2013 15" MBP Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10 [Evo*]

Evo*

[WIP/Guide] 2013 15" Macbook Pro Iris + GTX970 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1 - OSX 10.10

System Specs

• MacBook Pro Retina 15” (Late 2013)
  • i7-4750HQ 2.0Ghz i7 quad-core CPU
  • 8GB Ram
  • 512GB SSD
  • Integrated Iris Pro Graphics 5200

Components

• AKiTiO Thunder2 PCI Enclosure
  • Powered x16 to x16 Riser/Extender Cable with Molex
  • Corsair RM650 Gold PSU
  • 3m OWC Thunderbolt Cable
  • EVGA Geforce GTX970 FTW 4GB
  • Silverstone SG05-Lite ATX Case

Windows 8.1 Setup (Requires EXT Display for initial Driver install.)

1. All Hardware/Components Connected Together (PSU - GPU Installed - TB Cable Connected - Ext Display Connected etc...)
  2. Power ON PSU
  3. Power on MacBook (Windows Default Boot Selection) - Windows will Boot to External Display
  4. Install Nvidia Latest Drivers and Restart when prompted after driver install.
  5. Windows will now boot with External Display on every boot/reboot with the eGPU (Integrated Graphics will be Disabled on Boot automatically.

Windows 8.1 Optimus + Internal Display Procedure - See http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html#post110757

Optional Recommended Steps/Fixes

Physx Settings.

• Open NVidia Control Panel
  • Configure Surround / Physx
  • Tick the Box to Dedicate the "eGPU" to Physx Processing and Apply Settings.

Core Parking Settings.

• REGEDIT
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583
  • Set 0 in ValueMax
  • Set 0 in Attributes
  • Open the Power Plan "Advanced" Options > Under Section "Processor Power Management" >Processor Performance Core Parking min Cores
  • Set Battery/Plugged to 100%

Network/Wifi Issues

[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]1. Right click start icon > Open Command Prompt Admin[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]2. Type "chkdsk /F C:" without the quotes (or change C: to the windows partition letter)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]3. Select 'yes' (y) if it asks to check on next startup.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=arial]4. Restart[/FONT][/SIZE]

ThrottleStop

I Managed to reduce my Temperature down to 60 Degrees Celcius whilst playing my games at peak perfmance by adjusting settings in Throttlestop. Healthy Balance of Max Turbo State and Reducing the Voltage Offset whilst keeping peak performance in my Games.

Windows 10 Experience.

Windows 10 is a huge step up for Gaming from my viewpoint. the difference from 8.1 to 10 in FPS in FFXIV is Win8.1 (50FPS) vs Win10 (60FPS) the Game feels very fluidly and more responsive.

I was able to Install Windows 10 the same way natively using OS X Boot Camp Assistant and the Default stock Bootcamp drivers for 8.1 (Just run the Boot Camp Assistant to create a USB Install using the Windows 10 iso.)

• Thumbs Up 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Evo! Thank you for your guid!

I had already enable the Iris Pro 5200 of my laptop. My model is late 2013 mbp retina with dGPU 750M.

And could you please find a way to disable the dGPU 750M? If so, I could use Optimus + Internal Display!

I know using Internal Display could cause lower performance, but I'd like to have a try!

Thanks!

Ps: You can try any commands on my laptop! I will show u the result!

Awesome guide! Helped me a lot with my replaced graphics card and the new setup system! Had to do the GRUB fix :)

Edit:

Unfortunately I can't get any screen detected in OSX… the card is installed an listed but no display (DVI or HDMI) is recognized.

Any ideas?

Awesome guide! Helped me a lot with my replaced graphics card and the new setup system! Had to do the GRUB fix :)

Edit:

Unfortunately I can't get any screen detected in OSX… the card is installed an listed but no display (DVI or HDMI) is recognized.

Any ideas?

excellent! glad to help. what did you change the root disk to out of interest?

in os x does it show the kext is loaded from system info? if not it will show (no kext loaded)

i had a similar problem. and i redid all the steps for the os x guide and got it working again.

I am currently unable to do any testing as i have returned my thunder2 box. due to a problem. and should get a replacement from support asap. (fyi the support is fantastic from these guys)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, Evo! Thank you for your guid!

I had already enable the Iris Pro 5200 of my laptop. My model is late 2013 mbp retina with dGPU 750M.

And could you please find a way to disable the dGPU 750M? If so, I could use Optimus + Internal Display!

I know using Internal Display could cause lower performance, but I'd like to have a try!

Thanks!

Ps: You can try any commands on my laptop! I will show u the result!

Hi! maybe give this a read. and you maybe able to figure out if the setpci commands work for your system. i unfortunately do not have a dGPU to test.

start reading from near the bottom onwards https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2770866?start=45&tstart=0

Had to change it to (hd2,gpt1). Will not do the OSX testing on my SSD in the 15" (2014, Iris only)… Will try it on a test partition on an external drive.

On my 13" (late 2013) the GPU is deteced now and I will do some testing now, maybe use that "test drive" on the 15".

in os x does it show the kext is loaded from system info? if not it will show (no kext loaded)

i had a similar problem. and i redid all the steps for the os x guide and got it working again.

Yeah right. Got it working, rebooted and kext files are not loaded anymore…

• 2 weeks later...

Added my Throttle Stop settings. which reduced my CPU temps from 80+ to 58-60 Constant Degrees Celcius. Whilst keeping full performance in my Games. (Adjust Accordingly to suit your needs)

I now have the 15rmpb and sold my 13". A huge performance increase is had.

