[Help] Flashing BIOS to unlock vbios

[FONT=Verdana]I'm on an alienware m14x r2 and i'm attempting to flash it to unlock the bios in order to overclock my keplar gpu at higher frequencies instead of being capped at +135 Mhz. I referred to this thread here as a starting point.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana][[url]http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1841-[/url][m14x-r2]-vbios-mods-unlocked-overclocking-limits-voltage-tweaks-modified-clocks.html][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]For those not familiar with an alienware m14x r2 hardware, check below.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]

Quote :

Alienware M14X R2

A03 BIOS

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHzV

2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M

Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

256 GB Crucial M4 SSD

[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]

Several general questions about the process have not been asked and after some googling and youtubing i'm not entirely satisfied with what i've seen so far so i'm here to ask the expert community on how to do a basic bios flash.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]1. My first question is what utility to use? nvflash or flashit. Judging from softpedia, flashit reviews are higher and seems to satsify the majority of the users who've downloaded and used it.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]2. My second question involves the actual process. I have a patriot 16 gb usb thumbdrive.

a.) Will it need to be formatted to FAT32 or is NTFS compatible?

b.) Second will i need to make a folder inside my drive with the ROM/.FD file with the flashing utility as well?

c.) Will the process be affected if there are other files on the drive.

d.) I will need to boot from the drive (set the priority to first) as well correct?

e.) What commands will i need to input in order to execute the flashing?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Finally, i have a couple of questions regarding the history of my BIOS and the possible outcomes with these settings.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]I changed to AHCI mode and have changed no other settings in BIOS. Will I need to select defaults? Will this complicate the flashing process (cause a crash or freeze)?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Will I need to select set to defaults under all sections or just once to flash successfully?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]If my pc is set to AHCI and setting my defaults back to RAID, what If I crash and can't load windows?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Does my voltage sync adaptively with my core clocking or will I need to adjust it manually?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]---[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]If anyone can please list a numbered step by step easy DIY tutorial on the process as detailed as possible that will reduce the risk of bricking as well as answering all of my questions, it would be extremely helpful.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Thanks guys, hope to hear from someone soon.

source: [url=http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280652-29-help-flashing-bios-unlock-vbios#t2019876]Flashing Bios to Unlock vBios [H] - Chipsets-Bios - Overclocking[/url][/FONT]

1. I'd use nvflash because that's the one I'm familiar with.

2. That'll work fine.

a. FAT32.

b. no, just put everything in the thumbdrive without any folder, you could have a folder with backup bios on the thumbdrive.

c. no, as long as the files have separate names and is put in separate folders.

d. Yes, this is important if you need to make a blindflash if anything goes wrong.

e. c: then press enter, dir then press enter, then the name of your batchfile and enter.

Prior to flashing always make sure you have a backup of your BIOS and set the pen-drive ass boot option 1!

If you don't use raid setup and it's set to raid after the flashing you'll need to enter bios before startup to change to ahci, if not you might mes supp your windows installation.

I suppose you want to flash your vBIOS and not your BIOS?

• Thumbs Up 1