Speculation/Rumor: HM67 not Ivy compatible

kune

According to this 3 month old article (original source here), the HM67 chipset will not support Ivy Bridge CPUs. The Chinese site goes on to say that your mobo needs ME8 firmware to be compatible.

I haven't noticed any mention of this article as of yet, but was away from the interwebs for a few months so forgive my ignorance if this is old.

Any opinions?

Edit: It seems Gigabyte is already rolling out Ivy compatibility updates for their desktop mobos

Edited by kune
  • Thumbs Up 1

A hardware engineer who apparently works for Dell said on an other forum that the Ivy Chipset will support Sandy Bridge CPUs (which will improve the performance of them by up to 10%), but not vice versa, at least not for mobile chipsets. I don't know about desktop hardware...

That's only what I heard, can't say this is 100% true, but a lot of things this guy said in the past turned out to be true.

I think it's possible that even though the new chipset will be able to support the Sandy Bridge CPUs, Intel may decide to use a different socket to boost the sales of the newer CPUs... well, the coming months will bring us more information.

• 1 month later...