Which curved ultra-wide display for rMBP eGPU (TB vs non-TB)?

I thought given that curved ultra-wides are latest and greatest they may deserve their own thread..

I have rMBP with 750M and now choosing a monitor for eGPU. I am choosing between Dell U3415W and LG 34U97C

I was leaning towards Dell until I realized LG has Thunderbolt port. No idea if it's beneficial or not.

So in terms of being eGPU-friendly which one is better?

Dell has:

1 HDMI(vr2.0) connector

1 MHL connector

1 Mini DisplayPort

1 DisplayPort (version 1.2)

1 DisplayPort out (MST)

1 Audio Line out5

4 USB 3.0 ports - Downstream (4 at the back)

2 USB 3.0 port - Upstream

LG has:

2 HDMI™

1 Headphone Out

1 Display Port

2 ThunderBolt

If it matters for eGPU I am planning to get AkiTio with GeForce GTX 980.

I doubt that you will be able to connect a TB Display to the MB and get eGPU performance in OSX.

That might work in Windows but is complicated because of the 750m.

Do you really need 3D performance in OSX?

I have my display directly connected to the MB for OSX (without eGPU).

For Windows I have the Display connected to the eGPU too. So that display has 2 active connections in Windows (eGPU and miniDP from the MB), but I disabled the 2nd one.

Bottomline is, I have eGPU performance on the external screen in Windows and non eGPU performance in OSX on one display.

Thank you @Dschijn regarding 3D on OSX - that would be nice to have actually for some rendering stuff for example - I occasionally do 3D-intensive applications and really hate Win interface for work. Two question

1) If I go for a miniDp-only monitor (LG) will I be able to get eGPU on OSX?

2) What is the actual benefit of TB display in this eGPU scenario?

Thank you!

You need to differentiate what kind of 3D performance you need.

If you want games to run you must use an display directly connected to the eGPU (Thunderbolt is not an option).

If you can assign a GPU to the program (like in the program settings) you can use any display directly conencted to the Mac.

For the best OSX compatibility you should consider a GTX 780, 780Ti, Titan, Titan Black, Titan Z.

GTX 980 or 970 ar not really working with 2014 MBP.

In this forum there has been the idea that 2014 15" MBPr are yet not working with GTX 9X0 cards in OSX.

For example I couldn't get my setup working in OSX at all, as well as other users.

Yes, there are working setups with a GTX 9X0 card in OSX, but that are not 2014 MBPr.

Edit: Maybe I am wrong. Please follow this thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7910-diy-egpu-macbook-experiences-36.html