Upcoming Intel Skylake good for eGPU?

davide445

Shift my post here due the more general topic.

Reading about upcoming Intel architecture happen to notice the emphasis about wireless connectivity with peripheral.

Is planned to use WiGig (IEEE 802.11ad) standard, that contains Display (WiGig WDE), Bus (WBE) and Serial (WSE) Extensions.

WBE is focused on providing up to 4.7 Gbps low latency wireless access to PCIe bus, so in theory good (even if not perfect due to bandwith restriction, similar to EC) to avoid current (and probably future also) lack of TB port in standard laptop.

My concerns are:

- reading various presentations appear Intel focus is more on WDE, so maybe there will be not a widespread of WBE enabled laptop

- in my understanding extensions will be implemented on hardware to lower power draw, so will be up to OEM to push it inside laptop

- still maybe using mPCIe expansion cards (I didn't find a way to know how common are the slot in current laptop) will be possible to add WBE to standard laptop, avoiding the hassle of current eGPU cabling using this interface

- there was an early WBE implementation with Dell Latitude 6430u laptop and his wireless docking station, that apparently was plagued with many problems, need to see if these will be resolved in upcoming implementations

- world leader in WiGig silicon production is Wilocity, acquired by Qualcomm in July 2014, can't find in Qualcomm products info about the availability of tri-band chips to enable third party laptop

- all of that is coming late 2015 and probably with availability 2016, so we need to wait

What so you think about? Maybe someone does have better informations to share.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.