Adding a Switch for powering on eGPU

Hello all,

When I tried hooking up my PE4L's SWEX adapter to my cases power switch, I noticed that i would press the button, power would be received, and I would release it and it would turn off.. I think it has to do with the type of switch in the case. I want to add a switch like this:

PV6 anti-vandal switch | illuminated anti-vandal | water resistant anti-vandal

Does anyone know what I would need to do to get it to function with the light?

That's a pretty sturdy switch :D anti-vandal. I think it would be rather complicated to make it work as an on and off switch.

Easy done. The anti-vandal switch has 2 posts. Just wire the ATX PSU's green (PS_ON) and black wires (COM/GND) to those posts. Though the illumination won't work since there isn't any power running through those two leads.

103140_12lo.jpg

REF: How do I manually turn on an ATX power supply?

Could i not use the jumper slot that is on the SWEX board? Additionally, is there no way to send power to the LED's?

Could i not use the jumper slot that is on the SWEX board? Additionally, is there no way to send power to the LED's?

Yes, if you put the SWEX in the OFF position (SW1=2-3) then can wire to your switch to JP1 so it can switch on the PSU.

nhd5.png

Above: SWEX circuit extract from the SWEX schematic

The anti-vandal switch has two posts and expects there to be a voltage difference (eg: 12V and GND) to power the illumination. The ATX PSU PS_ON doesn't work with voltage. It works by detecting a change in resistance (infinite = open circuit to 0ohm = closed circuit). You'd need to find another switch that has a third post for powering on the illumination if that's what you want.

• 3 months later...

Hi, hopefully someone can help. I have the same problem with my egpu in my new case: BitFenix.com » Products » Chassis » Phenom Micro-ATX

If i connect power pin from case power button to JP1 from SWEX i can turn on. Bu i have to hold the button. If not power goes off. Is there an extra switch somewhere to buy which could work in between? [powerbutton]-[switch,on/off]-swex,jp1 ?

Thanks for any help.

Or is this:

Easy done. The anti-vandal switch has 2 posts. Just wire the ATX PSU's green (PS_ON) and black wires (COM/GND) to those posts. Though the illumination won't work since there isn't any power running through those two leads.

what i need? So pressing the button gives signal to psu to turn on, pressing again gives signal to turn off?

• 8 months later...

Hey Nando4,

It has been a long time, but I'm about to build a new desk setup, and I wanted to revisit this. Would a switch like the one linked below work with the standard jumper slot on the SWEX without having to cut and splice my power supply?

Ce Rohs 2 Position Push Button Switch - Buy 2 Position Push Button Switch,16mm Push Button Switch,2a/36vdc Push Button Switches Product on Alibaba.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.