14" Asus G46VW + GTX670@10Gbps-TB1 (ThunderTek) + 3D enclosure [jacobsson]

Project news:

• I'm currently investigating why the DA-2 is shutting down cold during Metro:LL and Sky Diver Demo:
    - New GPU already tested and the problem consists
    - Tested a 550W ATX PSU: tests are now stable
    - Max Load: 178W, shouldn't be a biggy for the DA-2 at all, power spikes??
  • Added "clean EUFI Win 8.1 install" and RAID instructions for the G46VW
  • Added how to install the eGPU in Windows 8.1
  • Added some initial benchmarks for GTX 970 3Dmark 06/Vant./11/13
  • Added how to spot a G46VW Thunderbolt motherboard
  • I've decided to upgrade this project with a new GPU: GXT 970, this means that my 3D-printed enclosure is now useless. I will of course still keep the information, files and video of the making of the enclosure since I think it still is good stuff!

wdsj5MA.jpg

Introduction
Why make another thread about this implementation?

I decided to make my own thread for the G46VW eGPU thunderbolt build, you can never have enough eGPU implementations right? =)

Please feel free to point out stuff that you think is missing or things you'd like to see during the project.

I'll probably refer to findings from @

ha1o2surfer

[see

ha1o2surfer's G46VW eGPU thread

] and he's welcome to do the same.

I think my thread will be more DIY design and enclosure oriented, because that's what I like to do.

How do I know if my system have Thunderbolt?

Well, the port itself don't have a TB logo so you'll either have to open it up and look for the mobo revision V1.2 or V2.2.

Spoiler

Spoiler

pe4OSZr.png

Or look for the product number in/on the memory slot for TB-enabled mobos
12700d1412194560-g46vw-mb.png
Which can be found under the memory cover:
12688-13629969824415v3gq66bsw.jpg

An easier way (if you don't want to disassemble the system) is to go to a Mac-store and ask to test a TB-display (

like this

). If you have TB it should just be plug n play (no drivers needs to be downloaded).

With that said, let's get started!

Installation

This is a short recipe of how I installed the eGPU (assuming you have connected/assembled the hardware right)

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. During boot: connect and power up the eGPU
2. In windows: Look in device manager for something unknown/generic VGA adapter (this is your eGPU adapter being initialized)
3. Download the latest display drivers from NVIDIA
4. Make a clean NVIDIA install (tick box), meaning your 660m drivers will be erased in order to share the same driver as your NVIDIA eGPU
5. Restart twice: you will be prompted to restart midway and in the final step of the driver installation (you might wanna eject the eGPU during reboot in case of BSOD)
6. Power up and connect your eGPU, confirm your new (third) GPU in device manager
7. Open NCP from desktop and receive something like "Monitor not attached" error
8. Try: WIN+P to extend desktop and hopefully the eGPU will now be working on your external screen. If not: safely eject eGPU and redo step 6 to 8

Planning and components
Here I will present my idea, goal and what components to be used

I was lucky enough to find a TB equipped G46VW in Sweden (my present living) for $675 with 3630QM, 660M, 8GB RAM, 720P screen, and AC wifi. One can argue that this is a good enough spec. for gaming, but since I'll offload my dear 12" 2570p (see sign) I'll have some nice parts over for upgrades.

System specification table
System
CPU
dGPU
eGPU
Memory
Screen
Storage
Power draw (idle)
Original
[email protected] 660M None 8GB 768p 500GB HDD ?
Upgrade
[email protected] 660M physx GPU GTX970@10Gbps 16GB [email protected] 1080p 2x242GB mSATA @RAID 0 ?

Components list

Design and build

PX PCB Enclosure build 

GPU stand and power interface

Enclosure: 3D design and 3D printing [Gallery & Time lapse video]

Don't forget to visit Hans Peter Sønderup print service if you want someone who really can handle 3D prints of large and complex nature, thanks buddy!

File download: 3D-enclosure [lid + box]
Here you go

Please let me know if you're planning to use it!

