Dell Inspiron 7720 650m GDDR5 modded vBIOS

Hello, I'm having a really hard time with this video card. The default GPU clock is 745mhz, it should boost to 835mhz. The problem is that it throttles down constantly. I read a thread, in which I found a way around the dynamic clock boost. So, now I can overclock the 650m manualy with nVidia Inspector. I tried to overclock the GPU to 1000, 900 and 800mhz, but in game, after 10 minutes it throttles down to 745mhz. And I can't overclock it back! I have to shut down the laptop and remove the charger. If I only restart Windows I can overclock the memory, but the GPU stays on 745mhz. The temps are normal, under heavy load they are 70-75. The OC is stable, on 1ghz GPU there're no artifacts or shutters.

I found modded bios-ses for 660m and 680m, so can anybody edit the bios of 650m? I would upload the BIOS, but GPU-z says: Bios reading not suported on this device.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I'm also looking for this VBios (and a lot of people I know also)). I tried to write to Dell's support but it seems that they are not going to fix this (Dell Inspiron 7720 Gpu boost turning off - Laptop General Hardware Forum - Laptop - Dell Community). Probably we should write to another T|I thread (http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1787-%5Bm14x-r2%5D-vbios-mod-higher-boost-clocks-test-versions-only-15.html) to svl7, and ask him if he could make Vbios for us (Vbios as I understand a part of Bios that could be found on Dell's site in Downloads section).

Do you have the latest BIOS on your system? Does the throttling also happen at stock clocks? Can you attach a GPU-Z log of your GPU which shows the clocks? Run a game for this, no furmark or similar crap.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes I have latest bios A08 from dell site (could be downloaded here) and 310.33 Nvidia drivers for gt650m. GPU is not overclocked, and yes throttling happens at stock clocks. I've run Crysis 2 for 30 minutes (attached GPU-Z log file), in this log file you could see that gpu boost was working for only 40 sec at 835mhz)) After 40sec throttling happens, temperatures was ok - max CPU temperature 73C and GPU 71C (I've an i5 model). I also tested boost in GTA4 and it was working for 4 minutes. Now to enable boost back I should turn off notebook and remove the charge cable. I don't have an idea why gpu throttles and how to fix this :(

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

I haven't read all the logs, but I do know that the 650 (In the alienware) likes to hang between 57-65c. No higher. If its in the 70s, then that may be the cause of the throttling. One thing you can try is to use Throttlestop to disable turbo for CPU and see if that helps to keep the temperature down. It also may just be the model of notebook. Cooling is key. If the notebook has a small fan or less than stellar cooling this may be an issue. (Sorry) Just trying to respond and think out loud here. Good Luck!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm ready to flash bios, but I need some instructions) Do I need to make a backup? I have a Win7 64bit so should I use WinFlash64.exe? How (just to run it or should I use a cmd like : WinFlash64.exe /file Bios.cap /ipf bios /sd /sn /shutdown)?)

Ok. This secure firmware upgrading stuff which got introduced in a lot of systems for Win8 is a big PITA, seriously. I can only think of one possibility which might work, but you'd need to do some tests for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, let's try to somehow prevent the card from throttling... Here's a version which should give result in 835MHz core clock, and increased software overclocking limits.

Flashing instructions: Grab the attached Flash Tool, extract it to a folder, put the BIOS file in there and run the FLASH.bat file.

Please report back with your results.

And as always, flash at your own risk.

Inspirion 7720 - A11 [650m mod 00].zip

Flash_Tool.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems that smth wrong with flash.bat, when I run this file it just immediately closes with no result. I try to perform it in 'cmd' and it says that "I" command is not valid, then I delete "echo ********* T|I ****************" from this .bat and it could be successfully run. Now I'm going to restart and test the results)

It seems that we have first great resultsicon7.png I played 40 minutes in different games and clocks doesn't drop to 745mhz!! This is the gpu-z log for last 20 minutes in Crysis2:

crysis2.txt

Without that modded Bios gpu boost always disables after 40sec in Crysis2! Now clocks were always at 835mhz, max gpu temp was 74C (you could see everything in log file).

Awesome)) Great job) Thank you svl7!!

I will continue testing))

dear svl7, could you send tweaked a11 BIOS & Flashtool via email or upload it onto smth like depositfile, please? neither me nor other our dell7720 forum at ixbt.com members just don't have 5 posts here, sorry.

Why does svl7 have to continue bending his back for you? Is modifying the BIOS for free not enough?

We aren't a download portal and have no plans of becoming one. This is a forum for discussion, just like any other. Anyone who want files off of this forum has to adhere to the forum rules and contribute 5 quality posts to the discussion to gain download rights or can become T|I Elite Members.

Here's a suggestion: read the forum rules before you start posting so you don't get banned.

Minimum Post Requirements (updated 10/29/12)

• You must have a minimum of 5 posts to send a private message, download attachment, send another member an e-mail, set a custom avatar, download files from the forum download section or upload photos to a personal album.
  • Any attempt to circumvent this requirement with spam posts, posts questioning the forum rules or e-mail requests for files will result in an infraction. Continued abuse of the forum rule will result in a permanent ban. There will be no appeals made once an administrator or super moderator has banned you permanently from this forum.
  • Reposting any files developed by T|I staff on other sites is forbidden and will result in a permanent ban, please respect the time and effort our staff puts in for you.

• Thumbs Up 1