2011 11" MBA + GTX750Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.10 [johndshea]

Hello all! I've been a lurker on this thread for several months now and decided to finally bite the bullet and do my first eGPU build with the AKiTiO. It's up and running beautifully in Yosemite after following @entzoe's instructions here, after a few hiccups (e.g., apparently the driver installation and kext editing must be done in a very specific order).

Right now, I'm running the 750Ti off the AKiTiO's power alone, with the enclosure on too. And it seems to be running fine! This is confusing to me because my understanding is that the AKiTiO only provides 25W to the card and even the 750Ti requires 60W. So I'm concerned that a) I'm damaging the AKiTiO by exceeding its power envelope or B) my 750Ti won't run properly because it's power-starved, or both. Update: running the 750Ti on the AKiTiO's 60W PSU alone proved to be moderately unstable. I eventually shifted to using a 500W ATX PSU + powered riser with the 750Ti, which was more stable, then to running a Mini-ITX GTX760 and later a Mini-ITX GTX 970 with the AKiTiO, both of which were even more stable.

I'm well behind the learning curve on electrical engineering compared to most people on this thread. However, if my setup really is working well, it's possible that the AKiTiO is capable of running a midrange Maxwell GPU without any other hardware needed.

post-31913-14494998985337_thumb.png

post-31913-14494998987526_thumb.jpg

OpenGL benchmark with the GTX750Ti running only on the AiKiTO's own power supply (not bad for a base model 11'' MBA!):

post-31913-14494998990044_thumb.png

OpenGL benchmark with the GTX750Ti running on an EVGA 500w ATX PSU through a powered riser (as you can see, barely any difference):

post-31913-14494998995069_thumb.png

For comparison - OpenGL benchmark for the MBA's original integrated Intel HD5000 GPU:

post-31913-14494998995447_thumb.png

For good measure: here's the same benchmark replacing my 750Ti with a GTX 970:

post-31913-14494999242198_thumb.png

post-31913-14494998985096_thumb.png

post-31913-14494998985626_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi John!

I'm new here and I am also wondering if the GTX 750 ti can driven without a powered PCIe-Riser. From what I heard of being concerns, there is at first the problem of the GPU-Card getting hot an melting cables inside the case or something else, an the second is, that it draws to much power from the board so it can be damaged.

Can you tell us about your experiences? Did you experience any performance drops while rendering for a longer time, or does it even smell when the card is at max. power?

How hot does it get?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi @salut,

Heat doesn't appear to be an issue. The 750ti runs very cool, usually even cool to the touch even when running, for example, Dragon Age Inquisition at Ultra settings, 1080p (which runs off the Frostbite III engine, very demanding).

However, my machine is unstable lately - I've been getting periodic crashes both in Windows and in OS X. I'm 90% sure the eGPU is to blame, but the crashes don't appear to follow any discernible pattern. For example, they seem to be no more likely to occur when I'm stressing the GPU (gaming, benchmarking, etc) than any other time, and they don't appear to be more likely to occur if the computer has been running for some time. As far as I can tell, they are random.

The obvious suspect is the power supply issue on the AKiTiO. I'm currently testing a hunch that the cause may have been the fact that I daisy-chained a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter with the AKiTiO and that the ethernet adapter might have been the culprit creating unpredictable power requirements on the AKiTiO's PSU unrelated to the power draw of the 750Ti. It sounds pretty out-there, but I'm testing that theory and we'll see how it goes.

Update: removing the daisy-chained thunderbolt ethernet adapter didn't seem to improve things. Neither did running the 750Ti with a 500w power supply and a powered riser, so either my riser is busted or the power draw isn't the culprit. Something else is awry here, and I'm not sure what it is.

From what I read in the Forum, the Akitio doesn't need it's own PSU when driven with the powered riser.

So if your setup works with the riser and without Akitio's PSU that would be a sign for the riser working properly I think.

Did you check that?

I just tried with the new riser and had the same result - the AKiTiO still needs its own power supply. I also tested the AKiTiO/gtx750Ti combo with a brand-new 13'' Macbook Pro and it got the exact same benchmarks as the MBA (which is odd - you'd expect that the jump from Thunderbolt 1 to Thunderbolt 2 would result in a performance jump, not to mention the spec jump from the base MBA to a MBP with twice the RAM and a faster CPU).

Lately, I've tried booting the AKiTiO with the MBP and its own internal power supply and it won't do it at all. I am hoping that I haven't permanently damaged the AKiTiO, which was my primary worry. I have a GTX760 coming tomorrow and will test with that.

Very confused.

