Haswell preview

THG got a hold of a 4770k and benchmarked it vs IVB and SNB at the same clocks.

Core i7-4770K: Haswell's Performance, Previewed : Core i7-4770K Gets Previewed

The IPC increases look to be slightly larger than those from SNB to IVB, but TDP is actually HIGHER than IVB at the same clocks (84W vs 77W)

Looks like a very minor upgrade, just like SNB to IVB was, unless you want to use the IGP. Hopefully there was a flaw with their test setup so the performance gain is actually higher. They did get oddly low memory bandwidth, but AMD's APUs also get very poor memory bandwidth to prioritize the GPU over CPU, so maybe Intel did the same for more IGP performance.

As an EE major taking VLSI courses I am not expecting anything good from the 16nm die shrink after this. The chip makers need to make MAJOR changes (ditch FETs, likely for LBJTs) for die shrinks to continue.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a little disappointed.

Most of the big gains only appear in specialized tests that uniquely target Haswell features. Of course you would expect Haswell dominance when older generation CPU's don't have the dedicated features.

When it comes to Desktop Haswell: While the integrated GPU upgrade is welcome, there was no surprise that AMD APU's would still be better. Honestly I believe this is rightly so. In my opinion, Desktop Intel should be suited best for high end clock-for-clock CPU performance while if you want gaming performance or special modeling or design software, get a dedicated GPU (which will win 100% of the time). Even for cookie-cutter work PC environments that only need a CPU and integrated graphics, what is the difference between running Excel or Word at 60 fps or 80 fps? And as far as general CPU performance, gains were only 5-13%.

I am excited about the chipset changes though. I always welcome more Sata6 and Usb3.

What I hope to see in Mobile Haswell: This is where the i-GPU upgrade will really help. I would really like to see power consumption and heat levels as well, not to mention the addition of more chipset ports.

I still don't like the movement toward soldering the CPU into the motherboard.

• 3 weeks later...