Mini-itx setup

azertys

Hello,

I'm trying to use an eGPU in a mini-itx box that i've made recently but with no success. The setup is:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-TN: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-H87TN (rev. 1.0)

CPU: Intel I5-4570s

RAM: 8GB

eGPU: GTX 560-Ti

I've tried to connect this in two ways:

- With the internal PCI-E x4 slot. The GPU is recognised this way and windows boots, but after i install the driver and restart everything goes black. In device manager i only see the nvidia gpu, i think the intel hd is disabled by default. If i try to connect the gpu after windows has booted, it automatically shuts down. Doesn't work if i try sleep first either.

- I've also bought and EXP GDC v6, but this is even worse. After i connect everything, the screen just stays black, it won't boot at all no matter what i do. If i first boot it up and then connect the eGPU, it won't get recognised in windows.

My question is, will setup 1.x help me at all with this problem? Or i should give up on this little project?

Thanks in advance.

If you have a standard pci express port, even if this is 4x, then it should be simple.

Connect a gpu card, make sure it has power and that is it.

In specs it said the port can provide only 25W, basically you need external pci connectors to provide additional power.

If the port is closed, then you will need to use a modified riser to mount and eventually power the card and preserve only the data wires directly connected in the riser.

You can use this as an example:

2b9129e2f4486ae46ed8984189b22ae6.jpgafbc2cde3a49c1cef93480ed054c0814.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

Once you plug your GTX560Ti into the x4 slot, did you plug your LCD into the back of the GTX560Ti rather than using the systemboard HDMI connector? It would make sense that the bios disables the Intel HD graphics and uses the desktop video card instead as the primary device but of course you need a LCD plugged into it to get a picture.

Given your x4 slot is 25W only I'd suggest you consider attaching using powered riser to give it up to 75W as per PCIe 1.x standard.

It doesn't make sense to then connect to the x1 mPCIe slot using a EXP GDC V6. A x4 3.0 link gives much better bandwidth.

EDIT: Arise bet me to it RE: powered riser.

Thanks Arise for the reply. Already tried that solution, but as i've mentioned above everything goes black after installing the nvidia driver. I'm using an external PSU with a riser like in the picture to power up the gpu. Tried with an ATI card as well but the same happens, after installing the driver the screen goes black. It seems like the motherboard is not made to support an eGPU at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, the monitor is connected to the eGPU not the internal one and boots fine until the windows drivers are installed. I've tried a clean install, linux and even another ATI card but the same thing happens every time. Black screen after the drivers are installed.

Thanks Arise, you are right. I finally found the culprit, it was the pcie riser, tried with another one that isn't powered and works perfectly fine. I'm not sure if the riser is faulty or something else is amiss but seems fine without a powered riser. Wish i have written on this forum before making the stupid decision to buy an exp gdc board.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.