Here's a question for @Tech Inferno Fan or @goalque or one of the other forum members with way more electrical engineering expertise - is it possible to damage the AKiTiO unit by running the 750Ti off of the AKiTiO's power alone (i.e. without a powered riser or any other power source other than that provided by the AKiTiO board alone). I would think that the 750Ti would simply be power-starved and unstable and wouldn't be capable of drawing excessive voltage through the AKiTiO, but something tells me it might not be that simple.

Many thanks, guys! I appreciate the help.

The AKiTiO might be alright with that. But my conserns are more for the stock PSU. Can you measure the power drawen under load? I tested with the AKiTiO PSU and got results up to 80W. The AKiTiO PSU is only specified for 12V, 5A = 60W.

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7879-%5Bguide%5D-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-a.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, @Dschijn! Do you know of any mac software to measure power draw? I don't.

I'm less concerned with damaging the AKiTiO's power adapter (as those are easily replaceable) and more for the board itself. If the board itself is probably fine, I feel very relieved.

I have a Mini-ITX GTX 760 coming today, so I should be able to test that with an ATX PSU and report as well. So I'll be able to compare all six combinations of a MBP (TB2) or MBA (TB1) with a GTX750Ti (both with and without powered riser) or a GTX 760 with external ATX power.

johndshea, I am very interested in figuring out why most TB2 Macs can't do eGPU external display in OS X, you are one of few to report this as working

Did you do any special steps?

Hi @MVC, I didn't actually do anything particularly special other than the process outlined by @nesone here. Basically, you have to do some modifications to the NVIDIA web drivers to get them to install, program your NVRAM so it accepts unsigned drivers, modify some kext files, and you're all set (see @nesone 's instructions, he lays it all out very well). It took a little bit of trial and error and creativity, but I managed to get an AKiTiO/GTX750Ti combo working both on my TB1 MBA and my TB2 MBP. For some reason, the MBA is able to run the AKiTiO/GTX750Ti without any additional power such as a powered riser, though it is not stable. The MBP absolutely requires the AKiTiO/GTX750Ti to have additional power to even boot properly. I don't know whether this is related to any difference between TB1 and TB2.

Hi @MVC, I didn't actually do anything particularly special other than the process outlined by @nesone here. Basically, you have to do some modifications to the NVIDIA web drivers to get them to install, program your NVRAM so it accepts unsigned drivers, modify some kext files, and you're all set (see @nesone 's instructions, he lays it all out very well). It took a little bit of trial and error and creativity, but I managed to get an AKiTiO/GTX750Ti combo working both on my TB1 MBA and my TB2 MBP. For some reason, the MBA is able to run the AKiTiO/GTX750Ti without any additional power such as a powered riser, though it is not stable. The MBP absolutely requires the AKiTiO/GTX750Ti to have additional power to even boot properly. I don't know whether this is related to any difference between TB1 and TB2.

Your Early 2014 Macbook Air is the 3rd TB2 Mac supporting screen output via Nvidia eGPU, concluding the reports that I have seen here so far. Regarding powered risers, there are two type of them: those which don't have 12V lines at all to the other end, and getting power from the side molex plug only, and those that have the lines all the way (and feeding power back to AKiTiO without needing any additional power source). I confirmed this by a multimeter.

EDIT: I thought all the 2014 Macs are TB2, but your model is TB1.

Your Early 2014 Macbook Air is the 3rd TB2 Mac supporting screen output via Nvidia eGPU, concluding the reports that I have seen here so far.

goalque, nice catch. Would be great to compile a list of which ones work and which ones don't

BTW, there is a nMP sitting in my entry, I just need to bust open the box

Thanks, @goalque, I wasn't aware of the different types of risers. That explains it! I appreciate the electrical help, I'm not very experienced with that.

Update: I received my MSI mini-ITX GTX 760 today and am running it now on the AKiTiO box with my 500w ATX PSU providing power through the PCIe 8-pin connector on the 760 as we speak. It appears to be completely stable in OSX Yosemite (so far). It runs an external display perfectly both on my 11'' Early 2014 Macbook Air and on my 13'' Mid 2014 Macbook Pro (Retina). Interestingly, benchmarks on each are pretty close to being the same (see below). It appears that there is little-to-no performance difference between a Thunderbolt 2 connection (on the Macbook Pro) and a Thunderbolt 1 connection (on the Macbook Air) when using an eGPU with the AKiTiO. My speculation is that this is because the 4 PCIe lanes the AKiTiO provides already max out at 5Gbps themselves, well within the throughput range of both TB1 and TB2.

