12" HP 2540P + GTX660@2Gbps+c-EC1 (PE4L 2.1b) + Win7 [Aluzcz]

Year have passed and I'm back geeking around with my PE4L 2.1. I'm tying to run eGPU on my hp elitebook 2540p.

Currently I'm celebrating success with nvidia GTX 660

3dmark 11 results here NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 video card benchmark result - Intel® Core i7 CPU L 640 @ 2.13GHz,Hewlett-Packard 7008

But if i will take in the account that I'm running this on quite powerful setup, i7 cpu, 4gigs of ram, SSD, im not completely satisfied becasue this setup give me basically half of what the card is capable of otherwise its running with GTX 660 without any issues at all, without any opt tweaks or modded drivers all stock. And my question is, is there a chance to improve my performance with the opt mod?

I was also trying to run my old ATI 4770 on the HP setup but in this case without any luck at all, mostly the system will not find the card, and if it will find it drivers will not catch up and if the drivers will catch up it says that there are no enough resources, i believe error 12 which is kind a strange to me cos on my previous setup with Lenovo this card worked(and still works well), in this case my question is how to get the card work, shoud i get the Opt mod, or?

Bottom line,

currently i have just a ATI 4770, nvidia GTX 660 is a borrowed card and I have to return it, I can buy it as well but i think this cars is a little overpower for my setup and my games(mainly Diablo3 currently)

My main question is, now since i cant get the ATI 4770 working on the HP and i have to return the GTX 660, which card i should buy and how should i set it up? My main issue is that the HP is business bitlocked so i cant use the OPT mod from nando even if i wont to.

My current Plan is to get the nvidia gtx 750 which is fairly cheap and run it like the 660 without any mods, which should and give me fair power, do you agree guys? Suggestions much appreciated.

Your GTX660 would already be running at x1.Opt speed. You can confirm this by running 3dmark06. Typically you'd see a 3dmark06 of ~5k if Optimus compression is disabled on a x1 1.0 link. With compression enabled it will be > 15k with a GTX660. Optimus giving you an accelerated internal LCD mode too if decided to run without

an external LCD, though at a bandwidth penalty.

HD4770 would require the Setup 1.x software to overcome the error12. Hardly worth pursuing. It's a dog of a performer compared to a GTX660 or your earmarked GTX750. Either is the way to go gaining you x1 pci-e compression performance and internal LCD mode features of NVidia Optimus. Hence why NVidia eGPU implementations significantly outnumber AMD ones.

Ok since I'm a bit confused by the x1 speeds and on what em i currently running here is a screen shit from the GPU-Z, also note that the 660 was recognized as a second VGA, intel HD as a primary one. Basically is this the best setting i can go with or is there still some place for improvement? Because i see that even with eGPU are people getting much better scores in benchmarks then i do.

post-12324-14494997501346_thumb.png

I was also running some benchmarks again and in 3d mark 06 i get only 13916

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17576890

So i still feel like something is not completely right :(

edit3: I have done some reading and since I'm using the latest driver its maybe not supporting the optimus anymore, can somebody point me to some modded drivers for the gtx 660 and another question if i will buy the gtx 750, what then? Its a new card which is on the market just for a while and not so many drivers are supporting it so far.

edit4: I just succesfully tested 3d mark / first strike on the internal display, 3d mark 06 was showing some errors but first strike worked and here is the score 3044 WHICH IS JUST 500 POINTS LOWER FROM MY PREVIOUS RUN ON THE LCD SO I GUESS THE OPTIMUS WAS ENGAGED.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/2886888

I have last question regarding the geforce gtx 750, since the card is just powered by the pcie slot and it doesn't have any connector pro the external PSU, will it work on PE4L 2.1? In other words is the short PE4L 2.1 capable supply the full power of the pcie which should be 75w but for gtx 750 it should be enough between 55-60w, still, will the short PE4L 2.1 supply this demand?

• 3 weeks later...