12" Lenovo X220 + HD7950@4Gbps-EC2 (PE4C 2.0) + Win7 [davide445]

I think it's time to publish my official scores since the system it's pretty stable.

System: 12" Lenovo X220

CPU: i5 2520M 2.5

RAM: 8GB

eGPU: [email protected]

Adapter: PE4C V2.0

Ports: QM67 EC2

3dmk11.gpu: 7656 (AMD Radeon HD 7950 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,LENOVO 429137G)

vant.gpu: 24255 (AMD Radeon HD 7950 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,LENOVO 429137G)

3dm6: 15585 (AMD Radeon HD 7950 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-2520M Processor,LENOVO 429137G)

Cinebench R15 OpenGL: 63,46 fps

Indigo Renderer (3.6.28, 3min Erotica test scene, PT, samples): CPU only: 242.72/pixel, 891k/s, +eGPU: 311.99/pixel, 1145k/s

Indigo Renderer (4.0.30 3min McLaren test scene, PT, samples): CPU 0.265 Mil pix/sec, pure GPU: 2.259 Mil pix/sec

HitFilm 3 Pro (3.0.3521, Sun test scene rendering min): iGPU 47:38, eGPU 3:09

Unreal Engine: <acronym title="To be discussed">TBD</acronym>

Edited by davide445
  • Thumbs Up 3

hi guys, just got my exp gdc v7.0 but somehow i cant get it to detect my gpu :< any tips?

:) my experience was exactly the same (using PE4C) and the solution was in the sequence: need to wait the laptop was up and running and only after connect the (already powered) eGPU.

The laptop then recognized a new device, search and install drivers. After that you can install vendor specific drivers for your GPU, and in my case was asked for reboot.

If you have already installed vendor drivers uninstall it and wait the system has installed his drivers.

If all is ok next time you need to boot always with eGPU already connected and powered.

Also pay attention to set your external display as primary if you want benchmark and app can experience the new hw acceleration.

Hope this help and your case is similar to mine.

• 2 weeks later...

DIY eGPU guide for graphics applications

Objective: work on FullHD video editing, color grading, 3D modelling, VFX, realtime 3D engine sw on a 2011 sub-notebook Lenovo X220 with lowest possible costs

Precheck and software planning

- Check notebook can work without problems on eGPU http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#prepurchasefaq

In my case with 8GB RAM a TOLUD check is needed: Device Manager>View>Resouce by type>Memory and the first PCIe entry returned A0000 meaning 2.5GB < 3.25GB so no problems.

Also from hwinfo my X220 does have ExpressCard 2 5GBps interface, so can use x1.2 (x1 PECIe lane 2.0) connection

- Careful sw planning, searching for sw that work mostly on GPU and not on the weaker CPU.

Meaning DaVinci Resolve instead of i.e. Adobe Premiere for video editing, and GPU driven rendering sw instead of CPU driven i.e. Furryball vs VRay.

Also searching for the specific GPU features requested for the planned sw: games request for high frequency and many shaders, graphics sw request for huge VRAM and big data rate (big data bus)

- Find the right GPU. Using these sources

Best Graphics Cards For The Money: September 2014 - Best Graphics Cards For The Money, September Updates (best card for the money)

Graphics Card Performance Hierarchy Chart - Best Graphics Cards For The Money: September 2014 (to find equivalents AMD vs Nvidia vs Intel cards)

September 2014: Graphics Card Performance Per Dollar (performance per $)

PassMark Software - Video Card Benchmarks - High End Video Cards

also benchmarks for specific applications (i.e. Luxmark, Cinebench)

Normally after roughly $250 you receive less money for performance.

In my case considering the request for biggest possible VRAM and big data bus the best choice under $250 is 7950 Boost, since correspondent Nvidia GTX 670 does have normally 2GB vram and 256 bit bus vs 3GB and 384 bit and much lower double precision floating point performances.

With 225w TDP can be powered from power adapter provided with most eGPU set and didn't need an external ATX power supply.

