[Help] Intel Microcode mod for Asus Z10PE-D8

Interesting problem I'm having. I have a Asus Z10PE-D8 with BIOS Version 1001 which you can dl from here:

Server & Workstations | Z10PE-D8 WS | ASUS USA

I currently have a single (for now - despite my signature lol), Xeon E5-2690v3 ES (stepping M1) CPU in there. However this is where I start having issues. The CPU isn't really recognized correctly. The BIOS and Windows (10 Pro) see it as a "Genuine Intel® CPU @ 2.40GHz" and the model as a E5-2400 (which isn't even a real model number on the Intel ARK!).

Here are some screenies from (wide screenshot warning):

hwinfo and CPU-Z

Intel XTU

080297t784qQ.jpg

08022PK9246W.jpg

0802C8k813Hb.jpg

My CPU runs at 2.4 GHz with a turbo to 2.7GHz, way slower than what it should!

Originally I thought it might just be the ES version causing this, however!

If I look here I see a stepping M0 CPU (mine is M1) and it shows up fine with the correct speeds!

Intel Haswell-EP Xeon 12 Core Review: E5-2650L V3 and E5-2690 V3

I'd guess they are using the Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard for that review, the others appear to be for the E5-2650L-v3.

So now, I'm thinking oh, it's just a motherboard thing not seeing it correctly. And with a lot of digging around, it might be the microcode?

So I was looking around here and tried UBU:

[Tool Guide+News] "UEFI BIOS Updater" (UBU)

So after fiddling around with MMTool v5 and UBU I tried pulling the microcodes from the Asus X99 Deluxe and inserting them into the BIOS of the Z10PE-D8. anddddd. No dice! It refuses to save and sooooo.

Leads to this!

RE: AMI Aptio UEFI MMTool v5 available - 4

So now I'm pretty much stuck. What else could I try to get my CPU recognized correctly.

At least physically it looks like the normal 2690v3!

0802IvO6982C.jpg

Try UEFITool, that seems to work: Z10PE-D8-WS-ASUS-1001_mod.7z

Replaced rev. 14 in Z10PE with rev. 13 of the X99:

rkCT6.png

If that did the trick then it doesn't bode well ... the only difference between the two is that it's an older revision. What if Intel started cracking down on us ES/QS users :nightmare: ?

I am still seeing revision 14 in the modded BIOS. I tried it anyways and still no dice.

Interesting thing I just noticed.

CPU-Z and hwinfo are reporting the QDF of QEYJ. A ES2 version of the 2690 V3 should be QGNY.

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v3 - CM8064401439416 / BX80644E52690V3

Notice how the M1 stepped CPU is a QGNY for the ES version?

Although the reported stepping is L0. I wonder if this a really toned down version before M0 (QFRX) Since it would be in order:

L0: QEYJ

M0: QFRX

M1: QGNY

Release version (M1 stepped as well): SR1XN

From the anandtech link, we at least know the M0 stepped QFRX would be clocked correctly. If this really is a QEYJ then I guess it would be possible for it to be a toned down 2690 V3 with lower clocks. But it's hard to find any info about an Intel QEYJ through normal channels.

Perhaps it isn't 'toned down' per se, but the base model for the series. Intel doesn't actually make a 2690V3, after all, they make a bunch and give each a final label after testing. Found another L0 (E5 2630V3, QEYW), which does exactly what your L0 does, only clocked to 2200/2700 (should be 2400/3200).

Microcode downgrade is unlikely to help then. Issue was with the Asus bios, btw, not the tools. Maybe ThrottleStop?

Perhaps it isn't 'toned down' per se, but the base model for the series. Intel doesn't actually make a 2690V3, after all, they make a bunch and give each a final label after testing. Found another L0 (E5 2630V3, QEYW), which does exactly what your L0 does, only clocked to 2200/2700 (should be 2400/3200).

Microcode downgrade is unlikely to help then. Issue was with the Asus bios, btw, not the tools. Maybe ThrottleStop?

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing after doing some more digging.

So yeah, probably not a BIOS issue after all. I tried ThrottleStop to no avail. No settings there do anything. I tried XTU as well. I do see something interesting with hwinfo though:

0804Qe6351AR.jpg

Now getting OC'ing working would be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

angerthosenear,

i know its been a while but i'm finding myself in the same situation as you explain in this post, the same motherboard and cpu version (and ES model). were you able to resolve this problem or could you please folow up a bit? any advice you have would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance!

cheers.

• 4 weeks later...