In summary:

1) Early 2014 11'' Macbook Air (TB1) with GTX750Ti running purely on the AKiTiO's own power (no riser): works under both OSX and Windows, but unstable under load, scores roughly 440 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

2) Mid 2014 13'' Macbook Pro (TB2) with GTX750Ti running purely on the AKiTiO's own power (no riser): works under both OSX and Windows, but unstable under load, scores roughly 440 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

3) Early 2014 11'' Macbook Air (TB1) with GTX750Ti running on the AKiTiO with a 500W ATX PSU via a powered riser: works under both OSX and Windows, stable under load, scores roughly 440 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

4) Mid 2014 13'' Macbook Pro (TB2) with GTX750Ti running on the AKiTiO with a 500W ATX PSU via a powered riser: works under both OSX and Windows, stable under load, scores roughly 440 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

5) Early 2014 11'' Macbook Air (TB1) with Mini-ITX GTX760 running on the AKiTiO with a 500W ATX PSU via 8-pin PCIe connectors (no riser): works under both OSX and Windows, stable under load, scores roughly 660 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

6) Mid 2014 13'' Macbook Pro (TB2) with Mini-ITX GTX760 running on the AKiTiO with a 500W ATX PSU via 8-pin PCIe connectors (no riser): works under both OSX and Windows, stable under load, scores roughly 680 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

post-31913-14494999057485_thumb.png

Update: The Mini-ITX MSI/Nvidia GTX760 appears to run properly as an eGPU even when using the stock Mac OS X graphics driver in Yosemite! I'm not entirely sure why this is - perhaps because Yosemite supports the GTX760 natively? I'm surprised it will allow it to run in an eGPU though. Can anyone else with a GTX760 and an AKiTiO confirm this?

post-31913-14494999065886_thumb.png

post-31913-14494999057076_thumb.png

Yes, the Nvidia drivers are only REQUIRED for Maxwell cards and Titan Black and 780Ti. All the rest of previous Nvidia cards have drivers in OS and don't REQUIRE web drivers, per se.

Could you correct title of this thread?

A 2011 MBA is a very different story from a 2014 one. You are one of very few people with a TB2 Mac having no trouble getting external displays running and the title of this thread is hiding the value of your success.

Your Early 2014 Macbook Air is the 3rd TB2 Mac supporting screen output via Nvidia eGPU, concluding the reports that I have seen here so far.

EDIT: I thought all the 2014 Macs are TB2, but your model is TB1.

Wow, so a 2014 MBA is TB1?

AT this point I wonder what the other 2 @ TB2 Macs with TB2 were that got display output, as at this time it is appearing that TB2 killed eGPU display output in OS X. Will be very important thing to clarify.

johndshea, can you verify that your machine is TB1?

@MVC yes, my Early 2014 MBA is TB1. I also have a Mid-2014 MBP which is TB2. Both are working with my GTX760/AKiTiO eGPU.

Excellent, so we DO have a TB2 Mac with display output in OS X.

And the winner is a 2014 MBP (non-retina?)

I have tested on a 2014 rMBP and it had the "no display in OS X" issue so this may be narrowing things down. Does yours have dGPU or just iGPU?

It's a Mid-2014 13" Macbook Pro with Retina Display with an Intel Iris GPU. I did the exact same setup that I did with my Early 2014 Macbook Air (Nvidia Web Drivers, AKiTiO unit w. 500W ATX PSU, MSI Mini-ITX GTX760), and it worked equally well.

Oddly enough, the performance difference between the TB1 MBA and the TB2 MBP was negligible. But they both were quite stable in OSX Yosemite with the eGPU.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs.html -> Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

Your title says 2011 even if it is 2014 model.

So the Mid 2014 13" MBPr is the 3rd TB2 Mac that has external screen output on OS X? @MVC: The two other TB2 Macs I meant are: Late 2013 13" MBPr and Late 2013 15" MBPr with 750M dGPU, both support an external monitor via Nvidia eGPU on OS X, however the latter only sometimes after reboot. I am examining advantages of the AMD compared to Nvidia:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8585-%5Bwip%5D-2014-15-macbook-pro-2-x-r9_280x%4016gbps-tb2-netstor-na211tb-win8-1-osx.html#post117016

There seems to be even more benefits, not only detecting an external monitor via eGPU on OS X, but you can also work lid closed and wake the Mac from sleep without kernel panic. More updates in near days.

Update: The Mini-ITX MSI/Nvidia GTX760 appears to run properly as an eGPU even when using the stock Mac OS X graphics driver in Yosemite! I'm not entirely sure why this is - perhaps because Yosemite supports the GTX760 natively? I'm surprised it will allow it to run in an eGPU though. Can anyone else with a GTX760 and an AKiTiO confirm this?

