In a pinch for time, so can't write very much.

PE4L is better, due to lower price. Both PE4L 2.1 and PE4H 3.2 have 1.2 Opt support.

1. Both will work, PE4L and PE4H are basically like the PCI slot on a desktop motherboard - you plug GPU into this, and connect other components to the PE4L/PE4H

2. Yes, as stated above, boith PE4L and PE4H will work. PE4L 2.1 or PE4H 3.2, PE4L is recommended due to lower price

3. Yes

hope someone else can re-address your questions and explain better. Just wanted to give you quick answers to you have a general idea.

PE4L 2.1b and PE4H 3.2 will both work on pci-e 2.0 speed.

An updated version of the PE4H 2.4 with pcie 2.0 speed compatibility was released, but it seems it will not work on pci-e 2.0 speed, as someone tested it on this forum.

Tech Inferno Fan comment: Bplus have subsequently removed all references to pci-e 2.0 compatibility from their PE4H 2.4 and PE4L 1.5 page upon us discovering and alerting them it can't reliably operate at that speed.

Short summary: only PE4L 2.1 and PE4H 3.2 are pci-e 2.0 compatible. Both use a cable soldered on both ends. Any product that uses a cable with a mHDMI connector on one or both ends (PE4L 1.5, PE4H 2.4) will fail pci-e 2.0 transmission.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I am a newbie. I am planing to make an eGPU for my Thinkpad X230 Tablet.

I am considering between PE4H between PE4L. I know that PE4L in PCI x1 but PE4H is PCI x16. If I connect 16x PCI express GPU to PE4L, does it affect the performance? I know that 16x has more bandwidth than 1x.

Between PE4H and PE4L, what version should I buy? Why

I bought this graphic card: Shapphire Randeon HD 7950, which is PCI 3.0. Does it compatible with the system I am about to make? (Thinkpad X230 tablet, PE4L ver 2.1b)? Will I experience the bottleneck with the system?

Thank you.

You would be much better with an Nvidia card as this allows Optimus and PCIe compression.

Both the PE4L and PE4H only support PCI 2.0, so the fact the card is 3.0 compatible makes no difference.

To use the 16x, you need a system with 16 1x ports, which the X230T does not have.

The 660Ti + PE4L v2.1b would be the best combination for you.

• 2 months later...

I still don't fully understand this what makes the PE4H 3.2 worth more than the PE4L 2.1b.

On the PE4H 2.4, there were 4 HDMI sockets to allow PCIE up to x4.

On version 3.2, the cable is soldered onto the board, no additional PCIE connections can be made. Doesn't that limit it to a x1 connection?

What's the point of having a longer socket and all those extra components on the PE4H PCB?

I still don't fully understand this what makes the PE4H 3.2 worth more than the PE4L 2.1b.

On the PE4H 2.4, there were 4 HDMI sockets to allow PCIE up to x4.

On version 3.2, the cable is soldered onto the board, no additional PCIE connections can be made. Doesn't that limit it to a x1 connection?

What's the point of having a longer socket and all those extra components on the PE4H PCB?

PE4H 2.4 can theoretically do a PCIe 1.1 x4 connection if you had 4ports on your laptop to connect to. (You'll be lucky to have 2). There is no point it having an x16 slot instead of an x4.

PE4L (2.1) can do a PCIe 2.0 x1 connection (equivalent to a PCIe 1.1 x2). So it doesn't even need the x4 slot on its board...

IIRC nvidia optimus only works with a x1 so unless you have a older laptop and need the extra ports of a PE4H, you should get a PE4L.

The PE4H isn't worth more, but it does cost more probably due to the extra components.

PE4H 2.4 can theoretically do a PCIe 1.1 x4 connection if you had 4ports on your laptop to connect to. (You'll be lucky to have 2). There is no point it having an x16 slot instead of an x4.

