load. What's the frame rate then. (No offence, but shaking the mouse around in a friendly city is hardly stressing the card).

Just want to know what the cap is/might be on this kind of rig. I mean, your 570 is plug into a port that's a fraction of the speed NVIDIA says is it should need for it's "peak bandwidth" of 160 Gbit/s. Basically, I just want to see this thing catch fire lol! No, but I would like to see a big battle of some kind. StarCraft 2 would be a good one, having to render all of those little units live in some of the custom tug of war games are stressful on the system.

Anyway, thanks for humoring me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by takeabyte View Post
    First of all, you must have big balls (and a big wallet) to try something like this.

I have a couple of questions about the performance if you find the time to show a bit more. I've seen companies like MSI, Silvertone, and others build prototype external GPUs for Thunderbolt over the past couple years that only worked with Windows as well but none of them had benchmarks like yours listed.

Do you have any other GPUs form different generations you could try? I am curious to know what the cap on performance would be. Like, would a GTX460 (or whatever older card) get the same or worse numbers as the 570 you have.

Could you post a video of game play footage when in an intense battle? More baddies the better. Let's see this thing under a heavy load. What's the frame rate then. (No offence, but shaking the mouse around in a friendly city is hardly stressing the card).

Just want to know what the cap is/might be on this kind of rig. I mean, your 570 is plug into a port that's a fraction of the speed NVIDIA says is it should need for it's "peak bandwidth" of 160 Gbit/s. Basically, I just want to see this thing catch fire lol! No, but I would like to see a big battle of some kind. StarCraft 2 would be a good one, having to render all of those little units live in some of the custom tug of war games are stressful on the system.

Anyway, thanks for humoring me.
    Other youtube gaming videos showing peformance at this pci-e bandwidth level (x1.2Opt, 5Gbps)

SimoxTa has produced the most comprehensive set of youtube game videos showing x1.2Opt internal LCD performance. That's using a 12.5" HP 2560P + GTX560 with the 1366x768 LCD resolution and 5Gbps pci-e bandwidth as kloper's 11" MBA above.

SimoxTa's Channel - YouTube: Starcraft II, WOW, Diablo 3, NFS Shift 2, Dragon Age 2 + more
    SimoxTa's summary of performance seen. notebookreview.com host linked via webarchive as they've been a saboteur of this project.
    Last edited by nando4; 07-31-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    DIY eGPUeGPU Implementations: TB, EC, mPCIe12" HP 2570P with i7-3740QM@3.87GhzHP C2D DualIDA BIOS

14" Dell Latitude E6440 i7-4800MQ 3.7Ghz HD4600 1600x900 8GB 500GB SSHD + ODD + BCM4352AC WWAN Win7/64 + DIY eGPU (PE4C 2.1) weapon of choice:

GTX770@4Gbps+c-EC2 3dmkGPU:13-fs/11/06=7487/9842/30508
    R9 280X@4Gbps-EC2    3dmkGPU:13-fs/11/06=7314/9721/28904

13" Macbook Pro i5-3210M 3.1 HD4000 8GB 500GB Win7/64 +GTX660Ti@8Gbps-TB1 (TH05) 3dmkGPU:11/06=7810/18569

Which is better? E6440 is 2.5+ times better at 70% the cost of the MBP making it 3.5+ times better value => MBP had to go

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kloper View Post

As part of this tutorial, we'll be using Windows 7 BIOS (installed the regular Bootcamp way). Things are possible in Windows 8 as well, but the instructions differ, and I've also had troubles getting Internal LCD rendering working on Windows 8. Yeah I'm not a fan of using legacy Windows versions either, but whatever, every game works on both OSes for now anyways. Oh and we're using Windows because games only exist for it, and I can't get the setup to work on OSX (haven't tried too much though).

Alright, lets get started!

This is AWESOME! I have been waiting for this solution to come for so long! I will definitely try this out over the weekend!

However I have a question regarding OSX. Many of us use OSX for video editing, and if I were able to use this method to boost my graphics card on OSX that would make my life complete. Currently my macbook retina's 13" graphics is a bit too slacky and slow for what I do in terms of editing.

Do you think it would be possible to make this work for video editing on OSX any time soon?

Kind Regards

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pashashocky View Post
    This is AWESOME! I have been waiting for this solution to come for so long! I will definitely try this out over the weekend!

However I have a question regarding OSX. Many of us use OSX for video editing, and if I were able to use this method to boost my graphics card on OSX that would make my life complete. Currently my macbook retina's 13" graphics is a bit too slacky and slow for what I do in terms of editing.

Do you think it would be possible to make this work for video editing on OSX any time soon?

Kind Regards

It seems like we will have to wait until Apple makes graphics card compatible with thunderbolt and it's OS. If you use an older macbook pro with expresscard, a non-thunderbolt egpu is virtually plug and play with OS X.
    -2012 Mac Mini (2.3ghz quad core i7 ivy bridge, Intel HD 4000, 1tb hdd, 8gb 1600mhz ram)--linked to Vidock 4+ egpu with GTX 670 using sonnet echo TB adapter--27inch Asus 1080p monitor.
    -Windows 8.1 Bootcamp 64bit
    -3Dmark06=23081 -3Dmark11=7566P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey there! Congratulations on what you did there and thanks for the very detailed guide, I pretend to follow it with my laptop and later post my results. However, I'm a MacBook Pro 13'' Core i7 Mid 2012 owner, so I guess I need a different pci.bat file.

Does anyone here have the .bat file I need for my laptop? I'd be eternally thankful if so.

On the other hand, I'm not quite sure about the portability I'd get from the moment I install the eGPU and so on. What are the steps to follow, for example, if I have to use windows later not in my home? Or if I just want to take my laptop anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast