HP EliteBook 8560p + Radeon HD 7870 question

IBLarry

Hello

So I have an HP EliteBook 8560p with i7 and integrated Radeon HD 6470M - I purchased a PE4L-EC060A, although annoyingly I having played about since, I have now seen there is an option in the BIOS to change the link speed on the express slot to 2x!

So the PE4L works with a PCIe NIC I had laying around, and I tried with an old Radeon HD2400 PRO, it picks up the card but there is no Windows 7 driver available for it (the site says there is, but looks like it is actually for Vista since when I try to install I get an error saying this driver is not for this version of Windows.)

Anyway, I connected up my 2GB HD7870 and it spins up but then nothing happens, the laptop does not detect anything whatsoever - am I doing something wrong here? I have had another look through the FAQ but I can't see anything relevant to my situation...

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks

Any advice would be appreciated..Thanks

1.If you can disable in bios dgpu then restart - if not you have to buy diyegpu setup

2.press F8 to get to advanced startup options

3.power up egpu and connect expresscard

4.resume win,you should see your card in device manager

5.install drivers (try to find some unified drivers for mobility/desktop support,it will be better if you have bought nvidia card / or try with normal catalyst driver / make backup of you laptop before so you can easily restore back),after installation of driver you will be prompted to restart (after restart quickly pull out expresscard)

6.power off egpu then power on,repeat steps 2,3,4

1.If you can disable in bios dgpu then restart - if not you have to buy diyegpu setup

8560P with AMD dGPU has switchable graphics, ie: no iGPU. An AMD card is a better option there as can get full x1 2.0 performance that nearly matches x1.2Opt at same card level but has no internal LCD mode. Still, OP has detection issues. Should halt Win7/8 loading with F8/F12, then hotplug the powered eGPU with the EC2C end into the expresscard slot and continue boot.

8560P with AMD dGPU has switchable graphics, ie: no iGPU. An AMD card is a better option there as can get full x1 2.0 performance that nearly matches x1.2Opt at same card level but has no internal LCD mode. Still, OP has detection issues. Should halt Win7/8 loading with F8/F12, then hotplug the powered eGPU with the EC2C end into the expresscard slot and continue boot.

thanks I will give this a go - I noticed if I tried to cold boot the machine with the card plugged in it would do the normal POST checks (i.e. cycle num and key lock leds etc) and make noises but nothing would display - I tried connecting it as soon as the HP spash screen came up before windows even started booting but this did not achieve anything either.

This is a stupid question but if I disable this how can I re-enable with no display if the egpu doesn't work for some reason?

This is a stupid question but if I disable this how can I re-enable with no display if the egpu doesn't work for some reason?

You have igpu / HD3000 graphics. Look at it this way dgpu is just extra, igpu is primary card.

thanks I will give this a go - I noticed if I tried to cold boot the machine with the card plugged in it would do the normal POST checks (i.e. cycle num and key lock leds etc) and make noises but nothing would display - I tried connecting it as soon as the HP spash screen came up before windows even started booting but this did not achieve anything either.

You have to hot plug it as i mentioned in steps 2,3

If he has i7 proc he should have hd3000 graphics, the point of switcable graphics is igpu+amd dgpu.

The Sandy/Ivy Bridge Elitebooks have no switchable graphics as HP have wired only the dGPU. The iGPU is not accessible.

http://hpfansite.com/2011/02/elitebook-8460p-elitebook-8560p/ confirms this:

Here’s a run down of what’s available for the EliteBook 8460p and EliteBook 8560p:

Choice of discrete graphics (1 GB DDR3 AMD Radeon 6470M graphics card) or integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000 built-in graphics)

The discrete graphics card supports AMD Eyefinity, which allows you to connect up to 4 (yes, four) external displays to the notebook. Neither EliteBook has switchable graphics: You either go with discrete graphics or you don’t, so pick wisely when purchasing your notebook!

IBLarry, my experience with the Sandy/Ivy Bridge Elitebooks (2560P/2570P) find that a NVidia GTX560Ti/GTX660 card can work without needing Setup 1.x. An AMD HD7870, with it's need for a larger 256MB contiguous PCI config space, required Setup 1.x's PCI compaction to be performed for those systems to be able to host that video card without incurring an error 12 against the card in Device Manager.

8560P is highly likely to also incur error 12 with that being the corrective solution.

IBLarry, my experience with the Sandy/Ivy Bridge Elitebooks (2560P/2570P) find that a NVidia GTX560Ti/GTX660 card can work without needing Setup 1.x. An AMD HD7870, with it's need for a larger 256MB contiguous PCI config space, required Setup 1.x's PCI compaction to be performed for those systems to be able to host that video card without incurring an error 12 against the card in Device Manager.