PE4L (2.1) can do a PCIe 2.0 x1 connection (equivalent to a PCIe 1.1 x2). So it doesn't even need the x4 slot on its board...

IIRC nvidia optimus only works with a x1 so unless you have a older laptop and need the extra ports of a PE4H, you should get a PE4L.

The PE4H isn't worth more, but it does cost more probably due to the extra components.

Yes, the fact that the PE4H is more expensive makes it extremely misleading. Generally when it comes to purchasing components people are led to believe that the more expensive products have to offer. While this is the case (larger board, more potential connections, etc.) the PE4H v2.4 is NOT better than the PE4L 2.1.

Just wanted to remind you that you should not consider the PE4H, unless you wanted the large case that it comes with. The PE4L is a much better deal, as you get more performance and also freedom to build a case for yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Note that a gen2 2.0 (5GB/sec) config with adapter pe4l and pe4h 3.2 only works on series 6 or older chipsets. If you have an older chipset than series 6 your chipset will only support gen1 1.0 bandwith (2GB/s) so keep an eye on that!

• 1 month later...
mSATA slot has SATA pins 23,25,31,33 rather than pci-e pins as is required for eGPU use. Your only choice then to connect an eGPU is via the wifi slot which is definitely pci-e.

The BPlus PM3N has markings to show where to cut to make it a half-sized card to fit your half-sized wifi slot. If require concurrent wifi along with the eGPU then consider a USB dongle OR you might get lucky and have USB pins (36,38) connected to the mSATA slot, without any bios whitelisting, so could use an internal US$6 USB mPCIe wifi card.

If the wifi slot has USB pins connected AND it's not whitelisted then consider using the PE4H/PE4L's USB port to host your external wifi when internal wifi slot is being used for eGPU purposes.

A DV4-3xxx DIY eGPU implementation would be most welcome. I believe HP sold quite a few of those units. Still recommend a NVidia solution over AMD for better performance on a x1 link and superior driver features, including the NVidia Optimus.

2. PE4L v2.1 with PM060A that already has a half mPCIe -> former Wi-Fi slot (half mPCIe), mSATA for Wi-FI (if it works, or else USB on PE4L)

Is the way to go. There you'll get Gen2 (pci-e 2.0 / 5Gbps) performance. PE4L 1.5 is only Gen1 compatible (2.5Gbps).

The HP supplied wifi card will not work in the mSATA slot. The mPCIe-USB wifi card uses USB pins so might work in the mSATA slot, depending on if it has the USB pins wired AND they are not whitelisted. You might want to take a close look at the circuit to see if there are tracks leading to the mSATA port's USB pins 36 and 38 to at least ensure it's wired before buying that mPCIe-USB wifi card.

One way of definitely getting concurrent wifi is via a USB wifi dongle. Plugging it using a USB port on rear/sides of the machine will work 100%. You may get lucky and find that dongle works on the PE4L 2.1b USB port too. That too will depend on the wifi mPCIe slot's USB pins (usually used for WWAN) are wired AND non-whitelisted. Suggest also check it's pin 36 and 38 for leading tracks.

Use the table below noting the mechanical key as a reference when looking at tracks leading from pin 36 and 38 (USB). One other note: I've seen HP sometimes wire those USB pins but there are bridges near the slot that require a 0ohm SMT resistor soldered to complete the circuit as was the case in a HP DV4-2000.

@Tech Inferno Fan, ty for the explaination, got it.

This laptop's a pain to disassemble :nonchalance: , screw holes on the bottom part of chassis are fully plastic and they stop mounting after some time if the user screws it too tightly (note I'll like to put to other users attempting this on HP mainstream consumer laptops). I'll take a closer look probably later or so. :)

Mikjoa presented an innovative solution at [url]http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2158-diy-egpu-guide-sony-vaio-vpc-z2-svz13.html#post27918[/url] for his system which also had no door panels to access the wifi slot. He created an access door with protective sliding cover as captured below:

• 7 months later...