rossfrederick

How often Do you Boot To Black Screen  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How often Do you Boot To Black Screen

• Never (always boots fine)
    • 25% of the time
    • 50% of the time
    • 75% of the time

Which systems/hardware are you targetting with your poll? eg: Macbook? At the moment it's very generic to which I'd expect you'd have limited response.

Consider, it's a common issue for EC/mPCIe implementations to boot to a black screen due to BIOS not knowing what to do when it sees a eGPU. Hence why BPlus PE4C and EXP GDC Beast have assertion delay timer switches so the bios doesn't see the eGPU on bootup.

eg: would EC/mPCIe users need a poll to bring attention to an issue already covered by their eGPU adapter manufacturer? Not imho.

• 1 month later...

It happens pretty often for me on both my laptop with an external GPU and my desktop (HD 5850). It's really annoying and drives me crazy. Mostly happens right after I make some changes on my laptop and my desktop later matches it because of the whole Windows 8 sync thing. Just boots and sticks to a black screen and I have to forcefully reboot in order to get past it. Probably should look into that or do a fresh install.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am running on a TB Display and after trying everything I have figured out that turning the eGPU on for like 3-5 minutes before booting helps. Without it I am like 4 out of 10 black screens with "waiting" I get like 0-1 out of 10!!! Waiting for confirmation by anyone!!!

As I noted in my Mini 2014 Guide, I have found that paying attention to an order of things helps a lot. Sometimes the Mini will boot right into Windows on eGPU but most times I need to do a specific set of things in a specific order.

Very old school but sometimes it is good to keep a pen and paper handy. Keep track of the things you did that led to a good boot. Also keep track of the things you do that NEVER work. If I REALLY want to be sure I can start running Far Cry 4 on the Mini I do this:

1. Connect display to HDMI port on Mini, leave TB disconnected.

2. Hit power button, as soon as boot chime sounds, connect the TB cable.

This will almost always work. But just leaving TB in will almost NEVER work. I think for many people there is probably a "best practices" method that can be figured out and lead to better success rates.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
It happens pretty often for me on both my laptop with an external GPU and my desktop (HD 5850). It's really annoying and drives me crazy. Mostly happens right after I make some changes on my laptop and my desktop later matches it because of the whole Windows 8 sync thing. Just boots and sticks to a black screen and I have to forcefully reboot in order to get past it. Probably should look into that or do a fresh install.

There could be an easy fix for this. See the post below (please ignore it's posted by HP, this works for any computer with Windows 8):

HP PCs - Black or blank screen with blinking cursor after entering Windows password | HP®*Support

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.