If Screen Brightness is not working. i found a fix. its not ideal but it works. have power settings set so the mac does not sleep with the lid closed. then literally close wait a second open the lid and brightness resets and performs again.

I now run a EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB OCed +60GPU +400Mem running at 50-60Degrees @ 45-60FPS with Optimus Mode (Game Absolute MAX Settings + Gedosato (7680x4800@60) Downsampling + Forced Sparced AA x8 and SweetFX. FFXIV looks Stunning.

ThrottleStop

I Managed to reduce my Temperature down to 60 Degrees Celcius whilst playing my games at peak perfmance by adjusting settings in Throttlestop.

Disable C1E (Uncheck)

TPL Settings.

Package Power Limit Long =28 / Short = 18

Check Intel Power Balance > CPU=0 / GPU=31

Your throttlestop settings have limited your 47W i7-4750HQ 2.0Ghz CPU to 28W, castrating it's performance. With that decreased TDP you have the associated temp decreases.

I'd suggest you consider the following instead to decrease TDP while increase performance:

- within Throttlestop, reverse your Intel Power Balance setting to favor package TDP for the CPU instead of iGPU. Ie: CPU=31, GPU=0.

- use Throttlestop 7.0 Beta3 TPL section to undervolt the CPU by -80mV (or even more) to decrease temps. Can see how undervolting can be used to increase performance at http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html#post95181 . If need further temperature reduction then within Throttlestop limit the i7-4750HQ's 4-core highest multi (x30) to say x29 or x28 to.

Once you've applied these, would you mind adding 3dmark06, 3dmark11 and 3dmark13 benchmarks to your opening post? I can then add you to the appropriate place in the leaderboard at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html

ah brilliant! i was not to sure what i was doing to be honest. but wanted to get my temps down. i will try them settings out and the benchmarks when i get a chance. thanks for the guidance.

also just to note. the powered riser is not required with my EVGA GTX970 FTW. nor does the Thunder2 unit require a power source. it seems that the 2x6 pin pci-e power cables that plug into the top of my graphics card actually power the whole rig. and i have noticed my setup turns off on shutdown and starts on power up. where as before with my gtx760 the fans would spin until the psu was manually switched off.

ah brilliant! i was not to sure what i was doing to be honest. but wanted to get my temps down. i will try them settings out and the benchmarks when i get a chance. thanks for the guidance.

also just to note. the powered riser is not required with my EVGA GTX970 FTW. nor does the Thunder2 unit require a power source. it seems that the 2x6 pin pci-e power cables that plug into the top of my graphics card actually power the whole rig. and i have noticed my setup turns off on shutdown and starts on power up. where as before with my gtx760 the fans would spin until the psu was manually switched off.

wow is this true? So you can connect the EVGA directly to the akitio, with only the 2x6 pin powering it? That's amazing if that's the case.

Do you think this will work with the normal gtx 970 from evga? Or only FTW?

And what psu do you have?

wow is this true? So you can connect the EVGA directly to the akitio, with only the 2x6 pin powering it? That's amazing if that's the case.

Do you think this will work with the normal gtx 970 from evga? Or only FTW?

And what psu do you have?

Unfortunately after further testing this is not true. initially you need to use power from a riser or the dc jack. then you can disconnect the power source once its booted up. the unit will remain powered until the PSU is turned off... I could restart and shutdown fine without the riser. but if i turned the psu off/power trip then i would need a power source to start the unit up again. sorry for the confusion. i never turn the psu off normally. but i wanted to check just to clarify.

I just completed this setup with the same 15" rMBP Iris Pro (i7-4750HQ) and Zotac 970 with the help of your guide. Thanks for posting.

I'm actually glad my previously planned Asus G46vw Thunderbolt mobo upgrade didn't work out, because it let me find Apple's awesome refurbished offer, plus no more TB1. This is a helluva machine, and the ultimate eGPU system with 2xThunderbolt 2, and with that 1800p screen! Main downsides are non upgradeable CPU, and cooling isn't an issue (which it is for many) since we aren't using internal graphics. Hell, I may even use it with SLI eventually.

How consistently does Optimus boot work for you? Are you turning it on before startup or at the boot menu? With my Zotac, I have to restart twice, and the second time occasionally fails for some reason, meaning 4x restarts to get Optimus going. tIt happens about 1 in 10 times, so not really much of a problem, but I might as well try to figure out why. I'm starting it up at the boot menu. I'm also on a standard Bootcamp setup of 8.1.

Other than that, everything works perfectly fine for me, and the reference Zotac 970 gets a solid +210 core +110 memory overlock, while even boosting further past its stated limit.

Hi, Evo*! Thank you very much for your contribution! Without you I probably would have never got eGPU working concurrently with internal screen. However, I have a few issues.

Macbook keyboard and trackpad don`t work with your modified EFI partition (except for power button). External keyboard and mouse work fine along with Internal (with hd5000) and external screens (with eGPU). Since you use "apple_set_os" parameter, it might make macbook keyboard and trackpad not working in windows, because macbook thinks that it boots osx and it loads os x drivers for keyboard and trackpad. Is there any way to fix that?

Thank you

My setup:

MBA 13-inch mid 2013

ASUS gtx 760

EVGA PSU 500W

Windows 8.1

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2013 15" MBP Iris + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10 [Evo*]