2012 MBA + GTX560@8Gbps-TB1 (TH05) + Win7 [google_peace]

NOTE: The US$180 BPlus TH05 (inc Thunderbolt cable) native Thunderbolt adapter used in this implementation was recalled in Jan 2013 due to (presumably) threats by Intel/Apple per TH05 recall notice. As a result refer to either of these solution that can be implemented today: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/4570-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-rmbp-gtx660-sonnet-echo-express-se-%40-10gbps.html#post63754 or 2013 11" Macbook Air + Win7 + Sonnet Echo ExpressCard + PE4L + Internal LCD [uS$250].

Solution for Macbook Air 2012 W7 64bit Bios Mode (thanks to Nando4)

You need the DIY eGPU Setup 1.x Update so that your Series 7 Chipset is supported.

Use the following \config\pci.bat

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]@echo off[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]echo Performing PCI allocation for 2012 MBA (BIOS) based of Tech Inferno Fan analysis . . .[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]:: Southbridge port5[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]@echo -s 0:1c.4 1c.w=6030 20.l=AE90A090 24.l=CDF1AEA1 > setpci.arg[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]:: Underlying Bridges in order from high to low[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]@echo -s 4:0.0 1c.w=5131 20.l=AB00A090 24.l=C9F1B801 >> setpci.arg[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]@echo -s 4:3.0 1c.w=4131 20.l=A700A200 24.l=C5F1B801 >> setpci.arg[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]@echo -s 6:0.0 04.w=7 1c.w=3131 20.l=A300A200 24.l=C1F1B801 28.l=0 30.w=0 3c.b=10 >> setpci.arg[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]@echo -s 7:0.0 04.w=7 1c.w=3131 20.l=A300A200 24.l=C1F1B801 28.l=0 30.w=0 3c.b=10 >> setpci.arg[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]:: The NVidia GTX560[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]@echo -s 8:0.0 04.w=400 0C.b=20 24.w=3F81 10.l=A2000000 14.l=B8000000 1C.l=C0000000 3C.b=10 50.b=1 88.w=140 >> setpci.arg[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]setpci @setpci.arg[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]set pci_written=yes[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]
[/FONT]

Use the following \config\startup.bat

[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]:: Speed up end-to-end runtime of startup.bat using caching[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]call speedup lbacache[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]:: wait for eGPU to be on the PCI BUS[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]call vidwait 60 10de:1201[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]:: initialize NVidia eGPU[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]call vidinit -d 10de:1201[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]:: Perform the pci-e fixups[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]call pci [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]:: Chainload to the MBR[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]call grub4dos mbr[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]
[/FONT]

The files are for a GTX 560! Adapt it if you have a different graphics card!

INFO: MBA has thunderbolt connected to the Southbridge. Macbook Pros have it connected to the Northbidge.

Finally I had another problem with my chainloading. My internal harddisk was recognized as hd2 instead of hd1. So nando rewrote the grub files for me: menu.rar

Now everything should be working in Windows 7 64bit Bios Mode.

See the thread of kloper (http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2728-13-retina-mbp-win7-th05-gtx570-internal-lcd.html) for a more comprehensive description of the above adapted to a 13" Macbook Pro Retina.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,I have the setup like in the title. A iGpu HD4000 and an eGpu GTX560.I try to use the bios boot option with windows 7 as described by nando in the other thread (http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2367-macbook-pro-retina-15-gtx-560-ti-%40-th05-3.html#post32194).I have bought eGPU Setup 1.x and installed it on a usb stick and can boot from it.I have copied the startup.bat and pci.bat to the stick and changed the device id to the gtx 560. It is recognized.Now I have a few problems:The showstopper is, that it is telling me that my chipset cannot be recognized and tells me to run ichip after i have defined my chipset in the config file. What do I have to do to solve this.Other problems:-eGPU Setup 1.x is freezing whenever i press a button in the selection menu after the eGPU Setup start. I can only press the numbers 1-4 to select an item but any other button like F8 or up and down freezes everything.- After a random amount of time the screen goes black, i think. As far as i can tell the programm is still working because the usb sticks led still blinks when entering commands blindly. It can go black already in the blue selection screen or some time later. I happens after a random amount of time but always.Thank Yougoogle

@borealiss Thanks for the link, i will try that later on.

--

My next problem with egpu Setup is with the chainloader. It always goes to the eGpu Menu again and again on the usb stick.

All other chainloader options in the graphical setup bring me to a grub console.

What do i need to change to chainload my bootcamp partition?

Thanks

google

It sounds like it might not have flashed correctly? I've used the disk image utility and never had any issues. Perhaps you should try that.

How does it behave when it's installed on hard disk?

Also, when you try to eliminate error12 conditions, one thing I learned last night is that if you systematically go and disable your pci controllers (there should be about 6-8 of them under system resources in device manager), you can get some more MMIO space. You need to keep track of which ones control your essential peripherals like the thunderbolt adapter and your graphics cards. I've found that disabling about 2-3 of them gives me more flexibility, and although it may kill other peripherals such as LPC controller, bluetooth controller, or whatever, I don't use these.

Good luck.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2012 MBA + GTX560@8Gbps-TB1 (TH05) + Win7 [google_peace]