15" Lenovo T540p + R9_280x@4Gbps-EC2 (PE4C 2.1) + Win7 [Antraz]

Antraz

I don't know if the adapter can be powered via the single 20/24pin ATX cable. I think you need to connect the 12V ATX cabels (4pin or 8 pin or DC-Jack) to power the adapter. I even power the adapter only with the 4 Pin ATX cable and disconnected the 24pin cable, because I have problems with the auto power off function, when disconnecting the EC-cable. So I shortet pins 13 & 14 (PS_ON & GND) on the 24pin connector of the PSU and the adapter & GPU is powered all the time. This is the only way to get a stable connection to my eGPU and it works good! I had the same problem with my faulty EXP GDC adapter. Maybe the Lenovo Notebook doesn't like the auto power on/off function?

My results with Lenovo T540p (i7-4700MQ) + AMD R9 280X:

3dmark 06: 26210

3dmark Vantage: 28241

3dmark 11: 8604, gpu: 9437

3dmark 13.FS: 6373, gpu: 7199

Hi @ all,

after reading a lot as a guest, I decided to register to this forum and explain my experience.

@Petrroll:

I also bought an EXP GDC V6.0 and nothing worked for me! I also own a Lenovo Thinkpad T540p and had Problems with the detection of my eGPU. My first adapter didn't work at all, so I talked to herocloud and got a second EXP GDC (this time V7.0)!

At first I had again problems and no eGPU was found! I tried both EC-cables and also pushed the cable and connector into different directions. Nothing happened! I also tried different power supplies (220W Dell and 500W ATX PSU). Same problem!

I was wondering about the automatic power switch off after disconnecting the cable. So I shortet the Pins 13 & 14 (PS_ON signal) of the 24pin ATX connector and the eGPU was powered all the time with the ATX PSU! Now my eGPU (AMD R9 280X) was found, but in Windows I had again problems with the connection. I could install the driver but the connection got lost ==> blue screen. I didn't receive any stable connection to my eGPU. I also thougth like you maybe my EC-slot is defect. I also tried an old nvidia 9800 GT with the same bad connection. I think the adapters or cables are defect and cannot hold the connection alive. I was really sad. After talking again to herocloud, he refunded the money for the adapter.

This time I bought the PE4C V2.1 and everything is working fine! I've got a stable x1.2 connection! But again I have problems with the automatic powering of the adapter! With the auto power function activated, I didn't get a connection to my eGPU! After shorting again the 2 pins of the 24pin ATX connector the eGPU was found and everthing worked fine! Maybe this is a problem of the Lenovo T/Lx40 series? Could you please check this for you? I hope this will help you.

I don't know if the adapter can be powered via the single 20/24pin ATX cable. I think you need to connect the 12V ATX cabels (4pin or 8 pin or DC-Jack) to power the adapter. I even power the adapter only with the 4 Pin ATX cable and disconnected the 24pin cable, because I have problems with the auto power off function, when disconnecting the EC-cable. So I shortet pins 13 & 14 (PS_ON & GND) on the 24pin connector of the PSU and the adapter & GPU is powered all the time. This is the only way to get a stable connection to my eGPU and it works good! I had the same problem with my faulty EXP GDC adapter. Maybe the Lenovo Notebook doesn't like the auto power on/off function?

My results with Lenovo T540p (i7-4700MQ) + AMD R9 280X:

3dmark 06: 26210

3dmark Vantage: 28241

3dmark 11: 8604, gpu: 9437

3dmark 13.FS: 6373, gpu: 7199

Thank you. Yours is the first Lenovo T540p eGPU implementation we've seen.

Did you want to create a guide of how you attached it all together for others to have confidence in doing the same? Sample guides are in Implementation Guides.

I'll mention too that your 3dmark11 physics (CPU) score of 6865 is lower than I was expecting. You could undervolt the CPU and maybe even unlock an extra 200Mhz (3.4Ghz 4-core) like was done at http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html . I'd expect you'd see a physics score over 8000 if doing that.

• 3 years later...

Hey there,

I'm planning on running a pe4C v3.0 with my t540p but I need informations before going into the process again (long time ago I made similar setup with a t400).

Does the dgpu gt730m in my laptop will prevent me from succeeding ? In the bpplus datasheet, the t540p with dgpu is listed as compatible.

Antraz, what is your own t540p config ? Dgpu or not ? 

Bests