I experienced the same with the GTX780 and 2013 13" MBPr - the screen output works with the default OS X drivers, and you can install Nvidia web drivers without modifying them. Older cards give these benefits, also CUDA calculating and HDMI works more likely than using Maxwell architecture cards.

@goalque, thanks! I can confirm that both my setups support wake from sleep without kernel panic using the Nvidia cards. I can also work with the lid closed, although OSX doesn't disable the internal display properly - rather, it simply turns it off but still displays it in System preferences and you can still drag items onto the display as if it was turned on. Also, I forgot to note: my eGPU is not hot-pluggable on either setup on OSX or in Windows. I have to reboot to plug it in whenever I want to connect or disconnect it.

One issue I've been running into is that my laptops always end up suffering from intermittent crashes starting 3-5 days into my eGPU usage. The crashes don't seem to happen under heavy usage, and appear to be pretty random. Also they don't occur during the first couple of days, only once I've been running the eGPU for a week or so (periodically). Very strange. Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

@goalque, thanks! I can confirm that both my setups support wake from sleep without kernel panic using the Nvidia cards. I can also work with the lid closed, although OSX doesn't disable the internal display properly - rather, it simply turns it off but still displays it in System preferences and you can still drag items onto the display as if it was turned on. Also, I forgot to note: my eGPU is not hot-pluggable on either setup on OSX or in Windows. I have to reboot to plug it in whenever I want to connect or disconnect it.

One issue I've been running into is that my laptops always end up suffering from intermittent crashes starting 3-5 days into my eGPU usage. The crashes don't seem to happen under heavy usage, and appear to be pretty random. Also they don't occur during the first couple of days, only once I've been running the eGPU for a week or so (periodically). Very strange. Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thanks for this information. There have been a couple of MBP owners saying about sleep mode problems, and I have noted the same with my MBPr + Nvidia - this happens when it goes automatically to the sleep mode on OS X, but usually it seems to work (2013 13" MBPr). I guess hot-plugging is not possible with the AMD either. Graphics card is a PCI device that needs to be configured in booting.

Thanks, @goalque, I wasn't aware of the different types of risers. That explains it! I appreciate the electrical help, I'm not very experienced with that.

Update: I received my MSI mini-ITX GTX 760 today and am running it now on the AKiTiO box with my 500w ATX PSU providing power through the PCIe 8-pin connector on the 760 as we speak. It appears to be completely stable in OSX Yosemite (so far). It runs an external display perfectly both on my 11'' Early 2014 Macbook Air and on my 13'' Mid 2014 Macbook Pro (Retina). Interestingly, benchmarks on each are pretty close to being the same (see below). It appears that there is little-to-no performance difference between a Thunderbolt 2 connection (on the Macbook Pro) and a Thunderbolt 1 connection (on the Macbook Air) when using an eGPU with the AKiTiO. My speculation is that this is because the 4 PCIe lanes the AKiTiO provides already max out at 5Gbps themselves, well within the throughput range of both TB1 and TB2.

In summary:

1) Early 2014 11'' Macbook Air (TB1) with GTX750Ti running purely on the AKiTiO's own power (no riser): works under both OSX and Windows, but unstable under load, scores roughly 440 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

2) Mid 2014 13'' Macbook Pro (TB2) with GTX750Ti running purely on the AKiTiO's own power (no riser): works under both OSX and Windows, but unstable under load, scores roughly 440 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

3) Early 2014 11'' Macbook Air (TB1) with GTX750Ti running on the AKiTiO with a 500W ATX PSU via a powered riser: works under both OSX and Windows, stable under load, scores roughly 440 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

4) Mid 2014 13'' Macbook Pro (TB2) with GTX750Ti running on the AKiTiO with a 500W ATX PSU via a powered riser: works under both OSX and Windows, stable under load, scores roughly 440 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

5) Early 2014 11'' Macbook Air (TB1) with Mini-ITX GTX760 running on the AKiTiO with a 500W ATX PSU via 8-pin PCIe connectors (no riser): works under both OSX and Windows, stable under load, scores roughly 660 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

6) Mid 2014 13'' Macbook Pro (TB2) with Mini-ITX GTX760 running on the AKiTiO with a 500W ATX PSU via 8-pin PCIe connectors (no riser): works under both OSX and Windows, stable under load, scores roughly 680 in Unigine Heaven benchmark "Extreme" @ 1080p.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13544[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13545[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13554[/ATTACH]

i read your post and i plan to buy gtx 750 ti (60w) and akitio thunder2 for my mac mini 2012. i just need help. what kind of power riser do i need a buy to work stable? can this work with any kind of power supply? for example 400w?

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2011 11" MBA + GTX750Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX10.10 [johndshea]