Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lenovo Y570 + e-gpu help a noob out

Hey everyone.

My name is Nick. This is my first post so this is my introduction also.

I have a Lenovo Y570 and tinkering with the idea of e-gpu. My knowledge of PC's extends to building numerous high end gaming desktop machines, modding mobile devices. I also do a bit of programming every now and then. However ive never extensivly modded a laptop before. So you will have to excuse my lack of knowledge in the laptop area and why i seek help.

My laptop specs are:
    Lenovo Y570
    i7 2800QM 3.2ghz
    8gb Ram
    GT555M 2gb w/ Optimus Intel HD3000.

Its average for gaming, esp at 1920x1080 on a 24" monitor i have, so i want more graphical beef. My idea was to run a GTX660 or GTX660TI. I understand bottlenecking can be an issue, but i assume with this cpu and as the card isnt that high end it shouldnt receive any issues. However like i said i am a noob in the laptop world so i could be wrong. I have opened my laptop completely to re-do the heatsink with some better thermal paste, i also put a seagate momentus XT 750gb/8gbssd in for a performance boost. So ive seen inside the laptop before. Im almost certain this didnt come with the bluetooth, and the wifi card is in the m-pcie slot (but this is what im unsure of)
    I understand i'll need PSU, video card and the PE4L/H to be able to run an e-gpu. I have no expresscard slot, so m-pcie is the way, im just unsure if that's what i have.

The information im after is about setting it all up. Because my knowledge is very limited i am unsure where to start. I have done quite a bit of reading in here, google searches but i still have some unanswered questions.
    I am assuming as lower spec lenovo's like the y46x can run e-gpu that mine should be able too, but this im unsure of, so guidance would be appriciated. Which device specifically should i get. What software will i need?
    im sure i have missed many questions, but being bit unsure about this whole thing im sure more will come up.

Thanks guys

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone ?

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I can tell the only implementation you can do with the y570 is via mPCIe with a PE4L-PM3N or a PE4H-PM3N. There is a fellow who managed to hook up a GTX 560 on his Z570 here and here. Both systems are technically the same so you should be able to do the same thing. Look at the main experiences thread for more information.