- Recheck sw selection for right GPU acceleration

Having choosen an AMD GPU I can't use CUDA accelleration and need to look at OpenCL accellerated sw.

So ok Davinci Resolve for video editing, for VFX better Nuke 9 over Fusion or After Effects, Cinema 4D ok for 3D modelling and animation but need an external render since C4D did use only CPU, will be Indigo Render (still not 100% sure). Ok for Unreal Engine as realtime 3d graphics.

- Find right eGPU connector

This was the hardest part, since was really difficut for me to understand the differences among various options.

PE4C V2.0 does have x2 connection option and a updated design, with GPU holding, it's provided with a 230w power adapter with changable power cable (provided one it's for USA market, I'm in Europe).

Most important for me provide a 8pin-->2x(6+2)pin male male Y splitter, difficult to find otherwise and also give the flexibility to power on the GPU (7950 come in various options 6+6, 6+8, 8+8). Only drawback you didn't have a enclosure.

EXP GDC V6 it's quite similar but: the Y splitter come with 6pin-->6+6pin only and you have an enclosure as option, but acrylic one for v6, the metal it's only for V7.

- Bill of materials

a) GPU (Sapphire 7950 Boost) cost: 150 Euro

B) eGPU adapter (BPlus PE4C V2.0) cost 113 USD + 31 Euro customs duties

c) European power cable (to substitute USA style provided with BPlus eGPU) cost 13 Euro

d) External monitor (I already have one)

e) DVI --> VGA adapter (my monitor does have only VGA in) cost 6 Euro

f) added mSATA 240GB SSD replacing my 64GB previous one for 40 Euro RMA + 60 USD new costs

TOT: 338 Euro vs about 1000 Euro of a new PC

I can also maintain SSD and GPU for a new PC when I will build one.

- - - Updated - - -

Setup

1) build the eGPU setup connecting GPU and adapter + power cable

2) power up laptop

3) power up eGPU

4) connect to X220 trough ExpressCard adapter

5) laptop recognize the eGPU and install drivers

6) after that use amddriverdownloader to verify amd drivers, download and install it

7) reboot, leaving eGPU connected

8) extend display to external monitor

9) set external monitor as Primary using amd Control Center

10) to power off for safety I normally a) stop extending display B) remove eGPU using remove hardware

11) for powering up next time connect eGPU to laptop when both laptop and eGPU are off, power up eGPU and after power up laptop

Troubleshooting

- the first time I tried to install eGPU was not recognized from laptop. The secret it's the sequence: you need to connect it powered up with also laptop up and running.

- if you installed drivers before have the GPU properly running better uninstall it and have a clean installation using previous steps, otherwise will not work even following right process

- discovered a lot of artifacts (horizontal strings) on external display when eGPU is loaded. In my case (true problem can vary) the cause is DVI-VGA analog convesion. Using only digital connection on a test monitor (both HDMI or DVI-D) there are no artifacts.

- - - Updated - - -

Graphics related score

Cinebench R15 OpenGL: 63,46 fps

Indigo Renderer (3.6.28, 3min Erotica test scene, PT, samples): CPU: 242.72/pixel, 891k/s, +GPU: 311.99/pixel, 1145k/s

Unreal Engine: TBD

Interestingly in Resolve you can work also on internal display only (difficult on a 12" but can be for just setup and small things) since GPU is used as computational unit and iGPU for GUI.

On normal setup both eGPU and iGPU are active, rendering graphics on respective display (external and laptop).

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Davide,

which version of BIOS are you running? I also have X220 with 8 GB and on the desk Gigabyte 7950 (3 GB), so I hope it will work without any issue. Only thing is, that I wanted to upgrade from current 8 to 16 GB, because Photoshop is eating all my RAM, when editting RAW files. I will see if I pass the TOLUD issue with such configuration...

