upgrademonkey GTX 880M Review /preview

I'd be much appreciated if anyone can help me with the driver issue, so we can finish with a proper review.

and if you found the preview is useful, you are welcome to copy/paste to other forum. no need to contact me , and you can remove the upgrademonkey words.

post-4965-14494996909204_thumb.jpg

The 880M is coming this Feb 2014. Here at upgrademonkey we are having an world exclusive peek of the brand new 880M, the new king of mobile graphic card. Essentially a rebranded 780M with higher clock speed. Like in the car industry, there are refresh and new generation of products. This 880M belongs to the refresh, the architecture of the GPU is unchanged, while with the improvement on manufacturing process. We can now labour a higher speed at the same thermal and power allowance. There won’t be anything suprising or even exciting with the new 880M. however the limited performance gain is welcomed, with the 4K display available fairly soon as a spec option. We anticipate the Graphic performance will fairly soon become the bottlenecks of mobile again.The 880M is coming this Feb 2014. Here at upgrademonkey we are having an world exclusive peek of the brand new 880M, the new king of mobile graphic card. Essentially a rebranded 780M with higher clock speed. Like in the car industry, there are refresh and new generation of products. This 880M belongs to the refresh, the architecture of the GPU is unchanged, while with the improvement on manufacturing process. We can now labour a higher speed at the same thermal and power allowance. There won’t be anything suprising or even exciting with the new 880M. however the limited performance gain is welcomed, with the 4K display available fairly soon as a spec option. We anticipate the Graphic performance will fairly soon become the bottlenecks of mobile again.

Hardware:

The PCB is the same Green colour, not the prettiest, but hey this is no beauty contest in the hardware arena .so we are not complaining. It is fascination to see Nvidia managed to squzzed 8 Gig of memory in to a gaming card. We have seen that in the K5100M,( again proud to be the first to test it) which is the king of mobile professional card. I am not sure if we are going to see massive gain from the double memory chips. Is it a marketing gimmick ? let find out later.

Our testing rig is Clevo P177SM, with 4930MX the king of mobile CPU installed , 16Gh of Ram,

post-4965-1449499690994_thumb.jpg

And now the 880M. now we are having the fastest laptop ( single card) in the world. This should be no bottom neck for our new sweetheart 880M. I particularly set the keyboard to random lights, This should match the mood of Christmas handover and the Chinese new year is coming in 2 weeks.

post-4965-14494996910057_thumb.jpg

post-4965-14494996910223_thumb.gif

we can see the 880M model is not fully recognized in the system with the mod .inf.

post-4965-14494996936194_thumb.jpg

post-4965-1449499693636_thumb.jpg

we can see the card is cool maxed out at 86degree C with room temperature of 21.5 Degree C. still the card throttled.

The Test: let call it a mock test. (note : the 880M was tested with 780M driver, no offical driver avaiable at the time of testing, therefore we are experiencing performance bottleneck, throttling problem.

with our experience of grahpic card, we can safely estimate the "Real" score of 880M should be about 3Dmark Pmode 9000-9500 , and 3Dmark 11 X mode 3000-3100)

post-4965-14494996909686_thumb.jpg 3Dmark X mode, the gain form 3Dmark Xmode is higher, this can contributed by the extra 4G Vram, which may help with heavy load. I'd love to test the 880M with a 4K screen, (nearly bought one , at the moment only have 3 X 27inch apple cinema display sports 2560x 1440 in our stuido)

post-4965-14494996910458_thumb.jpg same story with 3Dmark 2013

post-4965-14494996910813_thumb.jpg

post-4965-14494996935413_thumb.jpg

To wrap up, The GTX 880M nodoubt is the new King of mobile graphic card ,with the 8970M and 780M not far behind, but it is not getting a sound sleep with the 9970M or rumored 290M coming out fairly soon. It should be interesting to benchmark the 2 new mobile gaming kings head to head. Keep turned with upgrademonkey, we should see you very shortly.

post-4965-14494996908829_thumb.jpg

post-4965-14494996909451_thumb.jpg

post-4965-14494996935861_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 7

again ,for media/ experienced tester / enthusiasts/reviewer , we are more than happy to lend card out upgrademonkey. We only have 4 pcs. so chop chop! it is free of charge, you only need to pay for shipping. if you are good, we will even cover one way shipping. ( fully refundable deposit is required, guaranteed by paypal)

send me a private message/ email lee A@T upgrademonkey D.O.T com

• Thumbs Up 4

Thanks for the mini review upgrademonkey. Awesome work :)

I do however think that those cards run a bit on the hot side though. But I guess that is to be expected when you are dealing with 1GHz clocks. Would love to see some temperature measurements during a small gaming session or something to get an accurate picture of the temps since you tested Furmark which is pretty extreme.

Personally I`m looking forward to Maxwell before upgrading though. Hope you guys will be selling them as well.

Well If your looking for testers that will put these cards thru there paces, well like the message i sent you on ebay..Mr.Fox, Johnkss, Svl7, and my self would be the way to go.. im willing to pay for shipping for a set to help out this review and get them going the way there supposed to be.. feel free to pm me here, ebay or on NBR..

again ,for media/ experienced tester / enthusiasts/reviewer , we are more than happy to lend card out upgrademonkey. We only have 4 pcs. so chop chop! it is free of charge, you only need to pay for shipping. if you are good, we will even cover one way shipping. ( fully refundable deposit is required, guaranteed by paypal)

send me a private message/ email lee A@T upgrademonkey D.O.T com

Well If your looking for testers that will put these cards thru there paces, well like the message i sent you on ebay..Mr.Fox, Johnkss, Svl7, and my self would be the way to go.. im willing to pay for shipping for a set to help out this review and get them going the way there supposed to be.. feel free to pm me here, ebay or on NBR..

SVL7, it possible to flash ours GTX 780M with GTX 880M bios ?

PS: I have flashed your bios OC to my card and I have heavy throttling on Bioshock 1, voltage drop and frequency to, but card temperature are fine, I see power spike sometime at 294 it normal ? Card are not overclocked

PS: I have flashed your bios OC to my card and I have heavy throttling on Bioshock 1, voltage drop and frequency to, but card temperature are fine, I see power spike sometime at 294 it normal ? Card are not overclocked

Isn't your fps still over 200 even with the throttling? The card is throttling likely because it's cpu limited so there's no reason to run full speed.

Isn't your fps still over 200 even with the throttling? The card is throttling likely because it's cpu limited so there's no reason to run full speed.

FPS over 200? Not sure what you're referring to.

3dm11 GPU tests are CPU independent, well at least from what I've seen on my system. The pic above was with the stock vbios, here's how I'd expect it to look...

post-80-14494997014128_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 2

3dm11 GPU tests are CPU independent, well at least from what I've seen on my system. The pic above was with the stock vbios, here's how I'd expect it to look...

[ATTACH]10743[/ATTACH]

He was talking about bioshock 1. I remember maxing that out on a ddr2 9600m gt. I would expect a modern card to throttle due to underutilization.

Svl7, he talked to me not you lol, but can you answer to me please ?

[ATTACH]10743[/ATTACH]

Hum ok and can you say what is the voltage P00 ? or during boost ?

PS: For the problem with the GTX 780M bios that you have make and the problem that I have explained before do you have a solution ?

Sorry guys, I just realized, hahaha, my bad.

I can't guarantee that it will work, different board ID. Only one way to find out.