8560P is highly likely to also incur error 12 with that being the corrective solution.

This is great info, thanks for your help here.

Do you think I am likely to see any appreciable gaming performance increase against the inbuilt card if I can successfully run a GTX660 or do you think I should just buy a desktop machine instead.. :)

This is great info, thanks for your help here.

Do you think I am likely to see any appreciable gaming performance increase against the inbuilt card if I can successfully run a GTX660 or do you think I should just buy a desktop machine instead.. :)

Lack of the iGPU means your system isn't x1.2Opt capable. You would get better performance from a AMD card such as your earmarked HD7870 over a GTX660.

Can see for yourself. Compare x1 2.0 NVidia (not x1.2Opt) versus x1 2.0 AMD at

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197

As it seems you have a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b already you can easily test the performance of the system and decide if you need to upgrade to a desktop or not. You will need an external LCD. A H7870 eGPU at x1 2.0 will significantly outbenchmark a 8560P's HD6470M dGPU.

Lack of the iGPU means your system isn't x1.2Opt capable. You would get better performance from a AMD card such as your earmarked HD7870 over a GTX660.

Can see for yourself. Compare x1 2.0 NVidia (not x1.2Opt) versus x1 2.0 AMD at

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197

As it seems you have a PE4L-EC060A 2.1b already you can easily test the performance of the system and decide if you need to upgrade to a desktop or not. You will need an external LCD. A H7870 eGPU at x1 2.0 will significantly outbenchmark a 8560P's HD6470M dGPU.

Thank you again for your reply. Is there any way I can demo this Setup 1.2 software? I am more than happy to pay $25 but if it doesn't work, I'd rather put that money towards a new desktop machine as I have already spent nearly $100 on the PE4L

So when I load Setup 1.x the PCI compaction fails unless I select 36bit or higher, however when I boot into Windows like this I get either normal windows with the eGPU not detected, or a 16-bit display and device manager shows the eGPU "working" but the dGPU is not present and I cannot change the resolution. It also shows a PCI Express standard root port with error 12, I am guessing this is related. When I shutdown I get a BSOD with "PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES"

I have tried every permutation of pci compaction but cannot get it to work successfully, even with all the other PCI devices disabled.

Any ideas?

So when I load Setup 1.x the PCI compaction fails unless I select 36bit or higher, however when I boot into Windows like this I get either normal windows with the eGPU not detected, or a 16-bit display and device manager shows the eGPU "working" but the dGPU is not present and I cannot change the resolution. It also shows a PCI Express standard root port with error 12, I am guessing this is related. When I shutdown I get a BSOD with "PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES"

I have tried every permutation of pci compaction but cannot get it to work successfully, even with all the other PCI devices disabled.

Any ideas?

Please boot Setup 1.x -> Menu-based. Select Save Diags->compact_fails. Boot into Windows, run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount to get (v:), archive v:\diag folder, upload to mediafire.com and provide a link in a response.

Please boot Setup 1.x -> Menu-based. Select Save Diags->compact_fails. Boot into Windows, run c:\eGPU\eGPU-setup-mount to get (v:), archive v:\diag folder, upload to mediafire.com and provide a link in a response.

Please see here as requested: diag

Thanks

Please see here as requested: [url=http://www.mediafire.com/download/e5zzbt56b99s3d5/diag.rar]diag[/url]

Thanks

ACPIPNP0C021
    Name: Motherboard resources
    Device has the following resources reserved:
        MEM : fed1c000-fed1ffff
        MEM : fed10000-fed17fff
        MEM : fed18000-fed18fff
        MEM : 00000000-00000fff
        MEM : d4600000-d4600fff[/B]
        MEM : e0000000-efffffff
        MEM : fed20000-fed3ffff
        MEM : fed90000-fed93fff
        MEM : fed45000-fed8ffff
        MEM : fec00000-fec00fff[/CODE]

Unfortunately there's an issue with HP's BIOS. With your TOLUD=3GB there are 4 256MB windows available. You have 2 AMD GPUs both of which require 256MB contiguous PCI config space at a 256MB boundary, but there is only 1 one available that is already hosting your dGPU. The 4 256MB windows above 3GB (TOLUD) are summarized as:

0xC0000000 AMD dGPU 0xD0000000 (Motherboard @d46000000 preventing using this as a 256MB contiguous block)

0xE0000000 (pciex - reserved, can't be used) 0xF0000000 (system devices)

A HP BIOS engineer plonked that Motherboard resource @d4600000 preventing the use of that window for your AMD dGPU. Really not intelligent at all for our purposes.

You have several solutions to consider:

1. Get a NVidia GTX560Ti or GTX660+ instead of an AMD card that can allocate around that problem Motherboard resource. These NVidia cards require 128MB+64MB+16MB or 128MB+32MB+16MB respectively. Though I've explained previously that for your system that lacks an active iGPU, a AMD card will perform better.

2. Perform a DSDT override allowing allocation into 36/64-bit PCI config space. This is the tried-and-trued solution used when encounter limits with 32-bit PCI allocation.

3. Contact HP requesting they modify the bios so that Motherboard resource allocates into the 0xF0000000 range so the 0xD0000000 256MB block can be used for eGPU 32-bit pci-e allocation. My 2570P doesn't have such silly allocation so maybe they fixed it in all later Elitebooks?

So I did a DSDT override successfully but I am now getting a code 43!! going crazy here

Likely due to having two different drivers for the AMD cards. Suggest try the following in order:

1. Set the PCI Reset Delay to 6.9s (SW1=3) on the PE4L 2.1b. Power on the eGPU slightly before powering on the system and boot into Setup 1.x, detect the video card, perform your 36-bit eGPU compaction, 'chainload mbr' to Windows. This is just in case hotplugging is causing the AMD eGPU to not be correctly initialized.

2. Look for a unified driver for both your HD6470M and HD7870 or create one by modifying the desktop driver INF files to include the HD6470M.

Likely due to having two different drivers for the AMD cards. Suggest try the following in order:

1. Set the PCI Reset Delay to 6.9s (SW1=3) on the PE4L 2.1b. Power on the eGPU slightly before powering on the system and boot into Setup 1.x, detect the video card, perform your 36-bit eGPU compaction, 'chainload mbr' to Windows. This is just in case hotplugging is causing the AMD eGPU to not be correctly initialized.

2. Look for a unified driver for both your HD6470M and HD7870 or create one by modifying the desktop driver INF files to include the HD6470M.

I don't have the card with me right now, but I was able to successfully install the desktop driver by including the mobility identifiers in the INF files as it already includes the same "chipset" (Vancouver)

On another note I am only able to get pci_alloc = yes [256] when I do a compaction of both dGPU + eGPU and force eGPU to 32-bit, otherwise given any other option I get yes [128] - is this going to cause any other issues for me?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

You have several solutions to consider:

1. Get a NVidia GTX560Ti or GTX660+ instead of an AMD card that can allocate around that problem Motherboard resource. These NVidia cards require 128MB+64MB+16MB or 128MB+32MB+16MB respectively. Though I've explained previously that for your system that lacks an active iGPU, a AMD card will perform better

I couldn't get the HD7870 to work in the end, so I went out and bought a GTX660 and it works perfectly - I dual-boot Win7 and Win8 and it works great on both without any issues.

Thank you for all your help.

• Thumbs Up 1

I couldn't get the HD7870 to work in the end, so I went out and bought a GTX660 and it works perfectly - I dual-boot Win7 and Win8 and it works great on both without any issues.

Thank you for all your help.

Thank you for the update. Turns out you are the second user (other was with a SB HP DV7) in only a few days who is experiencing error 43 problems with a HP system + PE4L 2.1b + AMD eGPU. That being due to the need to hotplug the eGPU to bypass bios. In yours and the other user's case the solution was to use an NVidia eGPU.

For the other user having an internal iGPU means he'll see better performance with NVidia. In your case having only a dGPU that is not the case. So I've requested that BPlus change the 500ms delay on the PE4L 2.1b to be 15s. That should remedy the error 43 you and the other user were seeing:

Date: Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Subject: REQ: Please change PE4L 2.1b 500ms PCI Reset Delay to 15s

To: Masaharu Adachi @ BPlus

Cc: Gerry Chen @ Bplus

Hi Masaharu,

I've had a number of users, particularly with AMD cards, who experience error43 upon hotplugging an AMD card after boot. The solution is of course not to hotplug but some system's bios will not allow boot upon detecting an eGPU attached AND the 6.9s delay is insufficient to pass BIOS. Eg:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/5055-hp-elitebook-8560p-radeon-hd-7870-question-2.html#post71841

So I recommend you change the 500ms PE4L 2.1b PCI Reset Delay to be 15s instead, matching that of a PE4H 2.4a.

This is a simple capacitor change as documented at

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-146.html#post58860

Please advise if this is to be implemented as otherwise users cannot readily use AMD eGPUs.

Thank you,

Nando

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.