Results and perfomance

Benchmarks: Graphics & gaming (1080p)
LCD
config
GPU
config
3DMark06
GPU Score
BL2 @DX9
Min / Max / Avg
Chivalry:MW @DX9
Min / Max / Avg
External 660M      
External

GTX970
10Gbps

External GTX970
10Gbps +
660M PhysX
Internal
optimus
GTX970
10Gbps

Internal 660M      
LCD
config
GPU
config
3DMarkVant
GPU Score
RE5 @DX10
Min / Max / Avg
DMC4 @DX10
Min / Max / Avg
External 660M      
External

GTX970
10Gbps

External GTX970
10Gbps +
660M PhysX
Internal
optimus
GTX970
10Gbps

Internal 660M      
LCD
config
GPU
config
3DMark11
GPU Score
Metro:LL @DX11
Min / Max / Avg
BF4 @DX11
Min / Max / Avg
Crysis 3 @DX11
Min / Max / Avg
External 660M        
External

GTX970
10Gbps

External GTX970
10Gbps +
660M PhysX
Internal
optimus
GTX970
10Gbps

Internal 660M 2771      

LCD
config
GPU
config
Ice Storm
GPU Score
Cloud Gate
GPU Score
Fire Strike
GPU Score
Sky Diver
GPU Score
External 660M 130735 14201 2160 6626
External

GTX970
10Gbps

External GTX970
10Gbps +
660M PhysX
223349 47098 8986 26470
External
optimus
GTX970
1.2Opt

Internal
optimus
GTX970
1.2Opt

Internal 660M        

Power consumption: Max CPU State vs. Screen Brightness

Spoiler

System
CPU
Memory
Screen
Storage
[CPUmax / SCRN]
100% / 100%
[CPUmax / SCRN]
100% / 90%
[CPUmax / SCRN]
100% / 70%
[CPU / SCRN]
100% / 50%
[CPUmax / SCRN]
90% / 100%
[CPUmax / SCRN]
70% / 100%
[CPUmax / SCRN]
50% / 100%
[CPU / SCRN]
50% / 50%
G46VW 3740QM 16GB 1080p 2x256GB mSATA SSD                

Temps

Spoiler

Idle (c)
Browsing (c)
Streaming (c)
Wprime 1024M (c)
Gaming eGPU: BF4 (c)
3740QM@3.7GHz

3740QM@3.9GHz

OC and BIOS

First of all, to be able to overclock or unlock the CPU we need an "unlocked BIOS". This unlocked BIOS permits changing the TDP values for the CPU which then allows it to hit higher clocks within that TDP threshold. Contact @

Klem

in and request the BIOS version you want unlocked for a $10 donation. He will also provide you with all instructions needed to safely flash your BIOS, thanks Klem!

System upgrades

Screen upgrade: 1080P, N140HGE-EAA, Matte

Purchase link:

N140HGE-EAA

More info & installation of the screen

Spoiler

Spoiler

At first I had serious backlight bleeding, but it was a very easy fix to it, I simply putted a slim strip of electrical tape around the inside of the bezel, covering some holes of those leaking light sources from the backlight.
I'm not sure if these holes were suppose to be covered up by material from my original screen or or not? Maybe it suppresses my backlight level a little, don't know?
I don't really care since it worked great and took me about 1min to fix =)
Oh, and wow what a nice crisp picture compared to the 768p screen!
Here is a good instructional G46VW screen replacement.

Installation
The installation was very easy, only a couple of screws behind the rubber triangles and some 4 more for the screen itself. The bezel removal was a real PITA, I did use proper plastic tools to be extra careful and it took a lot of patience too. There was two bezel clips that got destroyed/snapped, it just couldn't be avoided (c'mon ASUS!). It didn't really affect the installation though so I don't care much about it.

Viewing angles
I can't complain at all!
It seem to have just as good angles as the original 768p B140XTN02.1 did, see pictures above and judge for your selves.

Colors
I don't know the first thing about measuring color quality (never had any high-end screens), but one thing's for sure the old screen gave me funky shade of black/grey, the new panel seems to do much better job. It could be that the old screen needed some kind color calibration, not sure.
Anyway, the colors looks just as fine or even better than the old screen so I can't complain.

Brightness
The screen brightness is about average I would say. I like to have it 100% in daylight which really good enough, I don't experience any kind strain to my eyes or anything.

Conclusion
I have almost forgotten my external 24" screen since this screen upgrade, reading websites is now much more pleasant and I don't have to scroll MAO
This upgrade is recommended for anyone who likes an easy DIY challenge, the bezel was a PITA to remove and some electrical tape were needed for the backlight bleeding.

CPU upgrade: 3740QM

This upgrade require you to completely disassemble the system. ASUS has only one warranty sticker in the whole system

AFAIK and it's located over one of CPU heatsink screws. For a first timer I'd say this takes approx. 45 - 60 min  The first time for prying/separating of the keyboard from the housing is pretty significant, I recommend using an old regular plastic card, starting from the back to front (be careful to remove every single screw from the laptop bottom).

Memory upgrade: 16GB LoVo

The memory modules are the only components that are easily accessible for upgrade. They are located on the back behind a small cover with one screw under a rubber thingy: 3 - 5 min

Storage upgrade: RAID 0 -> 256GB (mSATA SSD) + 256GB (2.5" SSD)

In order to get to the full size mSATA in the half size slot it requires full disassemble (same as for CPU): 40 - 50 min

This slot is half sized and I putted a full size card in there, pretty tight but it works! You leave out two insignificant screws: one for the battery and one for the mobo.

The 2.5" HDD slot requires a half disassemble of the laptop and is located just behind the keyboard/front panel: 15 - 20 min

Here

is a pretty detailed video of how disassemble the system, thanks

JwPwns1!

mSATA SSD & BIOS recognition

These are the BIOS settings you might need to set if you have problems getting the mSATA recognized:

Spoiler

• BIOS version 209 has helped others with recognition problems
  • In BIOS: Disable Secure boot
  • In BIOS: Enable Launch CSM
  • (Optional) In BIOS: SATA = ACHI
  • (Optional) In BIOS: Disable Intel SRT

Sources: Here and here

Win 8.1 Clean EUFI install & RAID (not a Win 8 upgrade):

This was a PITA to figure out at first but below you have all pieces you need to make this easy!

Spoiler

1. (Optional) Set up your RAID array inside BIOS: Here is an instructional video
  2. ASUS G750JW Windows 8.1 clean install guide (Don't worry, this works perfectly for G46VW too)
  3. Windows 8.1 Dummy keys (not illegal to use, they are needed to pass the Win 8.1 install directly):

Spoiler

Windows 8.1 Single Language = Y9NXP-XT8MV-PT9TG-97CT3-9D6TC (I used this since I don't care for Swedish)
    Windows 8.1 Core = 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
    Windows 8.1 Pro = XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

4. Change back to your extracted original Windows 8 key: Go to Metro view and search "activate"
  5. (Optional) Install Intel Rapid Storage Technology to have control over your RAID array in Windows
  6. Drivers:
    The Broadcom WLAN driver from Win update & ASUS is rally crap, I used this instead (or google: d1wlg08us17_864)
    The touchpad driver from the G46VW driver section sucks, I found thesefrom another section of ASUS
    The rest of the drivers I leave up to you!

...Coming up next

• GTX 970 @1.2opt VS. GTX 970 @10Gbps
  • Apple 10Gbps cable [2m] VS. OWC 20Gbps cable [1m]
  • Thumbs Up 12

Agreed it has enough power, the question is how do you get that power into the PCI-e aux connector, as the power adapter in the Thundertek board doesn't give you any aux power connectors like the EXP GDC.

Not sure what you're suggesting here but the PCB takes 12V via 5.5/2.5mm and routes 12V (75W) to the GPU via the PCIe 4x connector, just like the EXP GDC.

Sorry I realized the Dell power brick is essentially a PCI-e aux connector on the end. Let me know how it goes, and whether or not you have the stability problems that ha1o2surfer had with the power supplied via the slot itself. He had to resort to a 4x->16x riser with a molex connector...

I solder and build cables pretty often so the physical connectors isn't really any problem =)

The whole system works on 12V that's the important part.

Regarding ha1o2surfer's instability problems, he used the ~36W adapter that came with the PCB to provide juice to the PCIe slot which then yielded power starvation.

I use 5.5/2.5mm 12V line from the Dell adapter to the PCIe slot which is more than enough (75W if you want to).

Can you hook the Dell 220W DA-2 directly to the GPU or do you need some kind of an adapter? Update: Sorry my question is already answered :-)

That is a very good question.

I will use a dead and gutted "EXP GDC" adapter which has a DA-2 female power input. It also have a PCIe 6pin female power output which I'll use for the GPU.

This will be documented during this week, I'm still waiting for my PCI riser to arrive =) (I don't want to cut an open end to the 4x connector.

@Sachin10

I've now put a gallery up for the GPU stand & power cable build.

So the Dell 220W DA-2 PSU power cable doesn't fit directly into the graphics card?

Correct, DA-2 and PCIe power interface are completely different. Even if the DA-2 would fit the GPU it would fry/destroy the GPU due to reverse polarity.

What do you think would be the best way to connect this or another external power brick to the aux connector of the GPU? I'm looking for an aesthetic solution so no desktop PSU. The PSU would only be needed for the aux power of the GPU because I would use the new Sonnet Echo Express SE II with a powered PCIe x16 slot (you can't find them yet on their website but I received confirmation via email).

The DA-2 (D220P etc) is a great PSU for your purposes, depending on how hungry GPU you are about to run?

You could always order a DA-2 and change it's connector to a PCIe interface. Just wire soldering and you'd be done!

AFAIK there are no power bricks that have native 12V PCIe interface.

Thank you buddy!

I'm still waiting for a new riser card (bent my first one a little too much) so I can begin testing the eGPU.

Meanwhile I'll set up a SSD Raid 0 config, install the 3740QM quad and put in 16GB my low volt ram.

Did the 1080p screen affect battery life?

Did the 1080p screen affect battery life?

My wattmeter is too inaccurate to measure such small differences. I will try and compare to with halosurfer and see :)

I did a little test and the difference was to small to see, maybe 1W or so.

I'll post a battery drain test with different settings to see how many hours I'll get.

• 2 weeks later...

How is it toasted? What did you do?

They said at some point about laptops with thunderbolt, but they never released it officially. But if you try, maybe you can find something just like the guys with G46 series.

Beware that instead of thunderbolt those boards can have only a displayport connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@dakwan

I'm positive there are TB versions of the G55VW too, a fast google gave me this:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?42701-G55VW-DH71-Thunderboldt-and-USB3-will-not-work-at-the-same-time!

I'll investigate further tomorrow, watching soccer world cup atm :)

EDIT: By the way, how can you be sure don't already have TB in your "displayport" (the port itself don't have a TB logo)? I found some entries in BIOS (even before unlocked BIOS) that stated thunderbolt delay time and such. If I where you I'd go to a mac-store and ask to test a thunderbolt display (works plug n play w/o downloading any drivers), that's what I did first thing to be sure.

How is it toasted? What did you do?

They said at some point about laptops with thunderbolt, but they never released it officially. But if you try, maybe you can find something just like the guys with G46 series.

Beware that instead of thunderbolt those boards can have only a displayport connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't do nothing.... Just suddenly one day there is no display (blank screen). Been swapping components (ram, hdd, ssd etc) with my other laptop and all the other components are verified ok. BTW it is already out of warranty so might as well upgrade to mobo + tb. Been searching the net but there are no confirm g55vw thunderbolt mobo. Do anybody know what is the mobo code for G55VW-DH71 is? Or any picture of the mobo?

@dakwan

I'm positive there are TB versions of the G55VW too, a fast google gave me this:

G55VW-DH71 - Thunderboldt and USB3 will not work at the same time!!

I'll investigate further tomorrow, watching soccer world cup atm :)

EDIT: By the way, how can you be sure don't already have TB in your "displayport" (the port itself don't have a TB logo)? I found some entries in BIOS (even before unlocked BIOS) that stated thunderbolt delay time and such. If I where you I'd go to a mac-store and ask to test a thunderbolt display (works plug n play w/o downloading any drivers), that's what I did first thing to be sure.

Thanks a lot for your help Jacobsson. My model no. is G55VW-V2G, The mobo code is : G55VW-S1216H

Thanks a lot for your help Jacobsson. My model no. is G55VW-V2G, The mobo code is : G55VW-S1216H

Hi!

This is my strongest bet so far for a TB enabled rev. 2.3 mobo:

G55VW MAIN BOARD 69N0MKM12D11P 60 NB7MB1200 D11 50% off shipping 100% test 45 days warranty-in Motherboards from Electronics on Aliexpress.com

I'd ask the seller if it has thunderbolt or not!

Report back what he says!

EDIT: Here is a rev. 2.2 too:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-asus-G55V-G55VW-REV-2-2-motherboard-mainboard-100-stock-100-Tested-warranty-30-days/1475539926.html

• Thumbs Up 1

@dakwan

1gb0d68.png

As you can see the REV 2.3 has a controller chip right under the displayport, where the REV 1.0 has not.

This could be the tb controller.

I'm going to add a mSATA on the G46VW next week, so I can check this at the same time.

• Thumbs Up 1

@dakwan

As you can see the REV 2.3 has a controller chip right under the display port, where the REV 1.0 has not.

I'm going to add a mSATA on the G46VW next week, so I can check this at the same time.

Thanks you very much jacobsson.Your support and helpfulness is really invaluable to me :) I will try to open up mine to compare the motherboard.

Thanks you very much jacobsson.Your support and helpfulness is really invaluable to me :) I will try to open up mine to compare the motherboard.

No problem buddy!

I'm not so sure about my theory but will check my mobo this weekend to see if I can find some clues.

@dakwan

1gb0d68.png

As you can see the REV 2.3 has a controller chip right under the displayport, where the REV 1.0 has not.

