14" Lenovo L440 + Quadro K2000@4Gbps+c-EC2 (EXP GDC V6) + Win7 [Trace Light]

Implementation details emailed by user Trace Light. Thank you!

.. give me a couple weeks or so as I am on vacation and away from the computer. But here is a write-up for the process and some commentary. Once I come back and install new software on the machine I can send you some benchmark results. If you would like to post this and credit me then use my pseudonym "Trace Light" instead of my real name. Thanks!

Hardware and software used

Installation

Unfortunately, the adapter does not work with cold boot or plug and play with any of the boot configurations that I have tried. The following is the only solution I have found so far:

Boot Windows
    <br>
  • Hot Plug EXP GDC V6 and install NVidia driver. You will see a code 12 error in the device manager. The problem is this computer has a TOLUD=3.49GB. That leaves just over 0.5GB (512MB) to allocate all devices in 32-bit space. There simply is not enough 32-bit space to host the eGPU, hence the error 12. PCI compaction incorporating the iGPU+eGPU, with endpoint=3.87GB/4GB will never find a solution.
    <br>
  • Unplug EXP GDC V6 and apply DSDT Override: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D.html#post27316
    <br>
  • Install/activate Setup 1.30
    <br>
  • Shut down/restart (with EXP GDC V6 unplugged)
    <br>
  • Selection option "setup 1.30"
    <br>
  • At this point plug in adapter/EXP GDC V6 before entering next menu/phase
    <br>
  • Boot via startup.bat works after ensuring some settings in spoiler work:

+Enter menu-option mode.

+Under Chainloader.mode, set it MBR
    +PCI Compaction:
    -Change endpoint to be 56.25GB (36-bit).
    -Select closeunusedbridges
    -Run compact. Try scopes in order: eGPU, iGPU+eGPU, All except SATA, All scope. (NOTE: when I selected, there was a second option to force in 32-bit space. I selected "none" at this point" otherwise no solution will be found in the compaction.)
    +You will notice the "Allocation" description in the top right will no longer have the "Yes* (64....." but now will just be "Yes"
    +At this point you can go to Chainload -> Test Run and it should boot

Conclusion/notes

I had wi-fi and ethernet turned off on first successful boot. It seemed like if the ethernet port or too many usb ports were being used the initial monitor(s) would not turn on. After changing the screen resolution to only use the eGPU and turn off the screen on the laptop side, I could use my ports freely. The Quadro K2000 supports multiple monitors and that seems to work. Also, my USB hub is not respondent with multiple input devices (Mouse + Keyboard), so I had to plug them into separate ports. Not sure if it is my hub, but it is something to note. The EXP GDC V6 includes an additional USB hub via ExpressCard, but again I was only able to use a single input device.

This was one of the cheapest laptops that still had an available i7 true quad core (versus the mobile i7 that are only dual cores) as well as an ExpressCard port to use (as this port is becoming a rarity among the newer generation of laptops). This is the best solution for my workstation graphics demand without sacrificing the mobility ease. As I can still detach the eGPU and travel with it.

Update:

Benchmark results

Note that I bought this graphics card for 3D Animation and VFX work so it is not a gaming card. But I believe the benchmark tests still show much improvement over the original on board graphics.

Intel HD 4600(on board graphics): 3DMark13 (2825)

Nvidia Quadro K2000(external graphics)

3DMark06 (14849)

3DMark11 (GPU=2314)

3DMark13 (5823)

• Thumbs Up 2