Hi Davide,

which version of BIOS are you running? I also have X220 with 8 GB and on the desk Gigabyte 7950 (3 GB), so I hope it will work without any issue. Only thing is, that I wanted to upgrade from current 8 to 16 GB, because Photoshop is eating all my RAM, when editting RAW files. I will see if I pass the TOLUD issue with such configuration...

hi Jakoob, didn't remember the version (1.36 or 1.38) but its the latest one I did check just last week.

Im also interested to upgrade RAM even if cost a bit, interested to know if your setup is working.

Where are you planning to buy the new RAM? On an international distributor or national one?

• 2 weeks later...

I found one slight issue and Im looking for solution. Right now the PE4C is capable of sending data over ExpressCard, Mini PCIe and PCIe. However, if I sell my laptop next year to get Broadwell, I will lose the ability to use this adapter. Do you think there is a possibility that PE4C V2.1 will work through Thunderbolt?

I found one slight issue and Im looking for solution. Right now the PE4C is capable of sending data over ExpressCard, Mini PCIe and PCIe. However, if I sell my laptop next year to get Broadwell, I will lose the ability to use this adapter. Do you think there is a possibility that PE4C V2.1 will work through Thunderbolt?

I don't think so since the circuitry it's different.

PE4C V2 and also V2.1 it's coming with EC, mPCIe and PCI-E adapters, if your new notebook is coming with one of these you can maybe change just the connector if BPlus is shipping it separately.

There are also EC to Thunderbolt adapters such as this one http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

but you will be limited to EC speed and also don't know if will work with another layer in the middle.

They used to have a specific Thunderbolt adapter named TH05, that was pulled from the market due to probably legal issues with Intel.

How is going your 16Gb RAM test?

Intel is really a pain in the lower part, because of all their restrictions regarding Thunderbolt... they doomed this technology by their stupid behaviour. Instead of supporting producers, they are banning them.

My 16GB test is on hold, because I need the PE4C first and right now I dont know, whether to buy it and next year "throw" it away, because I wont be able to use it on my new laptop. Since I doubt we will see ExpressCard ever again.

Btw Dell will have Alienware 13 with external GPU, yet this laptop is too much progaming oriented to me...

Intel is really a pain in the lower part, because of all their restrictions regarding Thunderbolt... they doomed this technology by their stupid behaviour. Instead of supporting producers, they are banning them.

My 16GB test is on hold, because I need the PE4C first and right now I dont know, whether to buy it and next year "throw" it away, because I wont be able to use it on my new laptop. Since I doubt we will see ExpressCard ever again.

Btw Dell will have Alienware 13 with external GPU, yet this laptop is too much progaming oriented to me...

EXP GDC for US$53-shipped is inexpensive. Can enjoy now and offload later: EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card - Banggood Mobile

Thanks Nando4, this seems to be pretty good deal. Finally someone offered reasonable price for shipment :)

Since my CPU is i5-2540M (second gen), I wont get any extra performance if I buy PE4C V2.1 instead, right?

EDIT:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-External-PCI-E-graphics-card-Expresscard-Set-ATX/1480989524.html

On aliexpress is written:

The input interface:

Mini PCI-E (WLAN\WWAN\DMC)

Expresscard (34#/54#)

NGFF (Slot A),

Thunderbolt

This might be game changer for me, however I didnt find the Thunderbolt version for sell, will look for more info tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I finally got EXP GDC V7, unfortunately I'm unable to get it to work. I connected Gigabyte AMD HD 7950 to Enermax ELT500AWT, started the X220 laptop and booted to freshly installed Windows 7. Then I downloaded latest Catalyst drivers (even beta), but during the driver installation the desktop disappears (just wallpaper remains) and then I get BSOD (atikmpag.sys).

I'm searching the forums, to see if anybody has similar issue, but it seems my problem is special. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The card was working for few days and then suddenly stopped, now it is showing error code 31 in device manager and as soon as I try to install AMD drivers, the screen goes black and that is the end. I tried countless combinations to get it to work again, but no luck. I have no clue what to do next, if anyone experienced similar issue and found solution, I would be grateful for sharing it.