AKiTiO Thunder2 for eGPU setup on ASUS G501JW via thunderbolt port

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if I posted this thread in the wrong place.

I am a PhD Student in New Zealand.

I want to build an eGPU setup to enable my Laptop to have stereo 3D via the external card. I will be testing it with quite a few cards GTX470, GTX570, GTX770(my current desktop driver) and a Quadro K5000 (which I need for my research). I wish to get the eGPU setup for my Stereo 3D research.

I am planning on buying the AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe box and use my laptop's thunderbolt port to connect the eGPU. I will primarily be using the setup for research but also sometimes for gaming.

What else other than a PSU and AKiTiO Thunder2 do I need to setup my eGPU? I live in New Zealand, can I ask AKiTiO to ship one here and still avail the 189$ discounted price our group gets?

If I am successful I will definitely make a tutorial for the ASUS g501JW eGPU setup.

Thanks a lot.

Yes I looked at that thread. Its very close to what I want to achieve.

My ultimate aim for this setup is to run my application that uses Quad Buffer stereo (windowed) which requires a Quadro card. Use eGPU to connect a quadro and a stereo 3D display to the quadro and run the application from the laptop. If this works it would be great. I have sent an email to AKiTiO for the discount price and shipping quote. fingers crossed i get the discount.

Cant wait to try the eGPU. it seems like the perfect companion to an ultra slim laptop.

Hey Silver,

Not sure if this has been answered in another thread but can't seem to find it. Does your Asus rog g501 have a thunderbolt 2 or thunderbolt 1 port? I'm seriously considering this as a desktop replacement atm and have just completed a 13" Macbook Pro 2011 eGPU build.

Thanks

Hey Silver,

Not sure if this has been answered in another thread but can't seem to find it. Does your Asus rog g501 have a thunderbolt 2 or thunderbolt 1 port? I'm seriously considering this as a desktop replacement atm and have just completed a 13" Macbook Pro 2011 eGPU build.

Thanks

Hi Daniel,

I Just discovered that the model I have only has a mini displayport. so my eGPU venture ends here.

Very disappointed and sad.

I have canceled the AKiTiO order.

:(

Ah damn man :/ Sorry to hear that, must be really frustrating :(

I think some of the US versions of the g501 do come with thunderbolt but I'm struggling to find much information out online. I'll let you know if I find anywhere that sells a thunderbolt one if you are interested?

Hi Daniel,

I Just discovered that the model I have only has a mini displayport. so my eGPU venture ends here.

Very disappointed and sad.

I have canceled the AKiTiO order.

:(

Hi, May i know the full model name of your G501? It should have thunderbolt2 port. There is a lot sub model for G501.

Hi, May i know the full model name of your G501? It should have thunderbolt2 port. There is a lot sub model for G501.

Its G501JW-DM271H.

I confirmed it with ASUS. it's just a displayport. It is missing some Thunderbolt hardware modules so a BIOS hack will not work. Only the 4K model in the US has the Thunderbolt Port. The port is marked as Displayport on amm models but the one on the 4K model the G501JQ-DS71 has the Thunderbolt 2.0 20GBPS Port.

I have another idea for eGPU. I should probably put it in a new thread.

So no Thunderbolt option for me :( sadness.

For anyone buying the Laptop for eGPU, please make sure you get the one with the 4K its the only one that has thunderbolt. Other than that its a nice slim gaming laptop that handles most games is mid-high settings quite well since its just 1080p. so its not bad for gaming.

Its G501JW-DM271H.

I confirmed it with ASUS. it's just a displayport. It is missing some Thunderbolt hardware modules so a BIOS hack will not work. Only the 4K model in the US has the Thunderbolt Port. The port is marked as Displayport on amm models but the one on the 4K model the G501JQ-DS71 has the Thunderbolt 2.0 20GBPS Port.

I have another idea for eGPU. I should probably put it in a new thread.

So no Thunderbolt option for me :( sadness.

For anyone buying the Laptop for eGPU, please make sure you get the one with the 4K its the only one that has thunderbolt. Other than that its a nice slim gaming laptop that handles most games is mid-high settings quite well since its just 1080p. so its not bad for gaming.

I hope your other idea for an eGPU works out!

The model you mention: G501JQ-DS71, do you mean G501JW-DS71? I want to make sure I purchase the correct one if I do decide to buy this laptop :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.