If you can get the systemboard without a TB chip then you might be able to retrofit a TB2 chip on there. You'd get 16Gbps rather than 10Gbps, or 60% more bandwidth.

If you can get the systemboard without a TB chip then you might be able to retrofit a TB2 chip on there. You'd get 16Gbps rather than 10Gbps, or 60% more bandwidth.

I was thinking about this but there are SO many parts missing on the non thunderbolt motherboard. I would guess this would be impossible.

What you mean by retrofit a TB2 chip?

You mean like buying a TB2 chip somewhere else and solder that tiny thing on the motherboard in the empty spot?

Assuming it could work from an electrical standpoint, like having same pins/connections/traces, but isn't thunderbolt directly a PCI hub? And that means it needs a new BIOS supporting that extra PCI port and changes to PCI IRQ routing?

What you mean by retrofit a TB2 chip?

You mean like buying a TB2 chip somewhere else and solder that tiny thing on the motherboard in the empty spot?

Assuming it could work from an electrical standpoint, like having same pins/connections/traces, but isn't thunderbolt directly a PCI hub? And that means it needs a new BIOS supporting that extra PCI port and changes to PCI IRQ routing?

The TB2 chip is a PCIe bridge that attaches to the existing North or South Bridge on an Intel chipset. If the TB2 chip was pin compatible with the designed TB1 one then it would appear on the PCI BUS. Setup 1.x could pre-allocate devices under it if they error 12 or required any additional PCI config requirements. TB2 just combines the two 10Gbps TB channels to get a 20Gbps backend, a feature not available in TB1. The 20Gbps TB backend is downgraded to 16Gbps for pcie because of the x4 2.0 electrical interface being used to host the pci-e card.

The TB2 chip is a PCIe bridge that attaches to the existing North or South Bridge on an Intel chipset. If the TB2 chip was pin compatible with the designed TB1 one then it would appear on the PCI BUS. Setup 1.x could pre-allocate devices under it if they error 12 or required any additional PCI config requirements. TB2 just combines the two 10Gbps TB channels to get a 20Gbps backend, a feature not available in TB1. The 20Gbps TB backend is downgraded to 16Gbps for pcie because of the x4 2.0 electrical interface being used to host the pci-e card.

A very good idea @Tech Inferno Fan Anybody want to try it?

@Tech Inferno Fan

Well there is also this, replacing the current TB1 chip for a TB2?

You're the only one I know that has the skills to do this I think =)

Quoting TechPowerUp "Testing has confirms that a pcie x16 v3 graphics card work equally fine in pcie x16 v1.1, pcie x8 v2.0 and pcie x4 v3.0 slot with 5% average loss margin in worst-case"

Thunderbolt 1 is PCIe 2.0 x4 2 channels (separated, can't be combined) = 1GB/s in each direction

Thunderbolt 2 is PCIe 2.0 x4 2 channels (combined) = 2GB/s in each direction Feel tempted yet @jacobsson

hey,

Do you guys know if the thundertek enclosure uses thunderbolt 2 or 1? On their website it says it uses dual channel 10gb/s which i thought was introduced in TB2 but im not entirely sure. (Im expanding my own rig and if it only uses TB1 it would be better for me to buy an echo express sel and build a new enclosure for it)

Thanks

I have seen first hand what parts are missing on the motherboard as I have a Rev 2.0 board as well as a 2.2 board. It would be way to difficult to add a Thunderbolt chip to a non thunderbolt Asus G46VW board. I would say there is over 50 different parts missing from the non TB motherboard.

• Thumbs Up 4

I have seen first hand what parts are missing on the motherboard as I have a Rev 2.0 board as well as a 2.2 board. It would be way to difficult to add a Thunderbolt chip to a non thunderbolt Asus G46VW board. I would say there is over 50 different parts missing from the non TB motherboard.

So then the only feasible way is to obtain TB2 would be to modify a REV 1.2 / 2.2 from TB1 chip to TB2 then I guess, if the other 50 components are compatible with the new TB2 chip of course.

Sounds like that would require a pair of steady hands =)

• 5 weeks later...

Well it was way too hard trying to source a board for this and I had given up quite a while back. Too costly and time consuming for me right now. I've been convinced to go the desktop route again(dark side). In the mean time I went back to a 3230m from the 3940xm and it's funny how capable that processor is. Still playing games just fine(although maybe a slight performance hit in cpu intensive games(hard to really tell), edits videos just fine, and stays under 70c even when editing vids in the summer. I think a good itx build for me is where it's at. Still interested to see videos of these egpu set ups in action.