Anyone has the working 'Sleep Mode' with AKiTiO + nVidia setup?

ShiftZ

Hi all. I've got my eGPU setup working on MacBook Pro Late 13, but unfortunately i can not get 'Sleep' working on my Windows 7 x64 with any nVidia drivers.

I really really need the sleep mode to fix the known problem with constant cpu utilization on MacBooks since Yosemite upgrade. This is the only known workaround working on my MacBook.

powercfg -a gives me:

The following sleep states are available on this system: Hibernate
The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
Standby (S2)
Standby (S3)
Hybrid Sleep

Without eGPU i got Standby (S3) also as available.

Does anybody got working sleep mode?

Bootcamp drivers disable sleep in Windows when a Thunderbolt device is detected: MacWindows: Thunderbolt Limitations of Mac running Windows and getting around them

Oh.. and with my ZBook 17 G2, sleep isn't disabled by the drivers. However, when I try to sleep the system with the TB2 eGPU attached it can never resume back successfully.

Sleeping the system with Thunderbolt attached devices even had sleep disabled in Linux, but fortunately there some developers have found solutions: https://www.jethrocarr.com/2014/06/16/thunderbolt-and-other-macbook-hardware-issues-with-linux/

Don't use Sleep, use Hibernate. Using this for months now. If you don't have this option(idk anymore), then apply the Optimus mod for use of the internal screen with the eGPU. This enables the Sleep as well as Hibernate options(if the 2nd one isn't present before). Sleep doesn't work though like Tech Inferno Fan mentioned.

My boot is always: 1. Boot into Windows with eGPU on, hibernate when in log in screen. 2. Leave eGPU on, boot Windows again, the circle only moves a tiny bit and then you're at login screen again. The constant load of "System" is gone.

Edit: Ah, I just see that Hibernate is available, your powercfg excerpt shows it. So give it a go and see what happens.

Don't use Sleep, use Hibernate. Using this for months now. If you don't have this option(idk anymore), then apply the Optimus mod for use of the internal screen with the eGPU. This enables the Sleep as well as Hibernate options(if the 2nd one isn't present before). Sleep doesn't work though like Tech Inferno Fan mentioned.

My boot is always: 1. Boot into Windows with eGPU on, hibernate when in log in screen. 2. Leave eGPU on, boot Windows again, the circle only moves a tiny bit and then you're at login screen again. The constant load of "System" is gone.

Edit: Ah, I just see that Hibernate is available, your powercfg excerpt shows it. So give it a go and see what happens.

Hibernate is not working too. This options is available, but it only logging off and disables the screen. Any activity instanlty turns the display on. It is definetely not hibernation mode.

Optimus mode is enabled and working well.

Hibernate is not working too. This options is available, but it only logging off and disables the screen. Any activity instanlty turns the display on. It is definetely not hibernation mode.

Optimus mode is enabled and working well.

That's strange. Late 2013 is basically Mid 2014 model. The only reason it's not working like for me may be that you're using Windows 7. Maybe consider switching to Windows 8(.1) or 10.

That's strange. Late 2013 is basically Mid 2014 model. The only reason it's not working like for me may be that you're using Windows 7. Maybe consider switching to Windows 8(.1) or 10.

I have installed Windows 8.1 on USB drive. Hibernation mode on win 8.1 is not available at all. Both my Win7 and Win8 installed in MBR mode. Do you have EFI Win8?

I have installed Windows 8.1 on USB drive. Hibernation mode on win 8.1 is not available at all. Both my Win7 and Win8 installed in MBR mode. Do you have EFI Win8?

Yes, EFI Win 8.1 Pro. Usual installation via Bootcamp. Additionally I applied the Optimus mod from here -> http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html

Without the mod I didn't have Sleep or Hibernate available anyway with eGPU attached but no load on "System" either. After applying the mod I had the load and I'm following the described procedure from above successfully to get rid of it since then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.