Page 66 of 378 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY eGPU experiences [version 2.0]

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn then it probably won't be fixed anytime soon. Well doesnt matter so much for me since all im interested in is OpenCL which works flawlessly. Just the bandwith is a very limiting factor. nando: With your lucid virtu overlay patch is the trial mode disabled overall with it so that i can specify custom apps in the management panel that should be handled via virtu or is this still greyed out? Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hansmuster View Post
    Could you boot without a monitor connected (but the gpu connected of course) and see if windows behaves normal / lets you start directx/opengl apps or if they crash? thanks a lot
    Just tried rebooting without external screen, nothing happens.... just black screen.

For Nando :
    Do you think my benchmarks are ok and i get full bandwidth?
    Thanks in advance..

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, can someone please help me out with my eGPU setup??

I have a T420, Intel 3000HD + Nvidia NVS 4200m setup. I'm running Windows 8, i7, and 8gb ram. I have the PE4L 2.1 and a GTX 560Ti, Corsair CX430 power supply. For some reason my PE4L didn't come shipped with an ATX power supply so I'm using the paper clip trick to turn on the PSU. I have my SW1 set at 2-3 and SW2 set at 2-3 (although I've read that SW1 should be set to 1, my computer can't detect the eGPU when it's set at 1; I do get both LED's on the PE4L though in either case). I've been desperately trying to setup a x1.2Opt setup, but I've been getting blue screens all over the place...

The most common error I've been getting is that when I plug in my eGPU, my USB ports and Wi-Fi card become disabled. These issues become fixed when I hard reboot the computer, so afterward I tried installing the latest Nvidia driver (the Verde version with nvram file modified), yet when I try to open the Nvidia Control Panel, I get an error message saying "Nvidia Display Settings Not Available: you are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU." Also on my Device Manager, my NVS 4200m is still listed, although it shouldn't be...What is the easiest way to setup the eGPU on a T420? Do you think I need to purchase the Setup 1.1x in order to correctly set the computer up, or do a DSDT override (how do you do this for windows 8??) Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Jason Choi; 01-13-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Choi View Post
    Hi, can someone please help me out with my eGPU setup??

I have a T420, Intel 3000HD + Nvidia NVS 4200m setup. I'm running Windows 8, i7, and 8gb ram. I have the PE4L 2.1 and a GTX 560Ti, Corsair CX430 power supply. For some reason my PE4L didn't come shipped with an ATX power supply so I'm using the paper clip trick to turn on the PSU. I have my SW1 set at 2-3 and SW2 set at 2-3 (although I've read that SW1 should be set to 1, my computer can't detect the eGPU when it's set at 1; I do get both LED's on the PE4L though in either case). I've been desperately trying to setup a x1.2Opt setup, but I've been getting blue screens all over the place...

The most common error I've been getting is that when I plug in my eGPU, my USB ports and Wi-Fi card become disabled. These issues become fixed when I hard reboot the computer, so afterward I tried installing the latest Nvidia driver (the Verde version with nvram file modified), yet when I try to open the Nvidia Control Panel, I get an error message saying "Nvidia Display Settings Not Available: you are not currently using a display attached to an Nvidia GPU." Also on my Device Manager, my NVS 4200m is still listed, although it shouldn't be...What is the easiest way to setup the eGPU on a T420? Do you think I need to purchase the Setup 1.1x in order to correctly set the computer up, or do a DSDT override (how do you do this for windows 8??) Thank you so much!

Hi,

T420 here too but without nvidia.

Update to the latest bios. Don't do DSDT override on t420. It will bluescreen your windows! Latest bios got dynamic tolud. Maybe problem is along with your internal card it can't reserve enough.

Power on the egpu before pluging it in _and_ before you start the t420. Then power on t420 and let it boot. You might have to wait for a few seconds after windows has bootet. Sometimes windows disables both HD3000 and Radeon for me because of error 22 (probably both fighting for memory blocks) to enable them 20secs later just fine.

