Change GPU fan profile on Clevo X7200

sirana

Hey guys,

I have a very annoying problem: My auto fan profile lets the GPU fan kick in at 77°C.

It was never an issue, just now with Windows 10 and every W10 driver (356.62++) every time my GPU hits 76°C it automatically decreases utilization (to about 40-60%) instead of running up to 77°C when the fan would kick in. Note that the clocks are completely fine, it is no traditional throttling where clocks go up and down.

When I roll back to the old (Win7/8) driver 347.88 this problem disappears, but games like Witcher 3 suffer from the missing optimisations.

I tried desperately to manually set my fan to start 100% at ~74°C, but my no software I tried (SpeedControl, HW64, MSI Afterburner, Nvidia Inspector) let's me do it. I even tried setting a temperature target of 74°C in Nvidia Inspector, but it doesn't apply, it just always jumps back to the default value (which is 87°C, lol).

I'm quite desperate as it affects EVERY game. The only solution for me now is to use the pre-W10 driver.

My question for you is, how can I get my GPU fan to automatically start to run at 100% when 74°C are reached? I really need to avoid hitting FN+F1 to start MAX FAN mode.

Or how else can I fix this problem?

I use the latest available BIOS for my x7200, and run GTX 680M's with SVL7's mod (overclocking01, no overvolt).

• 1 month later...

Update, the same problem still persists with 361.43 WHQL. I hoped maybe the new branch would fix it, but it did not.

Does anyone know a solution, maybe @Prema , @svl7 or @Klem

Short summary, my 680M throttles utilization when it hits 76°C under Windows 10 + W10 drivers.