Possible to overclock an APU with an AMD Radeon HD 8400?

Hey Gang,

I have a Toshiba c55dt-a5307 notebook.

It has an A-5200 APU with an integrated AMD Radeon HD 8400 graphics card.

Its a "16h family" processor if that matters.

The BIOS clocks are locked, and every Catalyst driver I try doesn't allow the AMD Overdrive software to be enabled.

I realize this is not a gaming laptop, but I would like to get the most out of this APU as possible.

Are there any drivers existing that allow this APU to be overclocked a little?

I've tried softwares like Razer Game Booster and MSI Afterburner and didn't really gain anything noticeable.

I'm also quite sure a BOIS/vBIOS mod will be needed, but i'll hold that request as a last resort.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

All you can do is lock the clock to the turbo clock, which results in some gain. This happens when you try to overclock with any program like afterburner.

You can try adding a memory stick for dual-channel which will almost double gaming performance. Due to how terrible Toshiba BIOS is though you're likely stuck at 1333, can't use 8GB sticks, and can't use most 4GB sticks. The only 4GB sticks you can use are single-rank sticks, which you can identify by only having 4 memory chips per side of the stick. These sticks are also around 10% slower at the same frequency as dual-rank sticks with 8 chips on both sides. You can try a dual-rank stick, but I doubt it will work.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can try adding a memory stick for dual-channel which will almost double gaming performance. Due to how terrible Toshiba BIOS is though you're likely stuck at 1333, can't use 8GB sticks, and can't use most 4GB sticks ...

I am looking at this memory at Crucial.

16GB kit (8GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 upgrades for Toshiba Satellite C55Dt-A5307 Laptop/Notebook, CT4988390 from Crucial.com

I would get the fastest/largest available.

What ya think?

That tool assumes that the laptop can run the memory it should run, even if it can't. For example it says my mom's laptop can run 8GB sticks even though it really can't.

If Toshiba fixed their BIOS then the laptop can run any DDR3 and you can get the memory from anywhere. If not then you have the limitations that I stated above. No need to pay extra for the Crucial tool's recommendation.

• Thumbs Up 1