You might also need to / be able to disable your nvidia card in the bios.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samiam View Post
    I finally got my X230 setup working well enough, thanks to a comment by Zak9909. Previously the eGPU was only working when not using the mSATA SSD at the same time. I booted Setup 1.x from a flash drive, but found that it could not chainload to my SSD which was on a GPT partition table. I tried the uefi chainload mode but Tianocore's UEFI-DUET got stuck and there's little information on it. So I reinstalled Windows 8 on my SSD this time using an MBR partition table. Then in Setup 1.x I did PCI compaction with the 32-bitA method (iGPU and eGPU only), and chainloaded with mbr mode. This is with everything plugged in at the beginning, and it worked. The only issue I still have is sleeping sometimes results in a blue screen or black screen. Also, initially I didn't realize I needed the patch to Setup 1.x that adds Series-7 chipset support, it's on the stickied thread here but not on DIY eGPU Setup 1.x Help. Setup 1.x even seems to fix the error with my BIOS not detecting the SSD after a forced shutdown, I run it without the eGPU and compact everything including the SSD - it shows up as Ricoh because I guess Lenovo meant for it to be used for a media card reader.
    Hi nando, I thought I got my setup working but I spoke too soon. Right now it only works on less than half of reboots. More than half the time, Windows 8 bluescreens when I chainload into it from Setup 1.x, after having done the PCI compaction. The error is VIDEO_TDR_ERROR or something similar, and it mentions atikmdag.sys. It looks like it's trying to send a signal to the external monitor, which comes out of standby mode but shortly after goes back into standby, then the internal LCD turns back on and bluescreens. But sometimes it works perfectly, and keeps working until I reboot or shutdown. I don't want to leave the eGPU running all the time (wastes power and the fan's very loud) and sleeping causes a bluescreen so I'm wondering how to make this work reliably. Also, if I start with the external monitor disconnected from the eGPU but do the compaction normally, it usually boots fine but then bluescreens when I connect the monitor.

Any suggestions? Could it be a bad PE4L or PCIe cable? What's strange is it keeps working as long as the bootup works. I am using the ATI legacy 12.6 drivers for Windows 8 since my graphics card is a 4830. I tried the 12.11 beta modded for legacy GPUs from the guru3d forums, but that just caused me to be stuck at a black screen at bootup whether I had the egpu connected or not, so I had to do a system restore. Is my setup more likely to work if I get a newer ATI card? Or an Nvidia card?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hansmuster View Post
    Damn then it probably won't be fixed anytime soon. Well doesnt matter so much for me since all im interested in is OpenCL which works flawlessly. Just the bandwith is a very limiting factor. nando: With your lucid virtu overlay patch is the trial mode disabled overall with it so that i can specify custom apps in the management panel that should be handled via virtu or is this still greyed out? Thanks
    Latest Virtu MVP (2.1.221) trial allows adding programs via the management panel. The version I hacked (2.1.220) to work has that greyed out but can edit the XML/ini file with an editor to add.

Quote Originally Posted by pas209 View Post
    Just tried rebooting without external screen, nothing happens.... just black screen.

For Nando :
    Do you think my benchmarks are ok and i get full bandwidth?
    Thanks in advance..
    Yes. You have a NVidia chipset so get the equivalent of x1E with Intel chipsets. Posting your RE5-var-dx9-1280x800 benchmark would let us see how if fares in the leaderboard.

Quote Originally Posted by samiam View Post
    Hi nando, I thought I got my setup working but I spoke too soon. Right now it only works on less than half of reboots. More than half the time, Windows 8 bluescreens when I chainload into it from Setup 1.x, after having done the PCI compaction. The error is VIDEO_TDR_ERROR or something similar, and it mentions atikmdag.sys. It looks like it's trying to send a signal to the external monitor, which comes out of standby mode but shortly after goes back into standby, then the internal LCD turns back on and bluescreens. But sometimes it works perfectly, and keeps working until I reboot or shutdown. I don't want to leave the eGPU running all the time (wastes power and the fan's very loud) and sleeping causes a bluescreen so I'm wondering how to make this work reliably. Also, if I start with the external monitor disconnected from the eGPU but do the compaction normally, it usually boots fine but then bluescreens when I connect the monitor.

Any suggestions? Could it be a bad PE4L or PCIe cable? What's strange is it keeps working as long as the bootup works. I am using the ATI legacy 12.6 drivers for Windows 8 since my graphics card is a 4830. I tried the 12.11 beta modded for legacy GPUs from the guru3d forums, but that just caused me to be stuck at a black screen at bootup whether I had the egpu connected or not, so I had to do a system restore. Is my setup more likely to work if I get a newer ATI card? Or an Nvidia card?
    Something is wrong when the eGPU is placed under load. Check your PSU. Yes, could even be a bad PE4L or PCIe cable. Your setup will work with a newer AMD card so long as those devices (PSU, PE4L, cable, EC2C) are all working OK.
    DIY eGPUeGPU Implementations: TB, EC, mPCIeHP C2D DualIDA BIOS12.5" HP 2570P with i7-3740QM@3.87Ghz

14" Dell Latitude E6440 i7-4800MQ 3.7Ghz HD4600 1600x900 8GB 500GB SSHD + ODD + BCM4352AC WWAN Win7/64 + DIY eGPU (PE4L 2.1b) weapon of choice:

GTX770@x1.2Opt 3dmkGPU:06/10/11/13-fs=30508/32251/9842/7487
    R9 280X@x1.2     3dmkGPU:06/10/11/13-fs=28904/31964/9721/7314

13" Macbook Pro i5-3210M 3.1 HD4000 8GB 500GB Win7/64 +GTX660Ti@x2.2 DIY eGPU (TH05) 3dmkGPU:06/10/11=18569/24363/7810

Which is better? E6440 is 2.5+ times better at 70% the cost of the MBP making it 3.5+ times better value => MBP had to go

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nando4 View Post
    I am enquiring with BPlus now about the Gen2 capability of PE4H 2.4a. I'm a bit surprised as I beta tested something similar to the EC060A item they list (soldered on EC2C end, mHDMI connection to PE4H 2.4a) back in Dec 2011 finding it would fail to reliably run a Gen2 link. I'll find out soon enough.

The GTX@x1.2 and HD7870@x1.2 benchmarks at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-g...html#post37197 give an idea of what performance you'd get on your system. We see the HD7870 beats the GTX660 across the board except in Dirt2. The HD7870@x1.2 results being the same as running a HD7870@x2E on your machine.
    Thank you for enquiring Blus about the pci-e 2.0 capability! If the PE4H 2.4 (new and 2012 model) really has that capability would that mean that you could do a @x2 2.0 or even @x4 2.0 on Sandy/Ivy-Bridge notebooks?

Now that my new Lenovo E330 is not eGPU capable due to whitelisting issues, its seems that I have bought the "wrong" graphics card. I purchased an Nvidia-Fermi card in order to be able to use Optimus with my E330. Now I am stuck with my ASUS G71V as my eGPU-laptop which would perform better with an AMD card @x2E

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renovatio View Post
    Thank you for enquiring Blus about the pci-e 2.0 capability! If the PE4H 2.4 (new and 2012 model) really has that capability would that mean that you could do a @x2 2.0 or even @x4 2.0 on Sandy/Ivy-Bridge notebooks?

Now that my new Lenovo E330 is not eGPU capable due to whitelisting issues, its seems that I have bought the "wrong" graphics card. I purchased an Nvidia-Fermi card in order to be able to use Optimus with my E330. Now I am stuck with my ASUS G71V as my eGPU-laptop which would perform better with an AMD card @x2E
    Sandy/Ivy Bridge notebooks have the port link width setting in the flash descriptor and that is locked down by the manufacturer. A utility was leaked for Sandy Bridge systems ME Firmware 7.x available here that allows port settings. Same connectivity requirements apply, you need to have [port1+2], [port3+4], [port5+6] or [port7+8] accessible as mPCIe+mPCIe or EXP+mPCIe for x2 mode or [port1+2+3+4] or [port5+6+7+8] for x4 mode. I believe the Dell Latitude E6x20 series would be able to do x2 and x4. Problem is nobody has publically explained how to unlock the flash descriptor on a Dell system. Khenglish has investigated this for his E6520 finding no solution as yet in his thread Lets enable overclocking on all 6 and 7 series laptops .

The complexity to getting it work is such that we can say x2/x4 mode is no longer a viable option on Sandy/Ivy Bridge systems.

Otherwise, yes, a AMD HD7xxx@x2E card would do better on your G71V than the GTX560Ti and would even be better on your E330 if you decided to have a crack at overcoming the whitelisting by hotplugging after booting with wifi.
    DIY eGPUeGPU Implementations: TB, EC, mPCIeHP C2D DualIDA BIOS12.5" HP 2570P with i7-3740QM@3.87Ghz

14" Dell Latitude E6440 i7-4800MQ 3.7Ghz HD4600 1600x900 8GB 500GB SSHD + ODD + BCM4352AC WWAN Win7/64 + DIY eGPU (PE4L 2.1b) weapon of choice:

GTX770@x1.2Opt 3dmkGPU:06/10/11/13-fs=30508/32251/9842/7487
    R9 280X@x1.2     3dmkGPU:06/10/11/13-fs=28904/31964/9721/7314

13" Macbook Pro i5-3210M 3.1 HD4000 8GB 500GB Win7/64 +GTX660Ti@x2.2 DIY eGPU (TH05) 3dmkGPU:06/10/11=18569/24363/7810

Which is better? E6440 is 2.5+ times better at 70% the cost of the MBP making it 3.5+ times better value => MBP had to go

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nando: How do dynamic tolud laptops like t420 with latest bios do with dual gpu cards like gtx 590 or radeon 5970? Do such cards work with tolud or are they still problematic / is tolud not able to generate those 2x256mb space?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi nando4, is the dell XT3 basically just the tablet convertible version of E6330/E6230? are there any other significant difference? because im now shopping on their outlet store and if the only difference is the twisting screen, i can put it as one of my choice in the limited UK outlet store. or there are actually some other pro/cons that i need to take into account to. thank you.

also, the recent introduction of win8 should be an incentive for me to get the tablet convertibles like 230t, 2670 right?

just noticed that xt3 uses hd3000, which is probably a turn off in long run right?
    Last edited by Quest Ng; 01-14-2013 at 03:24 PM.